Spinnaker rigging

jeddd

Feb 1, 2017
catalina 22 jacksonville fl
Hello, I just purchased a Catalina 22 that came with a spinnaker and a crane but none of the other rigging. I've seen some posts about the halyard block interfering with the furler and I am wondering if anyone has any solutions. Thanks

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Hello, I just purchased a Catalina 22 that came with a spinnaker and a crane but none of the other rigging. I've seen some posts about the halyard block interfering with the furler and I am wondering if anyone has any solutions. Thanks
You'll need an extension on your masthead fixture that will hold the block far enough away from your forestay. Called a "crane".

Capture.PNG

jeddd

Feb 1, 2017
Thanks for the info and the pic. The mast has a crane installed already. The description of the swivel block offered by Catalina direct says that it may cause some interference. I wonder if anyone has experienced that problem

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The key word is "may"... if you rig it the way justsomeguy shows, you shouldn't have issues. (note the jib halyard restrainer, it would allow a lower hoist on the swivel)

jeddd

Feb 1, 2017
Thank you that's awesome. Mine is rigged almost exactly like the picture so I should be good to go. How much load does the pulley have to be able to handle?

jeddd

Feb 1, 2017
I can't wait to test it..... 3 boats ago I was single handing an old wooden c scow so I'm ready for some fun

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
I might understand that suggestion if dealing with a standard hank-on headsail rig (JSG - I like the added block for the main halyard), without the furler. Likewise, I installed the crane. First year, it twisted up with the furler. Spoke to the guys at CD and found out my furler was mounted to the upper fastening point on the crane. He advised to changed to the lower point last year. But no matter where I fasten the roller-furler at the masthead it interferes with the spinnaker block, twisting the halyard as the headsail furls/unfurls. So much so that last year I just ran the halyard out and abandoned the idea. Going to try and get this thing flying this year. I think the secret lies in getting the crane higher and further forward. Or possibly it needs to be mounted below the furler ?? I have even considered splurging on a spinnaker sock so the whole rig gets loaded from the deck, but I often single-hand so that could be a hassle. Open to Ideas ??

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I might understand that suggestion if dealing with a standard hank-on headsail rig (JSG - I like the added block for the main halyard), without the furler. Likewise, I installed the crane. First year, it twisted up with the furler. Spoke to the guys at CD and found out my furler was mounted to the upper fastening point on the crane. He advised to changed to the lower point last year. But no matter where I fasten the roller-furler at the masthead it interferes with the spinnaker block, twisting the halyard as the headsail furls/unfurls. So much so that last year I just ran the halyard out and abandoned the idea. Going to try and get this thing flying this year. I think the secret lies in getting the crane higher and further forward. Or possibly it needs to be mounted below the furler ?? I have even considered splurging on a spinnaker sock so the whole rig gets loaded from the deck, but I often single-hand so that could be a hassle. Open to Ideas ??
TENSION on the halyard, and have it run straight up and straight down when not in use. If it's tight it cannot twist.

Feb 20, 2011
But no matter where I fasten the roller-furler at the masthead it interferes with the spinnaker block, twisting the halyard as the headsail furls/unfurls. So much so that last year I just ran the halyard out and abandoned the idea.
I've experienced my unused spin halyard getting fouled on the CDI (darned top piece has that little nub that likes to grab it), but mine is a fractional type rig, so now I just swing it around aft of the spreaders to keep it out of the way when using the genoa. With your masthead setup, I wonder if you can get the required clearance by doing the same?
If not, Jackdaw's suggestion seems to be your only other alternative besides "running it out and abandoning the idea".

Good luck!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Chances are the crane needs to be extended out to clear the furler head. It seems to be a bit of a common problem. My new top-down rig fouled on the furler head and a very large kite couldn't be rolled up. That kind of activity will get the arteries pressure tested in a hurry.

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
Cheers JSG ! Will take a look at that. Fractional rigs have an advantage in that situation. Masthead rigs, with everything up there, can be a bit of an issue. Meriachee's thoughts are sound. Perhaps i can rig an extension, possibly gaining height rather than moving it forward and away from the halyard lift track. But why would CD offer the crane they do, with this being such a common issue on the C22 rig ? Didn't mean to take over Jedd's post but seems a common problem. Thanks for the input.

Feb 20, 2011
Meriachee's thoughts are sound.
Yep. But he worries a bit much about the spin's tack downhaul effect on the bow pulpit. :poke: :biggrin:

seems a common problem.
Of course it's a common problem, but not insurmountable. Joe's right when he points out the use of the word "may". CD would be remiss if they didn't acknowledge the possibility. Everything needs to be built/marketed/insured to the lowest common denominator. :laugh:

Aug 1, 2011
But there's not much more fun than having a rig that could have cost thousands and looks like it.

Aug 1, 2011
What's interesting is that there is some nice aluminium plate (freezing) in the garage waiting (more patiently than I) to be crafted into a larger extension to the masthead crane. "Maybe" is not optional where rigging operation is concerned.