Special Anchorage

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Anchored here in a “Special Anchorage” in Newport Beach harbor. I can attest that none of the three yachts here with us has its anchor light on. Neither do we! Neither do any of the dozens of moored yachts near us, also in Special Anchorages. All quiet, and dark, out there. Special Anchorages are designations in waters shoreward of the COLREGS Demarcation Line. There are no such places seaward of those lines, even if there is an anchorage symbol on the chart of a nice, little island cove.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Ok, so it sounds like you might have a better understanding of the details of these places than I do, so I'm going to ask you to please enlighten me a little bit. I am going to start by assuming that you are in one of the 33 CFR 110.95 designated anchorage areas that are shown on the Newport Bay chart, NOAA # 18754. Near me, we have 33CFR 110.185designated anchorages in the open ocean outside of Lake Worth Inlet. If I were not inclined to look up the specific CFR numbers or dig into the Coastal Pilot information, how would I know which anchorages require lights at night & which ones don't? Are you saying that all marked anchorages inside the demarcation lines don't require lights & ones on the outside do? Is it that simple? Or is there more to it than that?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Ok, so it sounds like you might have a better understanding of the details of these places than I do, so I'm going to ask you to please enlighten me a little bit. I am going to start by assuming that you are in one of the 33 CFR 110.95 designated anchorage areas that are shown on the Newport Bay chart, NOAA # 18754. Near me, we have 33CFR 110.185designated anchorages in the open ocean outside of Lake Worth Inlet. If I were not inclined to look up the specific CFR numbers or dig into the Coastal Pilot information, how would I know which anchorages require lights at night & which ones don't? Are you saying that all marked anchorages inside the demarcation lines don't require lights & ones on the outside do? Is it that simple? Or is there more to it than that?
Hi. I think we need to use the same terms. You are referring to what on the chart are called Special Anchorages. Yes, I have #18754 on my nav table. Under International and Inland rules, a vessel under 7 meters does not have to show the lights and shapes if not in or near areas where vessels normally navigate. Larger ones would have to. In Inland waters vessels under 20 m are not required to show the shapes and lights if in a Special Anchorage, which is marked on the chart. You’re in inland waters if you’re inside the demarcation line. I suppose the line might be further offshore in some areas than others. Here at Newport it’s at the entrance of the channel coming in.

To answer, more to it. There are such things as General Anchorage areas inside demarcation that are NOT Special Anchorages. Cannot escape referring to the chart for that. See chart #18749, Long Beach Harbor General Anchorage “P”, well inside demarcation. Not a Special Anchorage. Definitely need to show a light in there as there is traffic not restricted to 5 mph.:yikes: We had a couple of cigarette boats buzzing by at 40 kt the other night, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Ahhh... fall... When you can actually find a spot in the anchorage in Newport.... Last trip (2 months ago) I needed to pay for a mooring. Also needed to buy a new dinghy motor, but that's another story.

Kings: If you get to Dana Point I'd be glad to host y'all for drinks and dinner. Just let me know. Anchorage was pretty empty last week.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Kings: If you get to Dana Point I'd be glad to host y'all for drinks and dinner. Just let me know. Anchorage was pretty empty last week.
Wow! Thanks! We were planning to go there tomorrow; but, well, we’re here in a nice spot. Not crowded. Just confirmed w/Harbormaster we can go over the 72 hr and stay ‘til Friday morning. Probably pick up ball at BYC for Friday night, go back to LB on Saturday. Going for the shorter return in case we get some bigger wind than forecast. We probably will be there next month; I’ll send a PM— love to share a couple of rounds. KG

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Recently, a private company took over patrolling the anchorages from the Sherrif/harbor patrol.
Last time I was anchored in Newport Harbor, patrol boats kept coming up to me, the pilot scribbling notes, staring at me.
Every hour, these eyeballs cruising past me.
Fantastically irritating.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Recently, a private company took over patrolling the anchorages from the Sherrif/harbor patrol.
Last time I was anchored in Newport Harbor, patrol boats kept coming up to me, the pilot scribbling notes, staring at me.
Every hour, these eyeballs cruising past me.
Fantastically irritating.
So, that’s what happened. Those guys operate out of Marina Park. I’ve seen similar since getting here this round. I kind of ignore ‘em. You need someone to chase away the derelict liveaboard-aboard “cruising” boats and their barking dog(s), or that would be your crowded view the whole time. The cludgey-looking home-build (forgive) here when I arrived was evidently tagged out and has left.

We really did, and forever have, preferred the West Basin at Dana Pt. So pretty. But now, with the sailing center there so active, it’s very “busy” in there. The rowing club is out there at near day-break being shouted on until I’m totally up, then they disappear. Next come the slew of SUPs which goes on nearly all day. Picnics at the park, traffic in and out close by, the HP cruising through w/their big stinky patrol boats, activity at the Ocean Center, plus the (relatively few) a-holes that park too close, etc., makes it less desirable as a destination to spend time.

