Source for cabin fabric?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
My cabin cushions are covered with the dark blue velvet with little pairs of light flecks in it.

I thought someone had found a source for this fabric, but I can't remember where, or find a post about it.

Anyone know?

Thanks-

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
:plus: for Sailrite - tons of fabrics that you can view online and then order fabric samples to compare. Sewing makes for good indoor winter projects.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but I'm still looking for a match to that blue velour fabric. A guy in the club needs to replace 1 cabin cushion, and wants it to match the others, without having to re-cover the others as well.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering that someone found a match for the (different) blue velour fabric found on Precision boats...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but I'm still looking for a match to that blue velour fabric. A guy in the club needs to replace 1 cabin cushion, and wants it to match the others, without having to re-cover the others as well.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering that someone found a match for the (different) blue velour fabric found on Precision boats...
Here's a novel thought. Maybe post a picture. I don't know. Maybe that's a crazy idea. What was I thinking?

Jan 24, 2009
Email a photo of the fabric and the make of the boat to Sailrite, they may actually know and can more quickly point you to the correct material.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I am also looking for the same fabric. I have seen it used on late '80s Catalinas, and Pearsons too.
Here are a few pictures from O'day 35s;
My boat:

Another owner's boat;

I have also sent an email to SailRite - with pictures - asking for help.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Here's a novel thought. Maybe post a picture. I don't know. Maybe that's a crazy idea. What was I thinking?
Daggum frog! Yeah, I shoulda done that. :D:D:D I was hoping another O'day-er would already know!

After I went looking for a pic, I see that eherlihy has pics that show the fabric well. If you look closely at the actual fabric, you see what looks like light dashes in the pics actually is like short 2 dash equal signs. But since Sailrite doesn't know what it is...

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Just get something close to the design. Then you can embrace your inner redneck.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
... and here is the same material (or very close) used in fitting out the inside of a Precision 23

and the Precision 21

you can bet that I'll be calling Precision Boat Works tomorrow.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I called Precision Boatworks and was asked to send an email with pictures of the material to "wp," which I did this morning. Perhaps I am being unfair, but I got the sense that this may not be a priority for them. I'll post again if I hear back.

In the interim, I have located this;

this smooth, heavyweight double-knit ponte features a polka dot design. With a heavy drape and 25% of stretch on the grain and 15% on the vertical for comfort and ease.
whatever that means... but it appears to be pretty close.

Here is a closeup of the actual fabric that is currently on my boat;

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Of the two pics above, the bottom appears lighter....I've seen both on O'day boats from back in the 70's and 80's....Rudy at D & R may know who provided material or the sewn cushions to O'day back then...but I personally think if you took the above to a good local fabric shop you may find it...still is a classy looking fabric.. Pat

Jan 24, 2009
Funny how something simple becomes a quest :)
I need to re-do my interior cushions at some point and my eyes are bulging from looking at all the fabric samples out there. Good luck with it.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I'm not 100% sure that they are still in business, but here is the company that apparently made cushions for O'DAY in the years just before O'DAY went bankrupt (at least they were listed as one of the companies that were owed money in the bankruptcy filing?) Again, I'm not sure if they are still around, but at least a place to start? Rudy might know better as to what they made for O'DAY.

COAST CUSHION CO INC
Market St
Warren, Rhode Island02885

(401) 245-5866

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I have to say that I am disappointed with the customer service from SailRite...
While continuing my quest I found this current fabric from Glenraven;
http://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/fabrics/item/1725/40107-0019/Bubble-Mariner

The way that I found it was by looking on YouTube where I found this;
The Bubble Cobalt has been discontinued, but a search of the Sunbrella website for "Bubble" yielded a hit on "Bubble Mariner." I had expected the customer service person to have at least acknowledged that SailRite once had this material.

... and I have not heard back from Precision Boatworks either ...

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I don't know why you posted, "I have to say that I am disappointed with the customer service from Sailrite". They gave you a link that saved you from going through all their fabrics, then you chastise them for not know about something they do not carry. Yes, "Perhaps I(you) am being unfair" to Sailrite and Precision. Try calling a Ford dealer and ask them for some literature on Edsels.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I don't know why you posted, "I have to say that I am disappointed with the customer service from Sailrite". They gave you a link that saved you from going through all their fabrics, then you chastise them for not know about something they do not carry. Yes, "Perhaps I(you) am being unfair" to Sailrite and Precision. Try calling a Ford dealer and ask them for some literature on Edsels.
I am flattered that you took the trouble to try to comprehend, so let me try to explain my disappointment to you...
I am disappointed because when I took the trouble to contact SailRite, asking if they had a fabric which was blue velour with tan and grey flecks in it. and even sent them this picture;

they couldn't be bothered to relate it to this;

or the video above - which was produced by SailRite. The simply provided me with a link to their fabrics in blue.

Your analogy doesn't fit. It is more like going into a Ford dealer and asking for information on a red convertible because you like the color red, and want a convertible, and the sales person replying; "go to our website and call me when you know what you want." I would expect to have the salesperson tell me about the current Mustang and maybe even mention the 2000-2005 Thunderbird.

Because I had reached out to them, I was what would be called a "hot prospect." I have gone from being a hot prospect to someone that is now slightly biased against them because they couldn't be bothered to help me with a simple request.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
And for the benefit of you that may be looking for this fabric, I have learned in a follow up email that SailRite can not sell the Bubble Mariner fabric, so don't go there.