Standard Horizon Remote Mic

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
My VHF remote mic stopped working and traced the problem down the the connector at the helm that the mic plugs into. Seems that the pin in the 6 o'clock position is no longer there. May be the ground pin?

Can these pins be repaired or can I get a new end connector and splice it onto the wire coming from the radio below? I would really like to avoid running a new cable up to the helm.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
You can buy a replacement connector but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are adept at soldering.

Among the largest selection online is Mouser.com. Search under Audio connectors and under the tab DIN connectors you will find 370 different ones with pictures and pin-outs.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
The missing pin is most likely in the female portion of the connector.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Mine bit the dust earlier this year, not being sure if it was a fault in the RAM or wiring or radio I tested it on @jssailem boat. It didn’t Turn his radio on as it should. So only after order a new Mic John tells me he forgot to plug the radio into power. The good news is the new RAM fixed the problem

Les

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Funny, we just had this happened. I was thinking about buying the whole new plug and cable and cutting the cable a few inches back from the plug and can do my connections there to keep from fooling with the plug.

Feb 21, 2008
Update: first, smack me in the back of my head.......it's an iCom HM157 remote mic. Not that it really matters.
Yesterday, I cut the wires and soldered the very tiny wires including the Black wire that was two wires internally. Plugged in the mike and turned on the radio and the mic worked! Almost. All the functions work and it broadcasts. The only thing not working is the speaker in the mic. I checked all connections and all seemed fine. I saw a post somewhere that maybe the speaker wire inside the mike is loose. Will check that today.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
As someone who has toasted two SH RAM. Be sure that the radio is turned off before connecting or disconnecting the RAM.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Be sure that the radio is turned off before connecting or disconnecting the RAM.
There is a cautionary tag attached to the cable. I thinks sometimes folks forget it that hurry to wrap up the sail and begin the party. And SH gets to sell them a replacement.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Update: first, smack me in the back of my head.......it's an iCom HM157 remote mic. Not that it really matters.
Yesterday, I cut the wires and soldered the very tiny wires including the Black wire that was two wires internally. Plugged in the mike and turned on the radio and the mic worked! Almost. All the functions work and it broadcasts. The only thing not working is the speaker in the mic. I checked all connections and all seemed fine. I saw a post somewhere that maybe the speaker wire inside the mike is loose. Will check that today.
I have had that very same problem with two IC-M502 radios and the HM157 remote mic. There is no short circuit protection in the audio output circuit that is inside the M502 that drives the speaker in the remote mic. A short, which in my case was caused by salt water, will blow that circuit. The only recourse is to send the base unit to Icom for repair.

Not saying that's your exact problem, but it was certainly mine, with the same symptoms.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
JVISS, I will contact iCom today. Thanks.
Let me know what they say! I understand the IC-M502 is no longer supported, not sure about repairs. I have one (spare) that has that problem, and two installed on my new-to-me boat.

Feb 21, 2008
To save me some time, do you know what the new model with the same features is?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I don't. There is an M502a - I had one of those, and one of the non-"a" versions, on the old boat. I'm not sure which versions are on the new boat.

Perhaps like you, I'd like to know of a newer model that fits in the same hole!

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
The ICOM M502 (both versions) are no longer supported by ICOM. I just checked as the audio circuit to the remote mic just failed on my radio. Guess it is time for an update.

The M506 is slightly wider and longer than the M502. Not an issue. The problem is the remote takes a different cable. So I’ll be installing the radio , less then an hour, and then spending most of the day pulling a new remote cord for the mic. Why can’t manufacturers plan upgrades better? OK, it’s a rhetorical question.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
If we could get the part location (reference designator) and part number for the blown audio component, it would probably be a cinch to replace it. Think they'll tell us?

I had the schematics once. Not sure I can find them again.