Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
IMG_2859.jpg IMG_2858.jpg
IMG_2859.jpg
IMG_2859.jpg
IMG_2859.jpg
@Page { margin: 0.79in } p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120% }

Hello All:

I need some advice from those of you who have run your halyards aft on a Hunter 23.

I have a H23 and am going to run the main and head sail halyards aft. You all are aware of the fact that the cabin top on an H23 does not leave much room for deck organizers and this is compounded by the fact that the cabin top is rounded off in the position that one would want to mount the deck organizers.

I have purchased two Spinlock T50 deck organizers but I am conflicted as to how to mount them. If I mount them perpendicular to the line of the cabin top (fore and aft) I will have to deal with the curve of the cabin. That probably means fashioning some sort of plate out of Starboard that will follow the curve of the cabin and have a flat top on which to mount the organizers. I have a picture attached to this note that shows the deck organizer in the perpendicular position. Note position of cabin stripe and organizer.

The other possibility which removes the cabin top curve from the equation is to mount the organizer more parallel to the line of the cabin (fore and aft). I have a picture of that orientation as well. Again, note the position of the cabin strip and the organizer.

When mounted parallel to the cabin top and on a slight angle, there is no interference between the two sheaves or the lines that go through them. Frankly, it seems to me that even though this is an unconventional mounting position, that the outcome will be stronger than trying to fashion a plate for them to sit on.

I am looking for some advice from those of you who have already worked this out. I do hope the pictures make sense...............

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Typical angle is 45 degrees from fore to aft . This way the lines don't interfere with each other.
\ | /

Sep 7, 2011
Understood......however, I will have to be careful or I will be running off onto the rounded edge of the cabin top.

Typical angle is 45 degrees from fore to aft . This way the lines don't interfere with each other.
\ | /

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
However you can make it work. Angles will work to keep the lines running free.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
That's a very long orginizer for just two lines. The long length is causing problems with your curved deck. If you can exchange your present organizer for a shorter one or use two individual foot blocks or cheek blocks, you won't have a problem mounting them on a curved deck. Something like this Schaefer organizer might work better. There are many different styles of foot/cheek blocks to choose from. The sheaves of the double foot/cheek blocks are stacked so the footprint is much smaller than a typical deck organizer. Do a search for double foot blocks and you will find dozens of different styles to choose from.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|2358482|2358483&id=115995

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I had a similar problem with the wide pop top on my boat.

I added these blisters to the cabin top for the turning blocks.
I considered making the bases from wood but just went ahead
and made them out of glass. They aren't completely finished yet.

Later models of this boat had a narrower poptop giving room for such things.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Good question which lines you are running back? In addition a photo for those not familiar with the boat taken from th cockpit looking forward each side.

You have already a double turning block each side. I would for ease buy two more of the same deck organizers/turning blocks and mount them on top of the other. It would of course require longer bolts but much easier than what is being proposed.

Why? There may be spacing between the deck and interior ceiling and should you apply pressure it will cause the ceiling to depress inward. Where the double block is already is an encapsulated aluminum plate in the deck fiberglass that was drilled and tapped

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A double cheek block would solve the problem....smaller foot print etc. In any event it is preferable to get the lines off the deck by installing a pad to raise the block 1/4 to 1/2 inch whether you need to match the curve or not. I would try to return those spinlock organizers for something more compact.... btw , the top picture version won't work... the angle isn't great enough to spread the lines far enough apart. That's why you need to consider stacking them for the turn with a double cheek block like this one from Garhauer Marine for $41. Install at 45 degree angle.

Sep 7, 2011
A double cheek block would solve the problem....smaller foot print etc. In any event it is preferable to get the lines off the deck by installing a pad to raise the block 1/4 to 1/2 inch whether you need to match the curve or not. I would try to return those spinlock organizers for something more compact.... btw , the top picture version won't work... the angle isn't great enough to spread the lines far enough apart. That's why you need to consider stacking them for the turn with a double cheek block like this one from Garhauer Marine for $41. Install at 45 degree angle.
I have decided to follow Joe's advice and return the sSpinlock Organizers and purchase the stacked cheek blocks from Garhauer. Thanks to all who weighed in on this issue...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Under the Hunter 23 boat info, pull up owner modifications as to halyards led aft by John Schaub which last photo shows double block with flat plate. The pout of curved base is for a mast

Sep 7, 2011
Under the Hunter 23 boat info, pull up owner modifications as to halyards led aft by John Schaub which last photo shows double block with flat plate. The pout of curved base is for a mast
I have looked at that mod several times. I wonder if the cheek blocks should have been mounted on a 45 degree angle instead of a 90..that might reduce the loads....

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Lines coming out of mast to double deck organizer I think are able to turn. Not sure if upgrade. As for placement depends if lines clear. Not an issue as to location but suggest thru bolt if possible. Did that before as a dealer who sold the 23

Aug 5, 2009
Hunter h23 Dallas Tx.
Look up my boats pictures. It clearly shows how I did mine that works very well. It is thru bolted with a stainless backing plate. It holds me at 180# when I have been winched up the mast. Good luck with yours.