Spar Paint

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Hi All,

The line on my Catalina 30's outhaul was well past it's retirement. It's internal to the boom, which meant that the gooseneck, and boom end ratings would have to be removed (SS self-tapping screws, solidly corroded in-place - another story).

Now that the caps have been removed, I'll clean the area bright, and hit it with some zinc chromate. The paint on the first 2-3" on the outside area of the ends of the boom is "bubbled" (separated). I can see that the paint in this area has been attended to before (brush marks). I intend to sand these areas, and repaint them. Question is:

What are the proper paints (type/brands) to paint aluminum spars with?

My boom is white. I'm sure getting a matching shade will be be impossible, so I'm considering a different color paint for these areas.

Thanks for your help in advance,

EJ

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
2 part epoxy type paints should hold up. Prime first. I'd suggest going to the paint provider's website and see if they have advice.

Ken

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you may want to look at zinc chromate primer before you do anything else

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Redid this mast in 2003, using Zinc Chromate and a 2 part polyurethane paint. Still going strong

Pic is my ex buffing it out

Laurabuffingmast-3.jpg

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
I'd like to have the entire boom bead-blasted, primed, and powder coated, but that's just not an option at this time. What I'll be doing is cleaning the inside of the boom at the ends, where the caps are inserted, and shooting a coat of zinc chromate in the inside of the boom. I will also sand the first few inches of the exterior of the boom to bare aluminum, and shoot that area with zinc as well. Paint will be applied only on the exterior zinc.

EJ

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
2 part epoxy type paints should hold up. Prime first. I'd suggest going to the paint provider's website and see if they have advice.

Ken
Epoxy is tough stuff.... But it is not very resistant to UV damage.... So it would be a bad choice for something that is going to be exposed
I'm a big fan of rustoleum products. And 5 years from now when you want to touch it up, you will be able to find an exact color match