Stanchion removal challenge Catalina 28 Mk II

May 28, 2019
catalina 28 mk II perth
Hi Guys,
I have a Catalina 28 Mk II hull 725 built 2003. I am trying to remove the port forward stanchion in order to repair of replace. I have bit of a challenge not only in that it is a very confined space to access the nut on the through hull bolt/screw but the nut is nearly embedded in the inner lining. Has anybody had and solved this problem.
IMG_8773.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yes, use a open end flat wrench (spanner) to hold the nut and draw the bolt out from the deck side with a heavy screwdriver.... or a powered impact nut driver. When the bolt turns it will pin the spanner against the molding, giving it the necessary resistance and holding it in place. A piece of tape can hold it initially.
A little pb blaster can also help. The biggest problem is getting enough leverage on the bolt's head.... so find a screwdriver with a square shaft that you can clamp on an adjustable wrench or some locking pliers to give you more power. It's important that the blade of the driver fits the slot perfectly.
If this method doesn't work.... you'll need to trim away enough molding to get at the bolt with a socket, or one of those nifty ratcheting box wrenches. A powered multi tool is perfect for cutting out the liner ... and no one will really notice change afterward... especially if it's up in the vee berth.

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
You can buy a HEAVY slotted screwdriver bit (I think a #3 or #4 slotted.). Otherwise Home Depot has a heavy (Husky) slotted screwdriver with a square shank that I use on slotted track bolts. An impact drill/driver and the large bit may be the best bet.

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
Several years ago I went through the same on my 1991 Catalina 28. I bent an old bicycle wrench (think it was 5/8") that was real thin and allowed me to get 1/8 or 1/4 inch turn at a time. After a bit of looseness it was possible to angle the stanchion a bit to get a deep socket up there.
Patience and perseverance -

Attachments