Spreader boots

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 37 Cutter St. Joseph, Michigan
Over the winter I overhauled the mast of my H37c. I have been looking for replacements to the spreader boots that had disintegrated, but without success. The largest I have found are much smaller than the old set. Any suggestions on a good source or an alternative to spreader boots?
Thank you.

Jun 4, 2004
I purchased a pair and the largest size is too small. I may switch to the wheel solution.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Have you tried the ones Taylor makes from padded polyester (dacron)? They fit an oval up to 2.5" x 1". I agree that the rubber / vinyl ones seldom fit our spreaders. I purchased the largest size I could find, then improvised with zip ties and rigging tape... next time I will try the dacron ones.

Jun 4, 2004
Has anyone used the chafe wheels that roll the sail past the spreader tip?

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Has anyone used the chafe wheels that roll the sail past the spreader tip?
Yes. I switched to the anti-chafe wheels last year and they seem to work. My sails went to the sail loft last fall for cleaning and inspection and no chafe was noted. The genoa just rolls past the spreader ends.
I had never found spreader boots that fit and lived with wraps of rigging tape on the spreader tips for years, but it eventually wears through and starts to unwind. I was replacing or winding on more tape every few years until I noticed some signs of minor corrosion under the tape last year and realised that open and dry spreader tips would be better. That and the fact that I had just bought nice new sails that I want to keep nice and new precipitated the switch to the anti-chafe wheels.