Spinnaker resize

Jun 29, 2017
Catalina 22 Utah
I have a chance to get a good deal ($100.00) on a spinnaker from a Catalina 25. Is it possible to resize it to fit the 22, or am I better off buying one already sized to fit ?

Jun 29, 2017
Catalina 22 Utah
Taller mast ? I've never had a spinnaker before. Does mast height not matter that much with a spinnaker ?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I suppose if you intend to go upwind with it, having a tight luff would be preferable. But as a downwinder, especially in light winds, not so much.
I'd try it out first.
Is it an asymmetrical?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Being that it's made for a larger boat the luff may be too long. That doesn't mean you couldn't fly it but ironically since there will be more hollow in the luff and the sail, it might be too powerful. Like a jib that is too deep or has too much luff sag, the sail will over deliver on heel and under deliver on push. But there's no harm in putting it up to see what happens. On the Seafarer I crew on the small jib is actually a Lightning class jib. On my H356 once I put up the whomper - an enormous symmetrical spinnaker and Whitebread dance floor decoration - that has been the fleet village bicycle. It was light air, it was attached to the anchor roller and could have sheeted it to the dingy. Nothing bad happened but the sail when back to it's dance floor decoration status.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It will be way to big as is. 4 feet too tall and close to 6 feet too wide.

It might be able to be cut down, but it would require cutting all three sides, added new tapes and corners. Not worth it.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Having raced 26 foot yatch's on inland dams where a wind change could occur rapidly the spinnaker could be a handful to the point of being dangerous... even for a well trained racing crew.

It would too easily over power the little 22 and its much lighter rig.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Beside the costs of altering the sail, as Jackdaw mentioned, do you have all the rigging and hardware required to fly a symmetrical spinnaker on your boat? Pole, topping lift, spinnaker halyard block fitted in front of the forestay... etc... if not... acquiring and installing the equipment may cost you more than just looking for a used asymmetrical (gennaker)(cruising spinnaker). You'll still need a spinnaker halyard block up top and perhaps an adjustable tack line... no matter what.

Nov 8, 2010
Ah, symmetrical. Never mind.
Agree with Jackdaw.
For $100 it had to be a symmetrical. No one would sell an asymmetric for that. People almost give away old kites.

BlueJ flies the same size kite as a Catalina 27. Thus I have a huge market of practice Spinnakers, i pick them up all the time for 200-300. New racing kites are 1600-2000.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Looking for a good deal on a Spinnaker for my Hunter 31. Can't seem to find any worth a damn for bargain prices.

Nov 8, 2010
Looking for a good deal on a Spinnaker for my Hunter 31. Can't seem to find any worth a damn for bargain prices.
That might be harder in your case, and you will have to look for a close size.

Back in the 70s and 80s thousands of cat27s where build and sold, most with a symmetrical spinnaker, because that's how people sailed. Now 98% of these boats sail without a spinnaker, or with a asymmetric. The old kites sit in their bag gathering dust.

Hard to get a good deal on an asymmetric, everyone wants them.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
It will be way to big as is. 4 feet too tall and close to 6 feet too wide.

It might be able to be cut down, but it would require cutting all three sides, added new tapes and corners. Not worth it.
And given it's oversize length (height), odds are before too long you would run over it and wrap it around the bottom of the boat.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
That might be harder in your case, and you will have to look for a close size.

Back in the 70s and 80s thousands of cat27s where build and sold, most with a symmetrical spinnaker, because that's how people sailed. Now 98% of these boats sail without a spinnaker, or with a asymmetric. The old kites sit in their bag gathering dust.

Hard to get a good deal on an asymmetric, everyone wants them.
I flew a symetric for years back then and would like to again!

ilance

May 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Medford, Or
If it helps: I just got a really sweet asymmetrical and all the lines, gear, douser bag, and a cool plastic boot for rigging the downhaul to a furling jib. (I plan on getting a full sock)......the whole rig, in colors I like, for $200-shipped.

I've never flown one. But, it's gonna be fun to try.

I found quite a few in the $200-$300 range......this was just the most complete.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You don't really need a sock for a 22 foot boat's spinnaker.... you should be able to launch and retrieve from the mast or cockpit using a hooped spinnaker bag. A sock requires someone to go forward to set and retrieve... The sock is handy for bigger boats much larger sails and reduced crew... but somewhat of a nuisance on boats under 27 feet or so.