Standing rigging replacement intervals

Apr 2, 2015
Catalina 36 MK11 Dana Point
I know there have been previous disscussions regarding standing rigging so please excuse me if this has been answered previously .
In the owners manual for my Catalina 36MK11 it states that the standing rigging should be replaced at 5 year intervals , that seems ridiculous . My boat is a 2002 with the original rigging . It shows no signs of wear or slippage at the swaged connections . The boat has been sailed only in southern California and probably has not seen a lot of heavy wind . Any input as to the longevity of the rigging ?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I'd recommend inspection of all standing rigging by a competent rigger every 5-10 years or so. That's been required by my insurance company as well.

Apr 2, 2015
I'd recommend inspection of all standing rigging by a competent rigger every 5-10 years or so. That's been required by my insurance company as well.
The Catalina Manual actually say to replace which seems unnecessary .

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Agree that replacement every 5 years seems extreme. My boat has solid rod rigging, so maintenance/replacement may be different as compared with wire. However, the wire headstay and backstay were in bad shape when I purchased the boat in 2008 - had them replaced at my first winter refit.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The 5 year recommendation is based on cruising not day sailing, IIRC. If you do one overnight passage while cruising, sailing for say 36 hours non-stop, you put more wear on your rigging than most do in a year.

A few months ago I had a conversation with a very knowledgeable rigger in the Boston area. I started by saying I wanted a rigging inspection on my 2001 boat. He asked me a series of questions about who we sail, how often, if we race, etc. After that he gave me some pointers on how to inspect the rigging myself and said he would look at having the mast taken down at 5 year intervals for complete inspection but that most likely parts would not need to be replaced. Since I had the mast down in 2012 and inspected it then he didn't think I had to do a full inspection.

I then told him we are leaving in October to cruise the Caribbean and possible beyond. He then recommended a full inspection. It's just that much more stress than your typical boat owner puts on the boat in seasonal use.

He is actually inspecting the boat on Friday. We'll see what he finds.

Sep 6, 2010
Tartan 40 Mattapoisett, MA
Hi JK,
would you care to share the name of that rigger. I may be needing one shortly is I move forward with the boat I'm considering.

Apr 2, 2015
The 5 year recommendation is based on cruising not day sailing, IIRC. If you do one overnight passage while cruising, sailing for say 36 hours non-stop, you put more wear on your rigging than most do in a year.

A few months ago I had a conversation with a very knowledgeable rigger in the Boston area. I started by saying I wanted a rigging inspection on my 2001 boat. He asked me a series of questions about who we sail, how often, if we race, etc. After that he gave me some pointers on how to inspect the rigging myself and said he would look at having the mast taken down at 5 year intervals for complete inspection but that most likely parts would not need to be replaced. Since I had the mast down in 2012 and inspected it then he didn't think I had to do a full inspection.

I then told him we are leaving in October to cruise the Caribbean and possible beyond. He then recommended a full inspection. It's just that much more stress than your typical boat owner puts on the boat in seasonal use.

He is actually inspecting the boat on Friday. We'll see what he finds.
Thanks for the info, I am curious what it cost you to take the mast down . I have a lot of home run cable like radar etc, that would have to be dealt with. Also why can't rigging and associated parts be replaced with the mast up ?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks for the info, I am curious what it cost you to take the mast down . I have a lot of home run cable like radar etc, that would have to be dealt with. Also why can't rigging and associated parts be replaced with the mast up ?
You can replace rigging with it still up but there are portions you can't inspect as well while still standing.

Last time I checked with my marina it was about $150-200 to step the mast but that was with me doing all of the disconnecting myself.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
In practice it would be unusual to need replacement in our location, and masts are rarely un-stepped. If you have doubts you could get a rigger to inspect, I'd expect that to cost about $180. I use Tony Cozad of AquaTech. At our yard it's $180 just to haul and leave in the slings for an hour over lunch. You could call them but pulling the mast is expensive.
I'm kinda familiar with your boat, having seen it around the harbor the last ten years, I don't think it has seen very hard use.
My boat is an 02 and the rigging is fine, the last time I saw my previous '94 Catalina the original rigging was still good.

Apr 2, 2015
In practice it would be unusual to need replacement in our location, and masts are rarely un-stepped. If you have doubts you could get a rigger to inspect, I'd expect that to cost about $180. I use Tony Cozad of AquaTech. At our yard it's $180 just to haul and leave in the slings for an hour over lunch. You could call them but pulling the mast is expensive.
I'm kinda familiar with your boat, having seen it around the harbor the last ten years, I don't think it has seen very hard use.
My boat is an 02 and the rigging is fine, the last time I saw my previous '94 Catalina the original rigging was still good.
I agree with you on all points , I will give Tony a call .
Thanks,
Ron