Standard Horizon Remote Mic

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Clay why did Magellan stay on land and not venture into the Marine market? Was it the cartography?
Actually Magellan was one of the first company into marine plotters. We launched the FX series in 2003 and it was feature rich and very well received at the time. But it quickly became clear that if we wanted to play and survive in the marine business, we would have to build out an entire line of marine products that offered inter-connectivity beyond what NMEA0183 would provide. Our parent company (Thales -French multinational) said no dice, so sadly we wound it down and focused on devices that would be stand-alone. I still have two of the FX324 color units, and I'd mounted another on my old First 235!

414H5629VFL.jpg

The units used special version of Navionics Gold charting that we called 'BlueNav'. All other Magellan (land and air) units used Magellan-generated cartography, and some power-that-was wanted the marine units to look the same. Mostly because Garmin was generating their own marine charts, and we did not want to seem inferior by using someone elses charting. In the long run that was a huge PITA and a disservice to consumers once we stopped generating those map files.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
a huge PITA and a disservice to consumers once we stopped generating those map files.
And failed to create a link file to accept someones charts in lieu. These decisions get made and companies go forward. Customers most times head off in new directions. That is the tough part of "choosing a platform". Will it survive or be like the Atari and disappear leaving mayhem in the wake.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
And failed to create a link file to accept someones charts in lieu. These decisions get made and companies go forward. Customers most times head off in new directions. That is the tough part of "choosing a platform". Will it survive or be like the Atari and disappear leaving mayhem in the wake.
Yea, we generated the Bluenav charts until IIRC at least 2010. By then we had abandoned the small zones and went with the Continental XL zones just to save on the dizzying logistics of the small regions. I'd get emails from users still hanging on to units after that, then I'd gin up a new map and sent it them for free. Factory cards were copy protected but I'd turn that off; if they wanted to share it that was fine, and one less copy I'd have to make for someone else!

Products and technology get orphaned all the time. I've got several Garmin units (one beni of my job; buying and playing with competitive units!) that use a proprietary memory cartridge format!