Stanchion base

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
I have managed to remove one of the stanchion bases of my Beneteau 361 as I need to fix the fiberglass that "sits" on it. As you can see it looks bent (or is it bend?). However, looking at how strong the base is, it makes me wondering if it was supposed to be bent like this. I cannot imagine what could make it like this without causing a serious damage to the boat. It needs something more powerful than the usual habit of pushing the boat from the stanchions.
Just to add that the stanchion bases sit on the aluminium toerail right at the edge of the hull unlike other models that sit just inside the wood rail. Any ideas before I try to straighten it (and hopefully not break it).

Attachments

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
A better idea would be to order a new stanchion base from Beneteau.
Any attempt to straighten the stud will at best weaken it or at worst fracture it. That would be especially true if you were going to heat it.
Judging from the corrosion that is showing, its already on its way to failure.
Its not very likely that the base was manufactured with a deliberate bent stud,but its possible I suppose.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Another option would be to cut the bent stud off the base and have a good welding shop weld a new stud on the base.. A new base would probably be cheaper.. How is the stud attached to the base? Is it maybe threaded into a socket in the base bottom?

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
I removed today the stanchion base on the opposite side. So to answer to myself, no it's not supposed to be bent. OK, one more work in the to do list.....