SSB Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Omar Van Rooyen

I am attempting to install a SEA 222 SSB in my Mk III C36. The grounding copper needs to be grounded through the hull in order to get a good ground plane. As far as I know, the thru hulls are not metal. Is there anyone out there who has grounded a SSB. I intend to mount the antenna tuner in the starbord aft cockpit locker beside the manual bilge pump.

B

Bob Teeter

I have not installed a SSB, but I did go to a presentation where it was discussed in detail. They said that you are trying to obtain a large ground plain and not just a ground to water. They suggested using the copper foil for this purpose. It needs to be a least 100' long and needs to run around the boat. It is not important to attach it to the boat, but if you follow the water line, it should work. They also mentioned grounding the same copper foil to a keel bolt and to the engine. If all else fails, there is a commercial ground plate that is a very pourious material and is mounted through the hull. Apparently the better the ground plain, the better the signal. Good luck. Bob Teeter Camelot C 42 #215

Status
Not open for further replies.