Stanchion

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
The base on both cockpit stanchions is not flat. Is this by design as both sides look identical or have they been bent?

Attachments

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Looks like my "friend" George S. sold you a lousy boat. Just joking!
Come to think of it, I think mine may be like that. Have to look.

I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon.

Hershey

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Thx. I was aware of this before I bought the boat and got replacements ready. But I have seen pictures online from othe boats that show the same... Bend is even and identical on both sides...that's why I'm wondering. Also no leak visible inside the cabin....

Mar 11, 2014
I had a chance to check on this on two boats and it seems unique. While they may be consistent from side to side that may be from a hoist strap exerting the same pressure on both stanchions. I checked mine,Hull 1057 and a friend's, hull 276 and neither have these deflections. So I'd bet it didn't come from the factory that way. As to what to do? Maybe nothing if it isn't leaking or causing an issue. Good luck and good sailing!

Feb 16, 2017
Those are classic bent 1/8" Stanchion bases, this is caused by the pulling in or pushing in on the life lines and stantions while sailing and docking. This is easily corrected by cutting of the thin existing plates and welding on new bases using 3/16" plate. If you do this there is another trick to the job that creates a lot more room and comfort on deck. For cruisers angle the the stanchion out past vertical 2-3 degrees, racers I would suggest 10 degrees.

Dave