Spring Break On The Horizon

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
April 7-15 spring break offers an opportunity here to jettison the hard and reach for some water time. Hopefully, the weather will have moderated some by then. One can only hope. So, an itinerary might include Friday Harbor/Roche Harbor, or some place never tried, preferably an anchorage somewhere in the San Juan Islands. Any suggestions; I'm open?

Been by Maple Bay before a number of times, but never stopped. Perhaps Stu might be home for a visit, eh?

Plan to install my new anchor chain this weekend; fifty feet of ACCO brand domestic 5/16th hot dipped galvanized grade 40 (G4) chain. Debating whether to stay with the current warp splice or go with a thimble. The splice has held well over the years and slides smoothly through the bow roller and windlass. The original thimble worked well, too until it wore out from use and corrosion.
Ocean1.jpg

Ocean2.jpg

Ocean3.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Gee, Terry, just another one of your calmer anchorages? :)

I'm game.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
:wow3:

I'm guessing it must have calmed down by now or you would still be there snapping picture. Amazing shots of an awesome spectacle!

I hope your first sail of the season is as incredible.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
@Terry Cox ,
Would it be ok with you if I used elements from one or two of those pictures as models for some of my wood burnings? I don't know what I'd do, but they would all make great subjects.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 25, 2000
@Terry Cox ,
Would it be ok with you if I used elements from one or two of those pictures as models for some of my wood burnings? I don't know what I'd do, but they would all make great subjects.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Hi Will, whether to use his photos would be up to him. Probably okay, but defer to Erick.

Dec 25, 2000
Charleston, Oregon just south of Coos Bay where I used to live had these storm surges coming into the jetty. I would stand for hours watching and feeling these huge rollers arriving from the ocean crashing into the breakwater, many looking very much like the ones in the photos. Out in the channel they had these huge marker buoys maybe fifteen feet high that would completely disappear in the swell troughs as they rolled in, one after another, after another... A most hypnotizing event to watch.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
April 7-15 spring break offers an opportunity here to jettison the hard and reach for some water time. Hopefully, the weather will have moderated some by then. One can only hope. So, an itinerary might include Friday Harbor/Roche Harbor, or some place never tried, preferably an anchorage somewhere in the San Juan Islands. Any suggestions; I'm open?

Been by Maple Bay before a number of times, but never stopped. Perhaps Stu might be home for a visit, eh?

Plan to install my new anchor chain this weekend; fifty feet of ACCO brand domestic 5/16th hot dipped galvanized grade 40 (G4) chain. Debating whether to stay with the current warp splice or go with a thimble. The splice has held well over the years and slides smoothly through the bow roller and windlass. The original thimble worked well, too until it wore out from use and corrosion. View attachment 147673
View attachment 147674
View attachment 147676
You might need to increase your anchor rode scope. Jeepers. That’s some kinda spicy!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I would stand for hours watching and feeling these huge rollers arriving from the ocean crashing into the breakwater,
And I suspect others were watching and wondering about you. o_O

Coos bay? That's where my IP 35 is "home-ported". But not for long.

Dec 25, 2000
Counting down, fifteen more work days until spring break. Installed the new chain Saturday. Took the old over to Boaters Discount to see whether they can sell it for me. Still in okay shape. Decided to go with a thimble this time rather than a warp splice.

Dec 25, 2000
Coos bay? That's where my IP 35 is "home-ported". But not for long.
Moved there after college in March of 1967. Started my career there with, what was then called, General Telephone Company of the Northwest. Also where I found my soon to be wife, now of 49 years. Company transferred our family to Beaverton, OR in 1973.

Summers very predictable. Calm warm sunny mornings, afternoons cold, windy and foggy. Sand in everything. Autumn and spring the best weather. Good pigeon, deer and elk hunting. Lots of crab, too.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Terry, I knew we had covered some of the same ground. Lived in Coquille from 1973-1976. Great time. Ocean storms are a hoot. Just need to be in a position so the logs don’t come out of th water and spoil your day.

Dec 25, 2000
Lived in Coquille from 1973-1976.
Just missed you. Myrtle Point also a very nice small community. One of our favorite summer camp sites with the boys was on the south fork of the Chetco River in Brookings. https://mapcarta.com/23852052 Our camp site was east of the south fork recreation site by maybe a quarter mile. There is a gravel bar where we would setup camp. The river there had a pool that was about six feet deep with a rock outcropping for diving. Had a great time chasing trout with my snorkel gear, playing about in our small inflatable boat and hiking.

It is gone now, but back then there was a ship captain who had built a large two story log home on the north side of the Chetco for his new bride that overlooked the Chetco River valley to the west. Home was abandoned when we explored it. Quite the place.

Deer hunting Sixes River, Elk Hunting Weyerhaeuser land up Coos River. Great times.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Caught my first Chinook 29 lbs 21 inches at Coquille Falls with the help of an old salt/mountain man.
Shot my first duck from a canoe in flood water near Johnson’s mill pond. Mmmmmm it tasted good. All crispy.
My wife taught at the Broadbent Elementary school. Canoed the Rouge River near Lobster Creek Bend.
Caught a monster Chinook 36lbs on 12 lb rest in the mouth of the Rouge.
Used to camp south of Powers. Dog ran out of the tent and smack into a skunk. Tried to wash the smell in the creek. Then tried to get back into the tent. Boy that was a long night.

Dec 25, 2000
As I mentioned earlier I began my 31 year career with General Telephone of the Northwest. The first six months was outside craft installing residential and small business phones from Reedsport to the north, south to Gold Beach and east to Myrtle Point. The next six months I was moved to what they called the cut crew. There we (three of us) did ten to five party cuts, arial to underground cable conversions, and other assorted duties. During that stint they sent me on a five day trip to Agness on the Rogue River east of Gold Beach to change over the community of about twenty residences from ten to five party. Stayed in the Lodge where the Illinois River empties into the Rogue. Quite the rustic place. After that first year, the company promoted me into management.

Shot my first elk, a three point, in Weyerhaeuser country above Coos River. Deer in Sixes, pigeon out in the sand dunes of North Bend, etc. No skunks.