ST60 Depth transducer leaking after haul out

Dec 5, 2010
Beneteau 331 0 Niceville FL
After our recent haul out for fresh bottom paint we developed a pretty good leak around the depth sounder transducer...boat is now back in the yard to re-bed or replace the transducer. Anyone else ever have this issue?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
What do you mean "around the transducer"?
A picture would help.

Do you mean "in the sleave" around the transducer? Or on the outside of the sleave?

Whose system (RayMarine, Simrad, Garmin, etc.)? Which model of transducer system?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
No, I haven't had that happen. But it's not hard to imagine that the boat bends and twists in the slings and more if it is set up on stands. And then back into the water. So the sealant may have let go. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Last edited:
Dec 5, 2010
Thanks for the ideas and input.
It is a Raymarine unit about 15 years old...looks like the water is coming out under the flange/nut with the gasket under it....I do suspect the strap was directly accross the transducer and broken the seal, as far as I can tell the unit can’t be removed from inside like the speed unit.
Once I get the report back from the yard I will post the final outcome.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Strap should not do that, in my experience. It could ruin a paddle wheel speed sensor. But unless you had a protruding transducer (like a forward or side-to-side) it shouldn't affect it. Does the yard use carpet or other pads on the canvas?

If you don't have a Sleeve-type mount, then you have to have the transducer properly rebedded.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I had mine leak after a haul out. Have no idea why, but it must have been leaking as the wood backing pieces were rotted so I replaced them with PVC boards. As this yard was in the middle of nowhere I had to use 5200 :yikes: as that was all they had available. It has worked for 3 years now with no problem.

Attachments

Dec 5, 2010
Update: depth sounder transducer rebedded, speed unit housing replaced and rebedded...no more leaks.
I guess after 15 years it was their time. Thanks to The Boat Yard and Marina in Fort Walton Beach for the fast haul out and repairs.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I didn't know any of the depth transducers were removable (sleeved). I thought they were all one piece. Again I learn something new.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
THIS is one of the reasons that every boat should have sling locations prominently marked on the top sides. You should see the damage that can be done when a boat hangs on it’s prop shaft in the sling.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The reason for having removable depth sounder is to allow replacement without having cut-it out; and, to avoid bottom paint over the transducer (which often interferes with the signal).

A properly padded sling and a property reinforced penetration will do fine with being "slung". A paddle wheel for a speedo always, and many non-flush depthsounders. would be likely toast.