Spring cleats

Feb 16, 2015
Hi I am planning on installing a track and track mounted cleats on the fiberglass toe rail
I have seen pictures of other Catalina yacht that have done this.
My problem is you can not access the toe rail from under the deck to bolt off
Has anyone done this or is there stainless steel built in to the toe rail so you can tap a thread in ?
Any ideas ?

Cheers mat

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
There is an aluminum plate embedded in the toe rail. That's why there are no nuts on the outer bolts on the stanchions.

So you could just drill and tap the metal plate. I used this method to add cleats to the stern for the dingy. Here is the post.

I never really considered this for a spring line cleat because the ones that slide on the jib track worked fine when we were at a dock.

Good luck and let me know if you have questions.

Feb 16, 2015
Thanks stu and jk
That is perfect
I well just tap the threads for the tracks in the aluminium
I might even install a cleat on the stern at the same time great idea

Just one question what size drill bit did you use first for the 1/4 tap

Cheers mat

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
1/4-20 tap uses a #7 or 13/64 bit. There are tables online to look those up.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks stu and jk
That is perfect
I well just tap the threads for the tracks in the aluminium
I might even install a cleat on the stern at the same time great idea

Just one question what size drill bit did you use first for the 1/4 tap

Cheers mat
You can buy a matched drill bit and tap at the hardware store. I recommend that approach.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'm with Jesse on this. The sliding cleats on the jib track work great! If there is concern about chafing on the toe rail, the toe rail on the C310 is rounded enough so that really isn't an issue. By the way, Jesse, I enjoyed your story in Cruising Outpost.

Jul 8, 2015
Catalina 309 New Orleans, LA
There is an aluminum plate embedded in the toe rail. That's why there are no nuts on the outer bolts on the stanchions.

So you could just drill and tap the metal plate.
309 owner here. Had to come over to the 310 blog to find out i had an aluminum plate embedded in my toe rail. Thanks guys, that will make things much easier in the future. :LOL: