South Carolina - Charleston and Savannah

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Mea Culpa. My spell checking is not as fast as my fingers. Lets just call them those flowering beautiful bushes that adorn the yards and forest of South Carolina and Georgia.

I will taste your grits... and none of those instant grits... "No self-respecting southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits."
http://americanrhetoric.com/videoclips/videomoviespeechmycousinvinny3.mp4
We does loves us some azaleas. And slow-cooked grits. Most folks like cheddar cheese in their grits. I’m an American cheese kinda-guy. I just hope the azaleas and dogwoods will be in full bloom while you’re here.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Kermit, you is such a stickler:poke:
Is that a frog thing or a green thing?
I know it's not a Southern thing.
I KNOW! It's a little green frog thing.:laugh:

- Will (Dragonfly)
Honestly, I don’t know what causes me to be that way.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
My wife managed to talk 3 different women into sharing their sacred grits recipes, handed down for generations and bought several pounds of stone ground grits from the Loveless Cafe, outside Nashville. She then went home and fed me bowls of heaven for a month trying to perfect them. She is an awesome cook and did amazing, Yankee or not. :)
So, within a 20 mile radius, sure we deliver;)
BTW, I grew up on grits, but the Quaker instant kind, and I love them. Real stone ground grits simmered for almost 3 hours is a completely different food and very well worth the time:p

- Will (Dragonfly)
Damn Will you are tempting me to figure a way to get within 20 miles w/o shoveling snow

Aug 3, 2005
Currently boatless - Eastern Seaboard
Not going by boat I assume?
But in any event, google Trawler Drift Away and you'll come up with my blog. In the search box, enter Charleston or Savannah and you'll find plenty on each, especially Savannah.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thank you Dave. This is our first trip to these historic cities. We are flying in. The boat is not ready. Will check the blog out.

rbyham

May 28, 2012
Oday 23 Lanier
Sorry am just seeing this now. Of course you realize you left on opening day of Charleston Sperry Race Week. See my video form water today in the buzzed thread. Had I known I could have offered a day sail... Let me know when you come back...

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
to jssailem,
OK so now you have enjoyed two of my favorite cities, and are on your way home to another of my favorite areas of the country -- need a report on your visit and whether you enjoyed our suggestions or found some new spots for us to check out.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@jssailem - if you are on the east coast and there is any possibility I can buy you a beverage, it would be my privilege. I am in port canaveral at the moment.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
@jssailem - if you are on the east coast and there is any possibility I can buy you a beverage, it would be my privilege. I am in port canaveral at the moment.
:plus:
I, however, am not in Port Canaveral. There is sleet falling from the sky where I am. Thus, I like my "beverages" :)beer:) warm.
You, my friend, may have yours any way you want it. :thumbup:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sadly gentlemen and ladies, I have departed the warmth of the south and again wake in the Pacific NW. I was welcomed back by a chilly rain.

Enjoyed my visit to the South East. I met Mr Chigger... Gave me quite a scratch. Definitely not the most fun part.
Played some golf, visited tourist sights, explored the history of Charleston and Savannah. Ate Shrimp and Grits, some fine Pork Tenderloin, hush puppies and very tasty ribs along with Flounder. Drank a bottle of Yuengling beer, and tasted fresh "Moonshine".
Enjoyed Southern Hospitality and the sound of "how y'all doing?"
Visited the BrookGreen gardens and watched sailboats racing in Charleston Harbor.
It was a great trip.