Spring frustration with my MH37

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
It's been a hell of a spring so far:
Dealer repair to deck leaks were a complete and utter failure.
Shower sump pump float is stuck shut
I60 Wind Instrument indicates direction but no speed.
After bending on the mainsail and furling, found the furling drum was cracked into a dozen or more pieces.
What else could be next?. We've owned 4 Hunters, but this one is truly a lemon.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
That is really disappointing especially when David Marlow prides himself on quality. We have a good friend with a 2013 MH 40, nothing but trouble. Sad, considering the price of a new MH.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
That is really disappointing especially when David Marlow prides himself on quality. Sad, considering the price of a new MH.
Very frustrating indeed; however, you can’t blame Hunter for most of these problems. Hunter doesn’t manufacture wind instruments, sump pumps/floats, and furling drums. On the other hand, you can blame them for the deck leaks and the dealer’s failure to repair. If these items fall within Hunter’s warranty provisions or not, I would get on the dealer, especially with regards to the deck leaks. If still no satisfaction, contact MH customer service manager. If not still covered by the Hunter warranty, perhaps you can seek either repair or replacement of the components directly from the manufacturers at no cost to you as the parts failed prematurely.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
After bending on the mainsail and furling, found the furling drum was cracked into a dozen or more pieces.
What year is the boat? Just curious. Was it stored outdoors or i the cold? Mast in or out for storage?

I ask because water and freezing could account for the furler damage, and unstepping/stepping the mast could account for the wind speed not working.

Deck leaks - what kind, where?

May 10, 2004
It's a 2015. Boat was stored outside and we had unstepped the mast to facilitate the leak repairs. This is the third time the dealership has attempted deck repairs. The measurements from the wind transducer indicate no problems from the masthead. The mast was stored partially disassembled with the drum opening facing down.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
So, I guess it wasn't ice that cracked the drum? Maybe it was broken by whoever unstepped/stepped the mast? I can't see how that's an MH issue.

Wind speed, do you have a good signal the the display?

I would say "three strikes and you're out!" to the dealer. Have you escalated to MH? To preserve the boat you might want to consult a real expert, either a professional repair person or experience marine surveyor.

What kind of leaks? Is it through fittings, stanchions, etc.?

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Obviously dealer has no idea what he is doing, which doesn't surprise me at all. I bet the repair was just more sealant, with no thinking. I think a measured, scientific approach needs to be taken. I remember a while ago another member suggested slightly pressurizing the boat with a smoke machine and then looking for the smoke leaking. This is a common method used to find leaks on automobiles. I bet to solve this problem you are going to have to get involved directly. Hope this doesn't ruin your summer season.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I'm sympathetic to your problems but a couple of thoughts:
1. Was the boat previously owned or was she sitting on the hard outdoors at the dealer's since 2015? I ask this because I purchased a 44DS back in 2007 which had not been previously owned and sat outside for 2 years. However the mast was stored indoors and she was shrink wrapped during winter months. Our climate is somewhat milder than what yours must be but our boat suffered no damage at all.
2. Water intrusion and freezing could certainly cause the leaks and the shattered drum. The key is how she was stored. I wonder how your surveyor missed the damaged furler?
Also, my thought would be to take a deep breath and go at these issues one by one with as little emotion as possible. You have a beautiful new yacht and these issues, while aggravating, are not show stoppers in my view. I think it is a bit early to declare your new boat is a "lemon". This too will pass.

May 10, 2004
Actually, I bought the boat new back in 2015. The leaks have been present since I itoal delivery. The dealer has removed and rebedded the cabin windows 3 times, this last time also rebedded the I board chainplate and jib track. The dealer is not getting any support or reimbursement from Marlow Hunter.

Sadly, a lot of the issues are with vendor supplied equipment. This spring is honestly the worst iveI had in 25 years of boating when it comes to the number of unexpected repairs.

May 10, 2004
Actually, I bought the boat new back in 2015. The leaks have been present since I inital delivery. The dealer has removed and rebedded the cabin windows 3 times, this last time also rebedded the I board chainplate and jib track. The dealer is not getting any support or reimbursement from Marlow Hunter.

Sadly, a lot of the issues are with vendor supplied equipment. This spring is honestly the worst iveI had in 25 years of boating when it comes to the number of unexpected repairs.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Geez, I though my cup was full. Some times you eat the worm, sometimes the worm eats you. You have a drum on your main furler? The Selden rig on my 08 does not. There is a foil only that coils the sail and that foil is rotated in and out by a continuous line. Their is no drum at the base of the sail. I really hate to here about your problems because boats ownership is tough even when everything goes has expected.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The last "big" deck leak I tracked down on the Bavaria was due to the screws attaching the Dorade box to the top of the house. Water was getting into the space between the deck and the liner, then making its way in various directions. The worst was dripping out of the "ceiling" light fixtures in a couple of places. Re-bedded the screw holes; all good now. I'd look for anything on top that potentially opens the deck-liner space to water ingress.