SPINIKER ON A H23?

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Hi Guys
My h23 did not come setup for a spiniker - I’ve seen that it can be done and thinking it would be very helpful for races around here.

What hardware/parts / size of spinny do I need and any recomendations as to setup?

Thank you!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Drewsyntax,
Since you are interested in adding a spinnaker for local racing, I suggest you wander down to the marina/YC where your competition is and see what they have. Talk to them and get pointers and recommendations, get into their thinking and strategy rooms, so to speak, and generally do a little recon on the competition. Maybe you, with the advice about to hit you here on SBO and the information you gather on your recon mission, can get a better starting strategy.
Good luck and may you always have the wind.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@keemit can give you a good response having been an 23 owner with spinnaker.

It will be tough to understand a frog thru his croaking

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I added an external halyard with a block about 8” above the spreaders. (I have no idea that 8” is ideal. It just worked out that way.) I attached blocks for the sheets to the short horizontal rod near the stern on each side to turn the sheets forward toward the winches. I also attached a block for the tack point inside the anchor well. Just make sure you have enough length on the hardware that it’ll extend above the well when using the spinnaker. I can’t answer any of your questions about sizes or part numbers. It’s been 5 years since I sold my H23. I’m pretty sure I’ve left something out so feel free to ask more questions.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I added an external halyard with a block about 8” above the spreaders. (I have no idea that 8” is ideal. It just worked out that way.) I attached blocks for the sheets to the short horizontal rod near the stern on each side to turn the sheets forward toward the winches. I also attached a block for the tack point inside the anchor well. Just make sure you have enough length on the hardware that it’ll extend above the well when using the spinnaker. I can’t answer any of your questions about sizes or part numbers. It’s been 5 years since I sold my H23. I’m pretty sure I’ve left something out so feel free to ask more questions.
Dats purdy

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
You sail a lot closer to the dock than I'd be comfortable with, Kermit. And I only have a genoa. ;)
That was a number of years ago. I tried flying it but it got all twisted up. We docked with the wind so we hoisted it to work the twist out. This was the first time I ever saw it from anywhere other than the cockpit. Dang I love flying that thing. Especially when other boaters cheer.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
So cool kermit - Thanks! Your boat looks super with a spin!

So guys theres no way Im taking down that mast to do the hookup - at least this season.

What about if I find a genny ? Right now the headsail seems small - I can measure it out this week and let all know - but would getting a 120% or 150 genny be an easier option to help in races?

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Thanks Will too!
Im going to go over to the chelsea group and see what the guys have to say. They organize alot of races plus have many more sailboats then where we dock in new hamburg.
Went out today - ahhh its soooo good to be back in the water after all that time up on jacks!
cheers!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you want to race with spinnaker and do well, it will have to be a symmetric. An asym on your boat will never sail to its rating unless you are racing against a fleet of boats that are doing the same thing.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Thanks Jackdaw -
So an asym or symmetric spinnaker - understand the difference from there names and geometry - but whats the advantage from one or the other?
best

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks Jackdaw -
So an asym or symmetric spinnaker - understand the difference from there names and geometry - but whats the advantage from one or the other?
best
sure,

On a boat designed for symmetric spinnakers (like yours), they will be a better choice for racing. They go better straight downwind, which is done often in racing. But they typically require more crew (3-4) minimum.

Asyms take less crew, but are not at fast downwind.

If your racing involves mostly reaching and less pure W/L asyms can be a OK choice.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hi Guys
My h23 did not come setup for a spiniker - I’ve seen that it can be done and thinking it would be very helpful for races around here.

What hardware/parts / size of spinny do I need and any recomendations as to setup?

Thank you!
A helpful hint here: If you go around chatting up the area racing sailors, try to avoid using the term "spinny".
If you're interested in racing spinnakers, here's an older Tom Whidden (north sails) vid on spinnaker sailing.
You might like this more recent instructional vid too.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I'm not sure I'd want to deal with a symmetric on a boat like the 23 that is not that large - I think having 4 people in the cockpit and on the deck while racing might be pretty tight. You could of course do it, just a question of how serious you want to be as a racer.

Nov 8, 2010
I'm not sure I'd want to deal with a symmetric on a boat like the 23 that is not that large - I think having 4 people in the cockpit and on the deck while racing might be pretty tight. You could of course do it, just a question of how serious you want to be as a racer.
True. But if you are at all serious about racing, half the crew is rarely in the cockpit anyway. They're either on the foredeck, or on the rail. If everyone’s in the cockpit you’re cruising.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Tossing everybody in the cockpit over the side at the upwind mark is easy but how much time do you lose picking them up on the way back?