Spinnaker Ring Location on an H376.

Mar 26, 2015
Hunter 376 Marina del Rey
What is the location of the spinnaker ring on an H376 mast? Measurement from the deck.
I can't find it in the manual.
Thanks.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's not really a static number. Many racing boats have a track to move the pole up and down as a sail control. Pole up tends to flatten a symmetrical chute and de-power and pole down the opposite. Crews also move the pole up or down to get the luff as far out as possible. On cruisier boats you may want to put it a comfortable height for the crew to work with - that's pretty important. Lastly, it depends somewhat on the size of the spinnaker. If the clews are too long for the pole height the sail won't be shaped right.
If you already have the spinnaker you can probably devise a way to temporarily set the ring to test the height. Or ask a sailmaker where to put it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It should be on a track so you can adjust the height of the pole.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is it a asymetric or symetric spinnaker? If it's a aysemtric spinnaker, is it for the tack (like a sprit pole) or for the clew when you are running(like a whisker pole).

If you want to use it for both a whisker (jib, genoa) and spinnaker, then you may change the height of ring attachment. It obviously needs to be where someone can get to on a pitching deck.

The simple answer, depending on your spinnake cut and type is about the position that you'll be flying the clew. If you are in Kansas, I don't know how long your runs will be if JRacer means race, etc.

I think when set, want the trim of the sail to have shape (i.e., not be board flat) unless you're using a 100% jib in very heavy air.

Mar 26, 2015
Thanks everyone,
To Ron 20324, adjustable.
To Shemandr, Using "racing" and Hunter 376, in the same paragraph is comedic. Mer-Sea Beaucoup is definitely a cruiser. Her hull speed is only 7.9, which is easily reached running, with 25 kts, following seas, a wish and a prayer! The
To Joe, I can do the track.
To JRacer, thanks for the IPs. I will go there!
To SJ, It's for running and asymmetric is the plan. In the meantime moving the jib out into the breeze will be nice!
I'm in Marina Del Rey, CA. Catalina, the closest Island, is typically a broad reach, but not always. And I have "bucket list" trips like Cabo San Lucas and the islands of the Sea of Cortez. No telling when a miles long run could come up!
Again, thank you all.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Diablito, most asymmetrical sails I have used are not used with a spinnaker/whisker pole. The sail is attached at the head with a halyard and run up the mast. The tack is attached to a line at the bow or on a bowsprit and can be adjusted to allow the tack to move up and in front of the boat. Finally the clew is attached to a sheet and run to the stern used to adjust the sail.

The sail is controlled and flown much like a genoa in light to medium light winds.

A symmetrical spinnaker is different and requires a pole.

Oct 22, 2014
The asymmetrical sails are poor sails to be used directly down wind. Not that they can't just not designed for this use.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
As JS Sailem stated, it's best NOT to try to sail an asymetric spinnaker with a pole. However, if the sail isn't too big, and if you want to run deeper, you can do that.

You do run the risk of wrapping the forestay if you try to run wing-and-wing without a pole, so if your intent is to run that way, you gain some advantages with a pole.

I used to do that with our first Hood Gennaker on our Pearson 35. It did work. It was the only time I've been on my own boat and broached. (Or at least that's what my crew said :^))) ). It was in 25 knots of true wind with some "Gusts" on top. If you have a pole up, you just have something else to deal with if you get way out of the wind range you should. (This was decades ago, and I didn't know better. The 150% genoa would have been a much better choice -- in those winds, 100% working jib with a single reef would have been the best choice.

I don't think that your Hunter has a very robust rudder and hull for to really deal with being overpowered from behind and "over the shoulder". If you're in LIGHTer wind, and a seaway that includes waves/swells which are manageable and from one direction, then you might try the pole with the asymetric spinnaker. You'll need a LONG pole, which will he heavy unless you go carbon fiber ($$$$$$). It will be worse if you use an adjustable pole. If you dip an adjustable pole in the water it may get broken or "kinked". We had one of those, it survived my indiscretions -- but it was a very heavy Forespar of old.

