Spinnaker Ring Location on an H376.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
That's why so many racers use whisker poles???? ;^))) -- I think not.

Of course, for most cruisers, since the spinnaker seldom comes out of the bag.... :^)))

Mar 26, 2015
Hunter 376 Marina del Rey
Hello again Captains.
I’m back for help again. This whisker pole track stuff is making me nuts!
So, the mast is a Z Spars Z601. That’s just for information. It has no value in finding a track!
The mast extrusion has an 6.35 mm deep X 18 mm wide flat channel in the forward portion. Again, no value.
The available T tracks have 2 problems. 1st, they all have a curve at the base of the leg of the T, intended to fit the forward part of a curved mast extrusion. 2nd, the base of the leg of the T is too short to allow slides or cars to fit on the T track, due to interference by the depth of the extruded track, in the mast.
David Rainville’s H 376 whisker pole T track has a plastic or fiber back-up that fits inside of the mast extrusion and is of a height equal to the depth of the extruded track. This raises the position of the T track equal to the surface of the mast, meaning that track slides or cars will fit, perfectly.
So far I have not been able to find this backup spacer, anywhere. Nor can I find a track tall enough to adequately clear the extrusion in the front part of the mast and allow the slides or cars to move.
I truly do not want to try to wrestle the adjustable pole with a fixed ring, on the mast.
Any insights and/or recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
If you go to the US Spars (Z-Spars) www.usspars.com website, I'm sure that they have the track that is intended to fit inside the extrusion. It's probably one of their "common parts" but may be mast model specific. Bad news is that I think it slides in from the bottom of the mast so has to be installed with the stick down. I have found their people to be very helpful regards my Z401 mast. Here is their link to your mast/etc sections. http://www.usspars.com/boat-information/?vendor=Hunter&model=Hunter+376-Taper

And here is a link to their online catelog's - you'll probably find the track in the appropriate catalog. http://www.usspars.com/catalogs/

I'm looking at installing a track on my Z401 over the winter.

Mar 26, 2015
Thank you JRacer,
I’ve been to their catalog and website and was successful in obtaining my mast detail. Not so with the track and car, but I have contacted them, by email. Fingers are crossed that there is a solution!
The prospect of having to have the mast dropped is daunting. Maybe to the degree that I will settle for a fixed ring, which causes all kinds of problems in itself (pole storage, as one example).
In any case, thank you, again, for your information.
Kind regards.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Been researching my own situation and learned from US Spars that my rig OEM setup was a single fixed ring. And, that the slot extruded in the face of my mast is/was not intended for a track to be slid into it. I think it was shaped there to strengthen the mast. So, I plan to use a section of Schaeffer 1.25 inch T-Track just screwed or riveted into that slot presuming it's not too wide to fit (if so I'll go with the 1 inch track). To that I will add a Schaeffer 17-87 car/with ring - fixes in position with a pin. - They make one that is "towable" but I don't think I need to go to that extent and add all the cheek blocks/cleats/etc to the mix. Schaeffer website has a catalog and APSLTD has the parts. Just need to measure that slot this weekend to see what will fit in it.

Good luck to you on your efforts.

Mar 26, 2015
Looks like Harken has a “High Beam” track that will work. I want to store the pole on the mast, so Track is the only way to fly. I’m going with the towable for the same reason.
If the stars align I’ll have all of the bits and pieces before Christmas.

Next question.
Because of a terminally ill Raymarine GPS I’m looking at an Axium 7 chart plotter ( because everything else is Raymarine.
But I don’t know which charts are the best. Lighthouse is great, if Raymarine is truthful. Navionics is great if both Raymarine and Navionics are truthful?
Also (huge question here) does anyone have any experience with Raymarine’s Axium series of plotters.
I can’t really change systems but I don’t want to buy the proverbial “pig in a poke”!

Thanks to all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Diablito, most asymmetrical sails I have used are not used with a spinnaker/whisker pole. The sail is attached at the head with a halyard and run up the mast. The tack is attached to a line at the bow or on a bowsprit and can be adjusted to allow the tack to move up and in front of the boat. Finally the clew is attached to a sheet and run to the stern used to adjust the sail.
A symmetrical spinnaker is different and requires a pole.
While it might not work for the OP, the hottest trick in shorthanded offshore sailing in ASOP (Asymmetric Spinnaker - Oversize Pole).

In short, what you do is fly your asym off a slightly over-sized pole. Attached to the tack of the sail is TWO guys and ONE tack line. Two sheets to the clew. When gybing:

Turn boat down to say 170 true
Ease pole forward to bow
Transfer clew load from guy to tack line
Outside gybe the kite while turning the boat through 20 degrees
Take up tack load on new guy as you east the tack line
Turn up to new heading
Pull pole back to correct position

What is so great about this process is that EVERY step is discreet. You could wait 0-30 minutes between each step. And you are flying an asym with optimal cut for each side. Very fast.

Last edited: