Space weather

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
84A3FEC2-8D66-4BED-80F4-3A9954FFAF70.jpeg
@JamesG161 can you confirm this? Sumter, SC lost all cell phone service today for a few hours. There was talk of “foreign hacking” until someone discovered this. Apparently it’s gonna happen again tomorrow and Saturday.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
can you confirm this?
On strictly cell phones, which are line of sight communications, the answer is NO.
However, if you bundle your Cell service with satellite communications like, TV or streaming, the answer is Yes.

When communication satellites, which are fixed orbits or geo-stationary, directly line up with the Sun at its "back" [so to speak] there will be several minutes of lost signal.
The Sun will evenly pass out of that exact alignment.
_____
I am not sure about Sumter SC issues.
Jim...

PS: Hughs net, which is remote, internet, is a classic example

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I forgot the new use of "internet telephones".
A few companies are trying to move toward strictly internet phones. The days of hard wired phone lines are slowly disappearing.
These are not Cell Tower phones.

I am sure it depends on the telephone provider, whether or not they use or combine use of the telephone services and satellite "long distance".
Jim...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
This is what a satellite dish sees when there is a solar outage.
IMG_0068.JPG

This is on a 2.4 meter satellite dish. Super large dishes are less susceptible to the outage than smaller dishes. This is because of the extremely narrow beam of the satellite dish.

The cause of the outage is due to the sun generating a broadband of frequencies. The frequencies are the same as the downlink frequencies of the satellite thus being overwhelmed by the noise from the sun. In nautical terms, the solar outage is like an extremely high tide at a marina with pilings. The water could crest over the pilings. In a solar outage, the noise levels indeed crest over the actual satellite signals.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I’ll see what happens tomorrow. My phone will remind me. (Maybe)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
There is a time (day wise) difference between Maine and Florida. Maine will be effected before Florida. That is do the the latitude of Maine. Eventually Florida will be the last to be effected. So you will have to do a search on when the Solar Outage will be at your lat/long. It also depends on what satellite you are using. Many factors involved.