Spinnaker Halyard...

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Ok so I flew the gennaker for the first time this Sunday on my 40.5. It was a beautiful day as you can see from the short video if you have a few minutes to waste;

I do have a question tho, the spinnaker halyard wrapped/got stuck around the the jib furler car at the top of the forestay. I noticed when i tried to take it down; we only gybed once at it seemed fine. It took a bit of patience and some muscle to take the sock down, and definitely want to avoid this in the future. Any of you experienced the same? Could I have done anything wrong?

thanks!
Frederick

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Perhaps if you'd have gybed the spin twice, things might have been different?

Nice video, BTW!

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Nice video. It looks as though you had your sheets out in front of the jib so I would think you brought the spin out around the bow to gybe it. Perhaps you missed the wrap on the hoist? Before you attached the halyard to the sock.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I'll only gybe my assym if there's enough wind to ensure the halyard blows in front of the furler. I do an outside gybe. For relaxed crusing or light air, I'll sock it, throw it over the headstay, and unsock it.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
hmm yes that makes sense. It seems to be that it did not completely gybe at the top of the forestay and stayed caught on the leeward side. I also think it didnt hoist it all the way up, so this might have contributed also.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
After you gybe, the hoop may still be on the wrong side of the mast so when you try to pull it down, it's got the mast in the way. I once made the mistake of pulling too hard on a jammed control line and the fiberglass hoop cracked. The sharp edges of the cracks tore the sail a bit.

Just a suggestion, but I prefer flying the kite with the main up. When the breeze picks up suddenly, it's nice to head deep and let the main blanket the spinnaker. It will luff more gently in the shadow of a mainsail, even reefed, and allow you to go forward without worrying about getting overpowered and possibly broaching when you're not at the helm.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great video. Sunday was a magical day in the 50s after the snow and grey days. But you need to be careful about producing such images. You may tease some of those Atlantic sailors into thinking the Pacific means pleasant sailing. Then where would we be. ;)
Thanks for sharing.

ps..Liked the dodger. Is it an Iverson?

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
I've been told by others that the tack line should be brought in so the tack is very close to the bow sprit before gybing. I haven't flown mine yet so take that for what it's worth.