Standard Horizon Remote Mic

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I had also considered taking the external speaker connection to the cockpit, mounting a volume control and wiring it into the remote mic speaker leads. Kind of a hack, though.

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
Please let us know if you find out the part number. I would be willing to come up to Westport from NJ. My soldering is not my forte.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I think that if we identify the part, and a source, and I verify the fix, we can handle yours by UPS. :)

I looked this morning and couldn't find the service manual online. I might have it on an older computer I will try to fire up tonight. Meanwhile, if someone can locate it that would be great.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
One thing you might try..Contact sultantronics in Sultan WA. He’s an independent repair guy that used to be at Icom

Feb 21, 2008
I spoke with Bruce from Sultantronics in Washington. He previously worked for iCom as a tech and seemed to know his stuff. He said he hasn't worked on an M402 for years but a repair may be possible. Taking into consideration the cost of the repair and the fact that the radio is probably around 10-12 years old, getting a new one may be the way to go. He had good things to say about iCom. Of course, none of the newer units will fit into the current size opening and none of them use the same extension cable for the remote. The thought of running a new cable is daunting. Maybe relocate the mic next to engine gauges in the cockpit not on the pedestal. Looking at the M424G with the remote mic. Any suggestions for location of the remote or other comments would be appreciated.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I thought you had the M502. Oh well, probably the same circuit and issue.

Feb 21, 2008
Its the M402. Don't think I posted that it was a M502. I also spoke with iCom the other day and they do not service it anymore. BTW, jviss, if you determine what is the fix, let me know because I am not buying a new radio real soon. I have a HX870 handheld that works fine but would like the M402 for redundancy.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Its the M402. Don't think I posted that it was a M502. I also spoke with iCom the other day and they do not service it anymore. BTW, jviss, if you determine what is the fix, let me know because I am not buying a new radio real soon. I have a HX870 handheld that works fine but would like the M402 for redundancy.
OK, I will.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
ICOM RANT ALERT

Just want to give fair warning. As I posted, the audio circuit on our M502 died. As the radio was 12 years old I opted to replace the M502 with a brand new M506. The lure of a Class D radio and the worry that the audio circuit was the first failure of things to come seemed to make it the prudent choice.

Ok, so ICOM decided to change the RAM mic and cable. If you look at the RAM mic end of the cable it is a 10-pin connector and not the 8-pin as before. The two extra pins are stubbed to two wires that come out of the back of the plug for an external speaker. Isn’t the RAM mic a speaker, but ok. The other end is the same old 8-pin connector. The new 8-pin connector even connected to the old 8-pin connector WHY? Why can’t manufacturers use the same cabling? I was tempted to try hooking the new cable to the old extension, but I behaved and pulled the new RAM mic cable with one extension. Took most of the day, as whoever did the last radio install zig-zagged the cables all over the place and used TWO extensions! I replaced 60 feet (two extensions) with 40 feet (one extension) and still cable to spare.

The rant is why can’t manufacturers use the same cabling and make it easier to replace an electronic black box when the old unit dies??? The radio will go in tomorrow, and will most likely install in under an hour.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Karl. A decent rant... Why can’t they... Well where is the profit in that approach...Marketing can get an extra 50 out of the buyer if they change the plug....

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
ICOM RANT ALERT
(RAM Mic is a Standard Horizon thing, Icom is Command Mic.)

I don't agree that Icom is making changes for profiteering reasons, not at all. The change is probably the result of market response. I found that the Command Mic connector was terrible. It admitted water easily, and when it's salt water, shorts the audio terminals and blows the audio output circuit in the base unit. ALso, the connector material was poor, and broke easily after a few years of age.

I reported to Icom America a few years ago that I thought they should really improve that connector, and also put some kind of protection in for the audio circuit, like opto-isolation or something.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Slightly off topic or maybe on topic. I have a bad RAM mic with good cord if anyone wants it. Only costs shipping.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Slightly off topic or maybe on topic. I have a bad RAM mic with good cord if anyone wants it. Only costs shipping.
And I can toss in a RAM mic with a cord that is separating, a M502 with no audio to the RAM mic but still works, a couple of cables and a couple of end caps!

Feb 21, 2008
Well, on the advice of the Admiral I did pick up an iCom M424G and will install
it. Still have to get the remote mic and install that. I was reading in the threads here about fusing. The new vhf comes with a wire about 18" long with an inline fuse that is closer to one end of the wire than the other. The fusing thread says the fuse should be near the protected unit. Does this mean that when connected, the fuse should be closer to the radio than to the power connection or doesn't those 18" matter?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Unless a manufacture decided to create and name an ad-hoc standard (like Raymarine Seatalk), you should never expect interconnects to work beyond the products named at the time of sale.

There was 12 years between those products. Manufactures continually improve their products, and that means the cabling as well. When I ran product planning at Magellan GPS, I can tell you maintaining compatibility for cabling that was not part of an established standard never factored.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Why are there so many USB style connectors? At the appliance end.
Computer connection standards have a long history of getting smaller and better; this is for three reasons.

1) Smarter signaling requires less pins, as discreet signaling (communication control) is now embedded in the data-path.

2) Smaller connectors require MUCH less space inside the device. The volume inside a cell phone that a USB micro requires vs USB mini (or USB!) is immense. Less volume here means more room for battery and other goodies, or a smaller device.

3) Never connectors are better designed for new uses. USC-C was designed for cell phone use. USB-mini was not, and that's why the pins fail so often.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Clay why did Magellan stay on land and not venture into the Marine market? Was it the cartography?