Spreader repair kit hunter 23.5 or 26

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Has anyone installed the spreader repair kit offered by the forum store (sold by US Spars)
It comes with an aluminum reinforcing sleeve and a wrap around spreader bracket.
I could press the aluminum sleeve onto the mast from the front but the wrap around bracket doesn't want to go... To me the correct way to install this would be to remove everything off the mast from the spreaders up and then slide the wrap around bracket down the mast into position.
This would be a tremendous amount of work to drill all those rivets and remove all the upper fittings and items (like mast head, halyard exits etc... etc....). I called US Spars and they said to beat it on from the front with a mallet. The part is a cast part and Im afraid it will break if I try to spread it around the mast like that. or even collapse the mast from the compression from the bracket.
anyone already been down this road ????

thanks
James

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Is this what you have? If so, this is how I got mine on the mast. I put the spreaders on first. Then I held one spreader and my son held the other and we "opened" the jaw using the spreaders for leverage. I then tapped it in place with a rubber mallet.
2018-06-23 13.46.03.jpg
2018-06-23 14.05.52.jpg
2018-06-23 14.21.13.jpg

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
yes rgranger, that's the kind I'm talking about. that thing has to spread open a lot in order to go on. It appears to be a cast piece and I'm scared it's going to break, (like your first picture). They also sent me an aluminum sleeve that goes around the mast, but under the wrap around spreader bracket. you apparently rivet the aluminum sleeve on 1st then put the spreader bracket around that and rivet it to the sleeve. Don't know if I really need the sleeve but the stock spreader rivets have pulled out of the mast so the holes are gonna be toast, enlarged. But the way the new spreader bracket rivets on, the holes will be in a different place so.......... I will know more when I take it all apart....
by the way I want to thank you, you always answer and contribute to these forum questions more than anyone else and it is
appreciated...

Jan 19, 2010
yes rgranger, that's the kind I'm talking about. that thing has to spread open a lot in order to go on. It appears to be a cast piece and I'm scared it's going to break, (like your first picture). They also sent me an aluminum sleeve that goes around the mast, but under the wrap around spreader bracket. you apparently rivet the aluminum sleeve on 1st then put the spreader bracket around that and rivet it to the sleeve. Don't know if I really need the sleeve but the stock spreader rivets have pulled out of the mast so the holes are gonna be toast, enlarged. But the way the new spreader bracket rivets on, the holes will be in a different place so.......... I will know more when I take it all apart....
by the way I want to thank you, you always answer and contribute to these forum questions more than anyone else and it is
appreciated...
Thanks.... and you are welcome. I've gotten as much from this forum as I have given. When I first started on here Sumner was the guy who answered most of my questions.

I'd rather not say how I broke my bracket :oops: but..I did not break mine trying to put it on. I was putting a new bracket on because I broke the old one. I did not get a sleeve with mine and it fits great. My original also did not have a sleeve. I'm wondering if your sleeve is meant to be a shim in case you have a smaller diameter mast? If that is the case you will have to make a judgment call and decide if you need the sleeve. I think that if you can get it on without the sleeve and the tolerance is not too great, just rivet the new bracket to the mast. The bracket goes on with some force but I would not simply whack it. Like I said earlier I was able to widen the gap by pulling up on the speeders. With the bracket on the mast and someone helping you to widen the gap, give it a gentle whack with rubber mallet. You can also add a few extra holes in the bracket flange for additional rivets if you feel you need them. I also did that because one of my rivet holes was blown.

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Just to keep others informed, i did this this weekend and yes the wrap around bracket will press around the front of the mast. Takes some effort but it will go. Note, however the stock spreaders will not fit inside the bracket as i was told they would. I had to flatten them out some in a vice and then sand them down until they slid inside the spreader bracket. Do-able though. This newer style bracket is superior to the old style. Looks much stronger.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Just to keep others informed, i did this this weekend and yes the wrap around bracket will press around the front of the mast. Takes some effort but it will go. Note, however the stock spreaders will not fit inside the bracket as i was told they would. I had to flatten them out some in a vice and then sand them down until they slid inside the spreader bracket. Do-able though. This newer style bracket is superior to the old style. Looks much stronger.
:beer:

Aug 2, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Kaufman Texas
I realize this is an old post but thought it worth a try. Did you tighten the clamps on the spreader caps tight enough to completely trap the shrouds or did you leave them loose enough for the shrouds to move within the clamps? Do you have an opinion Dave?

LesCha

May 8, 2023
hunter h26 Lacolle
Hi, i am to replace the spreaders and the bracket on my 94 h26. I wander if i should tap and bolt the bracket or rivet it? They are some big rivet, 3/16 ss are hard to do.

LesCha

May 8, 2023
hunter h26 Lacolle
Just received the spreaders and the bracket. The spreaders are a good 4in longer… should i cut them the same length as old ones or leave as is?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Who did you order the spreaders from, US Spars or the forum store?
Call Dave at US Soars outside Gainesville Florida

LesCha

May 8, 2023
hunter h26 Lacolle
Who did you order the spreaders from, US Spars or the forum store?
Call Dave at US Soars outside Gainesville Florida
the forum store. They are 44.5", and original 41". I bet they cut them too long just to make sure there’s no mistake done.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Call Dave at US Spars near Gainesville e Florida as that is where the spreaders came from. Then send me a private message through the forum. I was involved the design of your boat.