Jssailem's advice is clearly rooted in sensibilities.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2015
Hello again,
Based on your advice and a little more research the track/car looks like the best route, by far.
My next effort was directed at whisker pole length and diameter (I've decided to stick with my working jib for the learning process, then maybe move up to a genoa).
Now comes the big question. Forespar indicates a 4" OD X 12' X 22', for a 35' - 45' boat. The price foe the pole approximates my mortgage payment! I know, boat = $$$$, but jeez!
Okay, I've finished whining.
Next, an article in Life on the Hook states that a 12' - 22' is too long for the Hunter 376. They suggest an 10' - 18'. Your thoughts?
Although apparently not quite as ridiculously expensive, the track. What makes the most sense? We're cruisers.
Once again, thank you.
Diablito

Oct 22, 2014
The place to search if you do not want to pay new boat part prices is craigslist or the used boat part chandlers.
( https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bpo/d/spinnaker-whisker-pole/6282677617.html )
Sailing up wind or 150 degrees off the wind you are not likely going to need a pole. It is nice when the wind is on the stern, the breeze is light and the wave motion wants to collapse the sail sure. But who says you have to sail straight down wind if you are cruising.

But if you feel the need to spend boat $$$, then do it right and buy/install the mast track. Get a pole and then record the times you need to use it.

I have a pole attached to the deck along the life lines. It sits there most of the summer.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If $'s are an issue, I'd get a pole first and then worry about an adjustable track. For your boat, with a working jib (100%) or a genoa (130-150%), I'd try to find a used fixed length spinaker pole for the used market. If you found a 12' pole (or so) that was a carbon fiber, then I'd think about that. A fixed pole will be a lot lighter, and easier for you use.

If you were planning on sailing across the oceans in trade winds, I'd wait until you see what works best for you.
I've seen people use a short pole by just clipping it to the side stay to "hold" the clew out there in a pinch. YOU ONLY WOULD DO THAT IN VERY LIGHT AIR and a gentle, cooperative seaway.

From the Marina Del Ray (on your Pacific Coast), I'me very leary of the mixed seas with swells and winds not cooperating. So I'd prefer a more easily handled, stable, and stronger rig. From your description, I'm not sure you need optimize the jib's camber all that much. You just want to "keep it out there".

If you can find a "used" pole that you could try-out for a few hours before you buy it, so much the better.

Mar 26, 2015
Well "Heck", you guys. You are fast and very helpful.
jssailem. I hadn't thought of Craig's list, but I have connected with Minney's Yacht Surplus. No reply yet.

SG is correct. I don't have heroic plans. I "just want to 'keep it out there"' and installing the track and car/slide, are well withing my abilities. And the prices actually make some sense.

As I've said, in a previous post, my bucket list (at a pretty healthy 70 years of age) includes the Baja HaHa followed by a few weeks in the Sea of Cortez. When I finally retire I'd like to sail down the mainland, as well. We'll see!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
As I've said, in a previous post, my bucket list (at a pretty healthy 70 years of age) includes the Baja HaHa followed by a few weeks in the Sea of Cortez. When I finally retire I'd like to sail down the mainland, as well. We'll see!
Oh, yea; you definitely want (need) a pole if you are doing the Baja (or even San Diego).

Mar 26, 2015
Well thank you Rick D.
I'm sailing down to Newport Beach this coming Friday, to join in the American Legion Yacht Club's "Sail for the Blind and Visually Impaired, on Saturday. I'm kicking myself for not having taken care of the whisker pole issue last year!
Fair Winds,

Mar 26, 2015
Hello again gentlemen,
Five lessons learned last Friday, sailing down to Newport Beach.
I. How to jury rig my working jib (jibsheet outside of the shrouds, turning at the first fixed member of the. Stern pulpit and back to the jib winch) to actually get it out, in the wind, when sailing downwind.
2. That she’ll run at over 6 kts, in 10 kts of wind, with the jury rig. (This will be improved upon with installation of blocks and cleats). Winches will have to wait, a bit.
3. That a whisker pole is in her near future.
4. Any larger headsail can wait.
5. I want a track and slide, rather than a fixed ring.
The need for track and slide became apparent when I met another H376 owner, forum member and American Legion Yacht Club member, David Rainville and wife Carole last Friday. He had a track and slide system that was a workable answer to muscling the 13’ pole around. He had a couple of other great mods, too. He posted them to the forum some time ago. They are:
A hinge for the H376 swing ladder, that allows it to fold and fit below the skipper’s seat/stern step and a dodger frame change that makes it possible to enter the boat at something much better than a crouch.
Now all I need to find out are the preferred dimension of T track. The extruded track in the forward section of the Seldon mast tosses a bit of a kink in the heigth of the post of the T section. David’s was backed up by a nylon or other synthetic spacer.
I’m wide UPenn to T track suggestions.
Thanks to all.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Forespar is running an ad in Soundings magazine claiming that for most cruising boats a whisker pole and jib goes downwind faster than a spinnaker. I'd like to see how they get to that. But it did get my attention.