Stanchion removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
I need to remove a leaking stanchion on 2001 C310, first stanchion back from bow pulpit starboard side. Access to nuts in v berth seems nonexistent. I can see the nuts in the main saloon stanchions but cant even feel them in vberth. Has anybody had the pleasure of removing one of these?
Thanks,
Mike

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Yeah, Mike, I replaced the same stanchion on my 2003 310. I took a chance and unscrewed the four mount screws, bedded the new stanchion, and re-inserted the four screws. The screws tightened up fine, and have stayed that way for 6 years and over 6,000 miles. I'm assuming the backing plate is drilled and tapped to receive the mount screws. One other thing, the mounting plate on the bottom of the stanchion is Z-shaped to allow for the different heights of the deck and the outside edge (toe bump?). My new stanchion's Z mount didn't match the old one's, so I added stainless steel washers under the new mount to get the stanchion to fit. Good luck, and I hope it works out as well for you.

Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
Thanks Tom, I was really hoping that a backing plate was the answer. I will be rebedding the original stanchion, its fine, but I'm not sure why its leaking so badly. I did have a lot of weight on all stanchions after heavy snow buiding up on shrinkwrap last winter here in New York but only this one appears to be leaking. Thanks again for your response,
Mike

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Sorry no pics. I won't be back to the boat until late May.

Mar 30, 2007
Catalina 310 Manalapan, NJ
I have had the distinct displeasure of having to replace 2 stanchions on my 2005 310 and it wasn't fun. I had to replace them becasue they were bent by the weight of the ice and water that collected in the gullies of my winter cover. I suspect that your leak may have been caused by a similar phenomena.
One of my stanchion was in the V-birth and the other in the cabin. Initially I also assumed that there were glassed in backing plates but I can assure that on my 2005 310 there are not. There are simply washers and bolts. With a little bit of luck, when you remove the outside screws some of the washers and bolts may very well stay in their original spots due to the calking around them. This happended to me about half the time and made it a lot easier to get the screws back in. By the way, the screws are not all the same size so pay attention to where each inserts. Half of the nuts and washers, however, fell off when I removed the outside screws.
In the V-birth, you first need to remove all the molding and the side panel. To remove the side panel, a screwdriver with a flexible shank may help. However, for most pf the screws you do not have enough room and you must cut some access holes in the headliner in order to insert a screwdriver. I did this with a Dremel tool. Fortunately, when you reassemble the wood, the top molding will cover the holes in the headliner. Even after removing these panels it will be very hard to see the bolts but they are there. Then with a myriad of wrenches, curved tongues, needle nosed vice grips, etc, etc. you will be able to remove the bolts and replace them. Hope this helps a little
Jeff.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Wow, thanks Jeff. Guess I really lucked out when I replaced my stanchion. Hope I never have to replace another one. Makes me wonder why the boat manufacturers don't use captured nuts in those hard to reach places.

Status
Not open for further replies.