Spreaders & Compression Post Idiocy

Sep 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Porterville, CA
Working on Merganser's refit some today and wanted some input on these photos. The first is of the worn out spreader boots. I am curious if any captains here would recommend replacing them with a leather or rubber spreader boot kit? Which is better? Also, it appears that there was something else around the other end of the spreaders where they meet the mast. Can't tell what they were anymore. Guidance would be appreciated there as well.

Also, whilst removing teak parts for refinishing today, a well intentioned helper, following poor guidance from the skipper (that would be me), busted the top of my compression post where the bolt comes into it through the tabernacle. I don't see a replacement available on Catalina Direct. Any advice?
MVIMG_20180123_130923.jpg
MVIMG_20180123_130911.jpg

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Also, whilst removing teak parts for refinishing today, a well intentioned helper, following poor guidance from the skipper (that would be me), busted the top of my compression post where the bolt comes into it through the tabernacle. I don't see a replacement available on Catalina Direct. Any advice?
I will let others weigh in on the leather vs rubber boots as I have only had the rubber ones and have wondered which is better myself.

For a compression post you might find one on eBay cheaper than you can make one.

With regard to your pictures. At the mast attachment it looks like old duct tape and rigging tape. The spreader should slide freely into the bracket and is secured with a single bolt that goes through from top to bottom. If you have the tech manual there are great pictures of the attachments at both ends of the spreader and the original drawings.

Going forward I would remove all the old tape, boots, etc. and start fresh. That way you can see what was previously covered up. After all the spreaders are a crucial part of your rig and should not be missing any pieces, hardware, etc. All the mast hardware is avaible from various vendors should you find something broker or missing.

Sep 19, 2017
Thanks LakeShark! I will take a closer look for the bolts. I'm sure they taped it for some, probably dubious, reason. I'll check eBay. I also emailed Catalina Direct to see if they can get a hold of one.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The condition of the frayed duct tape on the spreaders is a good illustration of its poor weather resistance. Use rigging tape next time.. The rubber spreader boots are long gone, looks like a previous owner tried to extend their life with two sided rigging tape... which is much more weather resistant than duct tape.
On a boat where the mast is designed to drop easily... there is really no reason for letting either of those conditions shown in your pics to develop because they are very easy to inspect and maintain... as opposed to a boat with a fixed mast that would require some climbing. The damage shown in the picture of your spreader boots is caused by the shrouds moving around a lot when the mast is being stepped or taken down. So you will have to pay attention to them on a regular basis, no matter what type of boots you choose.

Sep 19, 2017
Thanks for the input Joe. I agree, previous owner should have been more diligent in that regard. Just FYI, Catalina Direct does not carry the compression post. They advised seeking out a local wood shop.

Sep 19, 2017
Yea, I saw this one. Will probably order it. A friend of mine makes custom furniture, I'm gonna hit him up and see what he would charge me for a new one. Probably gonna have him do the table as that needs replacing as well.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I have a compression post and the trim ring if you are interested.
The tape of the spreader inboard bracket is just stupid... trying to keep water out to prevent corrosion, but duct tape breaks down in UV pretty fast. Best protection for aluminum spreaders is a healthy coat of tef-gel. You could also drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the spreader bracket tube to allow water to drain.
For spreader boots, I'd go with leather. the Edson leather boots are a rip-off at $80. Pretty easy to get some craft leather, make a pattern, and sew them on yourself. I had a pattern that I downloaded off Google images somewhere, I'm pretty sure if you toyed with some scrap material you could tweek the pattern size.

Sep 19, 2017
Thanks for the responses. CloudDiver, I do have some scrap leather laying around. I'll see what I can make up. Worst case, I'll order them from Catalina Direct and make a pattern future repairs. I wish I would have thought of that Will before I order a used compression post off of eBay last night!

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Google Sailmakers leather. There are several places selling it at about $8.00 a sq. ft. That what the Edson spreader boots are made of. A compression post is just that, a post. Depending on how fussy you are you can cut a few inches off yours and splice in a spacer, or have a custom made teak and titanium post, functionally they are equal.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Thanks for the responses. CloudDiver, I do have some scrap leather laying around. I'll see what I can make up. Worst case, I'll order them from Catalina Direct and make a pattern future repairs. I wish I would have thought of that Will before I order a used compression post off of eBay last night!
I wouldn't go for that Lowe's leg table... it's a softwood, and its no long enough. A trip to any lumber-yard would be better, a simple 3x3 to 4x4 of hardwood... take your pick of species. Who cares if its not rounded? A square or rectangle piece would fit better anyway, just use a 1/2 inch bull-nose (round-over) bit on a router. I made my compression post from stainless steel, cost me less than $30, but not everyone here has a TIG welder laying around. I also burned my gel-coat just a little doing the tack welds. Anyway, just keep in mind there is a very slight angle at the top of the post.
I have a .pdf of the spreader boot pattern somewhere.... I think its saved in an email somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it for everyone.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I wouldn't go for that Lowe's leg table... it's a softwood, and its no long enough.
There are similar samples in longer and shorter lengths as well as oak and other hardwoods. However, Eastern White Pine has a longitudinal compression strength somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 lbs/sqr. inch. It is also long lasting and more rot resistant than many hardwoods. But you are right, any piece of wood or metal of the appropriate size would do. Round would not be a necessity.

-Will (Dragonfly)

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
I have a .pdf of the spreader boot pattern somewhere.... I think its saved in an email somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it for everyone.
I just acquired some new leather spreader boots. I attached a pdf you can use as a pattern if so desired. Double sided tape helps hold the boot in place on the spreader tube whilst sewing with the waxed twine. Good luck!

Attachments

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
great tips thank you guys I'm in need of spreader boats too, so mat I ask does the leather hold up to uv better than rubber?Catalina direct can be pretty rough with prices 80 sounds a lot just for spreader boats

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'm not impressed with my plastic boots. They get the job done, but the pearly-white newness wears off fast, and I don't like what they look like so soon. When I replace them, I'm going to give leather a try.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Sep 19, 2017
Wow, I didn't know about all these new replies... thanks everyone! I'm done refinishing all the wood and teak out of the cabin and will be reinstalling at some point this week. I received a replacement compression post off of another C-22 of the same year. Interestingly, the replacement is a quarter-inch shorter than the original... How big of a problem is this? Should I shim it somehow or just see if it fits?