Spreaders broke on 1978 Cal 2-25 MK11

Apr 1, 2019
CAL 2-25 Lake Lanier
My wife and I were our for our first real sail with the 1978 Cal 2-25 we purchased recently. We had been out for a few short test runs, but this one was the first that lasted more than an hour. The winds were 5-10 knots, so not too bad. We had noticed on an early sail that the spreaders were flexing forward and aft some, but being new to sailing, we did not think it an issue. Well on this sail, both spreaders broke. luckily we got the sails down before we lost the mast. I have not been up the mast to tell exactly where they failed, but it seems that both broke just past the bracket connections. Now I need new spreaders.

I called Seal's Spars & Repairs as the web search pointed me there. They do not have them and don't know how to get them. Will I need to have new ones fabricated or does anyone know where I can find replacements?

My next question is what would make the fail? I may need to get a closer inspection to get more detail.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I agree that you need to have a professional rigger check your mast and rigging.
To your original question, for those of us who don't know your particular boat...
If you can post a pic of the spreader it would help advise you of a source for the 'unavailable' spreaders.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Wood spreaders rot. You can remake them in wood or a rigger can have them done in Aluminum.

Les

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
My 14976 cal 34-III had wood spreaders that were original. I made a new set using old as template.
Strange how both broke...... sounds to me that the standing rig was loose and had too much movement. Lucky rig is still up. I would have mast taken down immediately as this is a deck stepped mast..... if that breaks youre in for big money.

Good luck
Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum @bulldog4181. Happy you were lucky to get the sails down and safely back to the dock.
Now perhaps it is time for a complete inspection and not just a quick fix to the spreaders.

A boat built in 1978 might have old wires holding up the mast as well as old spreaders.

The spreaders May be available online. They can be manufactured using the old broken parts as a model. Aluminum would be more permanent than wood. Should be less than $500 for the pair.

Apr 1, 2019
CAL 2-25 Lake Lanier
Thank you everyone. I found a rigger locally and we are dropping the mast tomorrow to assess the damage and get a plan for repair.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am waiting for photos of mast/boom/spreaders. I will try to find my contact for the former manager of Keyon-Isomat who would be able to identify.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Boy if @Crazy Dave Condon was offering to review photos and reach out to his former industry contacts I’d gone down to the boat in the dark and use a flashlight to get pictures and send them to him.

Very nice Dave. But knowing you it is only Natural!