PS: There are rowers here at Newport too, but much further away. They don’t pass repeatedly within 3 ft of my stern with the shouting, whatever it is they say.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Rained last night here in Southern California:). Should be a fine day today. I just wish I had filled the propane bottle b/f leaving Long Beach :solame:. Barely made it through dinner last night. No fill stations near here (walk) as far as I can tell:doh:.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Rained last night here in Southern California:). Should be a fine day today. I just wish I had filled the propane bottle b/f leaving Long Beach :solame:. Barely made it through dinner last night. No fill stations near here (walk) as far as I can tell:doh:.
Alamitos Bay Marina fuel dock has propane.
Other Long Beach fuel docks might also.
In a pinch, use the BBQ to cook with pans etc.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Alamitos Bay Marina fuel dock has propane.
Other Long Beach fuel docks might also.
In a pinch, use the BBQ to cook with pans etc.
Oops. You said "before you left Long Beach".
Where are you now? If still Newport Harbor they have propane at fuel dock too.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Oops. You said "before you left Long Beach".
Where are you now? If still Newport Harbor they have propane at fuel dock too.
Maybe, but no one actually fills bottles near here. I checked with them.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The only service around the harbor is “exchange”; there is no “fill.” I ended up going into Costa Mesa to a gas station about 5 mi from here to get my 2.5 gal (10#) bottle refilled. I can say to the good only that the whole experience cost less than two dinners out on Thanksgiving!! Otherwise, nothing positive to report.:snooty: Of course, folks armed with more modern devices, such as iPhones, could have summoned Uber to their rescue!! Getting taxi service there and back was much harder than it should have been!:cuss:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
The only service around the harbor is “exchange”; there is no “fill.” I ended up going into Costa Mesa to a gas station about 5 mi from here to get my 2.5 gal bottle refilled. I can say to the good only that the whole experience cost less than two dinners out on Thanksgiving!! Otherwise, nothing positive to report.:snooty: Of course, folks armed with more modern devices, such as iPhones, could have summoned Uber to their rescue!! Getting taxi service there and back was much harder than it should have been!:cuss:
Not sure if this would help, but there is an adapter that allows you to hook one of those small green propane bottles that you can buy at most supermarkets into your on board propane system. It's great in a pinch for just such situations. I might actually have one somewhere that I no longer need (since I converted to an alcohol stove) and if I can find it I'd be happy to give it to you if you want to drive up to San Pedro to pick it up. But I'm not positive where I put it and when I'd get around to looking for it. :) If you want it, I'll keep an eye peeled for it and if I'm lucky I might have actually put it in a logical place for once!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Not sure if this would help, but there is an adapter that allows you to hook one of those small green propane bottles that you can buy at most supermarkets into your on board propane system. It's great in a pinch for just such situations. I might actually have one somewhere that I no longer need (since I converted to an alcohol stove) and if I can find it I'd be happy to give it to you if you want to drive up to San Pedro to pick it up. But I'm not positive where I put it and when I'd get around to looking for it. :) If you want it, I'll keep an eye peeled for it and if I'm lucky I might have actually put it in a logical place for once!
Thanks Alan. I’d like to try it if you come across it. I do get up to San Pedro fairly often.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
That's part of the reason we carry two 20#ers. It's the right size to fill or exchange and having the extra 20 gives you time to do either.
Yeah, the 20# is too large for my holding compartment, so carrying one for the exchange option does not work. I could not carry even two 10#ers in the compartments I have; not of equal size. In addition to the one 10#er I do carry, I might, however, also carry a 5# in the second, smaller compartment, or bring aboard an adapter to use 1#ers as Alan mentioned. Only the second time in 14 yr of coastal crusing in this yacht that I’ve run dry of propane away from home. :yeah:The other time was at Isthmus Cove, Catalina Island. But, there is a fill station there.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Anchored here in a “Special Anchorage” in Newport Beach harbor. I can attest that none of the three yachts here with us has its anchor light on. Neither do we! Neither do any of the dozens of moored yachts near us, also in Special Anchorages. All quiet, and dark, out there. Special Anchorages are designations in waters shoreward of the COLREGS Demarcation Line. There are no such places seaward of those lines, even if there is an anchorage symbol on the chart of a nice, little island cove.
Interesting. The Elan 40 that arrived a couple of days ago has been using his anchor light at the masthead; the only boat in here that is not dark. And—-it’s a strobe. Never seen a yacht w/ a flashing masthead anchor light. Might that be something European?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
But, there is a fill station there.
Something to think about when you bring the boat up here. Population of California is equal to all of Canada so you will find propane stations a little further apart. Maybe an extra mounted to your pushpit.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yeah. If I didn’t need to use the compartments, which I suppose I don’t, I could mount a 20# on the stern rail, as you say, and I would also be able to exchange when needed.