Stanchion replacement

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
I need to replace one of the stanchions on my C22 Mk ll, but am unsure how to do this.
The base of the stanchion is through bolted to the deck, but the securing nuts on the underside do not appear to be accessible from inside the cabin. It looks as thought the stanchions may have been secured to the deck during original manufacture, prior to the deck being attached to the hull of the boat.
Can anyone advise me how to proceed with this? I cannot believe that I am the first one to face this problem!
Thanks for any advice.
Chris115

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
After consulting with Catalina Direct, it looks like aluminum plates were glassed into the deck that were then drilled and tapped for the optional stanchions. I understand that I should be able to simply back out the fasteners from the above deck, clean up the deck, apply the new sealant to the fasteners / underside of the stanchions and install the new stanchions.
Hope this will help anyone else contemplating replacing their stanchions on a Mk ll.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Ah, that explains it! That's how the aft ends of the bow pulpit are fastened on my '88 New Design. Pics: