Spider Mitigation Tips......

Jul 17, 2006
Oday 302 Port Henry
Thinking of selling

Found a Wolf spider on my boat. Thinking of selling it. The boat that is.

Jul 1, 2017
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
...for keeping birds off of the spreaders I used some stainless steel locking wire strung from the shrouds, side to side so that they are about 6" above. Bird spikes on anything with a flat surface. But they still stand on the wind vane!
Neil

D

Deleted member 78819

Birds/crap: I tie the head sail furler with a line so it can't unfurl... and slack off the sheets. Greatly reduces/almost eliminates the mess on the foredeck.

TheTY

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 380 Collingwood Ontario
Our boat is moored beside an old grain elevator so I know what spider issues are all about. I would suggest you use a product called Spider Ban. Spray in all areas where spiders can find refuge, and it won't hurt canvas. They will die within a minute or two and won't return for some time so spraying once a week will keep them at off your boat. This is the best product I have found for the little critters.

Oct 4, 2008
Hunter 36 Mulberry Cove Marina
This is what I have used for years and it works. You can find it a Wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowes, ACE

Attachments

Jul 22, 2013
Com-Pac Horizon Cat Holland
I use moth balls....I know that is not a smell you want but put some in an recycled margarine tub cutting holes in the top to let air circulate. This will keep your cutty/cabin spider free. Open the hatch, cap the container with an intact lid and set sail. It will air out quickly. On the outside of the boat I don't like to use poisons for the other aspects of the food chain.. Every since we dropped a rope ladder down from the trees we have been trying to burn the web beneath us. Now mating snakes that is just a little too back to nature for me...throw them overboard for such behavior.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
...soapy water in a spray bottle works. However, we just have very few problems in Watkins Glen, NY.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
The sprays help but the webs above the spreaders get so thick my wind vane at the top of the mast is held tight.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't know if this would work on spiders but, there is another thread that mentioned Listerine as an effective bug repellant ( https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?posts/1419768/ )
Maybe it would wash off too easily. Birds, by the way, eat spiders. It won't help at the spreaders or mast head but, our chickens and turkeys love spiders and ticks.
Of course them you have more bird poop. :doh:
- Will (Dragonfly)