Standing Rigging Cost: DYI vs. Rigger

Jan 5, 2019
Catalina 1989 MarkII 30 Lake Winnebago
I’m looking at purchasing a 1989 Cat30 M2 tall rig. It has original standing rigging so I want to replace it. It has been sailed the Great Lakes out of Milwaukee. I want to factor replacement cost into my buying price. When you have compared DYI vs. Professional Rigger, what numbers did you come up with, please? When I have the boat transported, the mast will be taken off. It will be a prime time to get it done. Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I replaced all of my standing rigging last summer on the H27. Total cost from riggingonly.com shipped to NC was $700. This included swaged on studs and eyes. It was very time consuming to measure and install all the rigging, especially running the forestay through the roller furler. The forestay wire came with an uninstalled staylock fitting. Very happy with the results. I did get an estimate from the yards rigger that came to about 2/3 the value of the boat! Most of the estimate was based on many, many hours or work at yard rates.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What level of DIY are you comfortable with and what do you have for time? For boat stuff, the price difference between professional and DIY costs is generally very significant.
Another benefit of the DIY approach is getting to know your boat better. There's a lot of value in that, especially if you might need to repair something yourself when you are away from your home port.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Your ambition doesn't match your Avatar name, @Doctor Dolittle seems you would like to be Doctor DoMuch..........
I can't offer advice on the cost difference for standing rigging, all I can offer is, when I have had prices quoted by the yard they seem to be 150-200% more than doing the task myself. Given the task you are thinking about undertaking I have to ask how comfortable are you with putting together swagged fittings? Its not difficult but must to done to exacting spec's.

Jan 5, 2019
I enjoy learning, attention to detail, working with my hands and I have time to spare. I’m not a mechanic, but I’ve taken my motorcycle apart after studying up with manuals and Youtube instruction. I’d study-up and make sure I’m 100% capable before doing the work of a rigger. Safety is at stake. If I can do the job to perfection to achieve a zen-like experience, I’m in. Otherwise I have no problem deferring to the rigger. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is a task that can be accomplished. Riggers just have had more experience and may save money in the process. They have made up lines that come out too long or too short and have resolved the problem either by fixing it or having to cut new replacement cables and eat the cost or put the cable on the shelf to be used at the next job.

It is all about measuring the lines. Working from your boats published specifications, verifying that the specs match your boats lines. Ordering the cut lengths. Having the toggles and sewage fittings properly sized...... etc.
It can be done DIY.
I would consider using professional mechanical swaged fittings from a hydraulic press. More secure method of attachment.
The fittings you put together by screwing on to the end of the cable can be messed up if not completed correctly and become a weak point in your rig over time.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Doc, I had all new standing rigging put on my 93 C30 TR last spring. $1795 plus tax by professional rigger. I like to and mostly have done my own work but when it comes to standing rigging, I know my limitations.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I know where you could get a pretty good deal on a brand new, in the box, swaging tool. my wife bought me one for Christmas not knowing I had purchased one myself, the month before ;)

Jan 5, 2019
I priced the standing rigging out with Catalina Direct at $1,100. You send in the old gear and they replicate it. They told me they use a machine to "roll swedge the fittings". You can't argue that they would do the quality job. I could do it by hand, but the machine would make zen-like fittings.

Jan 5, 2019
I know where you could get a pretty good deal on a brand new, in the box, swaging tool. my wife bought me one for Christmas not knowing I had purchased one myself, the month before ;)
Ha! Thanks!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
If the mast will be down, either measure the stays/shrouds exactly or ship the wires to a reputable rigging company to have them duplicated using machined swaging equipment. Personally, I wouldn’t allow a local yard or local rigger to use hand held mechanical or hydraulic tools to swage the fittings. Let the pros use the proper swaging machinery to get the best possible swage; the integrity of your rig depends on high quality swages. You can get the yard or a rigger to “help” get the rig re-stepped and tuned.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I’m looking at purchasing a 1989 Cat30 M2 tall rig. It has original standing rigging so I want to replace it. It has been sailed the Great Lakes out of Milwaukee. I want to factor replacement cost into my buying price. When you have compared DYI vs. Professional Rigger, what numbers did you come up with, please? When I have the boat transported, the mast will be taken off. It will be a prime time to get it done. Thanks.
If you're going to drop the mast then you don't need to hire a rigger. while the mast is down take the old rigging to a shop and have it duplicated... or send it to an online service such as rig rite, west marine, etc. With your basic measurements, which can be determined from the Cat 30 owner's manual you should be able to get estimates from the various vendors. Pretty straightforward when you do it this way. If you're replacing turnbuckles... you might shop around.. Garhauer sells them at very reasonable price..

Jan 5, 2019
If you're going to drop the mast then you don't need to hire a rigger. while the mast is down take the old rigging to a shop and have it duplicated... or send it to an online service such as rig rite, west marine, etc. With your basic measurements, which can be determined from the Cat 30 owner's manual you should be able to get estimates from the various vendors. Pretty straightforward when you do it this way. If you're replacing turnbuckles... you might shop around.. Garhauer sells them at very reasonable price..
The quote from Catalina Direct includes new turn buckles, unless I’m mistaken.

Feb 16, 2017
The best swedging is using a rotary swedge. There are only a few riggers that have or access to one of these machines... Only rotary swedgers swedge to military specs.
And yes I have access to this machine.