Sound systems - Anybody install a subwoofer?

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Jonelli-

for an easy solution, with super-efficient direct-amp Class D power, (meaning low current draw) take a look at this: http://www.kicker.com/Hideaway

15A fuse suggests max current is about 10A. Then consider you will not be running it anywhere near full tilt and you will be looking at maybe more like only 1 or 2 amps draw.

Phil

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Two things:

All Fusion decks are Blue Tooth COMPATIBLE, with a fusion BT-100 or 200 add-on. If you didn't have the $30 add-on, then you will have a problem. Our Fusion BT-100 reliably connects with every iphone, ipad, and android device we have.

You say you added a ROUTER to solve a BT problem??? BT does not use routers. Thats Wi-Fi hardware.

If sounds to me like you need to get personally smarter about the technology, or get a 'yard' you can trust.
Wow...take a chill. Relax. Deep breath. Router was the wrong term. Fusion deck is the Av700i. It is now wired through the C125 Raymarine mfd. Using ethernet. Same result. And I do trust the yard.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Wow...take a chill. Relax. Deep breath. Router was the wrong term. Fusion deck is the Av700i. It is now wired through the C125 Raymarine mfd. Using ethernet. Same result. And I do trust the yard.
In order for the AV700i to do Bluetooth it requires the MS-BT200 or MS-BT100. Some decks have BT built in but the AV700i requires an additional part for the Bluetooth feature to work.. I think that was Jackdaw's only point... He could have said it nicer though.

The end result is that your BT is most likely not working because you may not have the MS-BT200 or MS-BT100 connected to it. I have installed a bunch of Fusion decks and never had one fail to pair with the BT feature to any BT phone, iPad, Android etc...

Check to see that you have the MS-BT200 or MS-BT100 Bluetooth adapters.. Really all you need is the BT-100 for what you ant to do. It is a small black box with right and left RCA leads....

LDK

Feb 21, 2010
Catalina 30 MKII Benicia
Subwoofer...Why? Go Sailing enjoy the wind and quiet.

The more complicated you make it the more problems you introduce...a little music in the back ground is nice but not necessary. You might be better fitted for a power boat.
I know this isn't going to be for some of you... This has nothing to do with functional sailing... :)

I'm setting up an entertainment center. I have a media streaming box, hard drive, TV, and marine stereo. I've got everything but the TV running off 12v, and I plan to use a small inverter for the TV. I'm now figuring out my speaker setup - And I need a subwoofer....here's why:
Rather than using standard car stereo speakers, I want to surface mount some higher end coax pro audio speakers in their own enclosures on each side of the boat. They are small and don't reproduce much below 180Hz, so I want to use some kind of powered subwoofer I can stuff somewhere. I've been looking at the car-type slim under-seat powered subs, but I'm worried that they're designed to pull tons of current. Before I go down this road I want to prevent a battery-sucking-disaster by watching a movie at night at the island and do some research.
Has anybody actually installed one? Did you install a DC Cap? how much drain do you experience?

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
The more complicated you make it the more problems you introduce..
Agreed!!!! :)

.a little music in the back ground is nice but not necessary. You might be better fitted for a power boat.
When spending weekends on the boat at dock or on the island, my wife likes to relax and watch movies together. So, while I would agree with that statement in general, I want to make it a "vacation home" and having a home theater is fun. Besides, if it becomes the dog-house, then I have something to do... :)

LDK

Feb 21, 2010
Catalina 30 MKII Benicia
How can it be so Difficult...

Any good car stereo/cd/usb player coupled with adequate speakers which are mounted high on the aft chain plate bulk heads along with two in the cockpit should give you all the audio anyone should need. The player should allow you to adjust port and starboard as well as fore and aft. Use 16ga copper speaker wire and solder the bitter ends and connect. If stereo specific plugs are in play, solder and heat shrink each. GO SAILING and come back to a cold beer and music....If you want the TV to share the speakers, get a A-B switch...A=stereo B=TV. Make it simple...Mine has been in place for 8 yrs. No problems...Sail, drink beer/wine, listen to music. Simple.
I think we're talking about two different things here.
There IS still "fore and aft" being a front and rear faded speaker output, a pari down below (L/R) and a pair (L/R) in the cockpit.
Down below I want the TV to be center so will put a speaker port and starboard.
Stereo imaging for music down below is not important. But even if I kept speakers only on starboard side as they currently are, there are still not many places that you are in the middle, so it really doesn't matter.

Jun 9, 2004
Thx, Maine...
All I needed was a control at the helm. And the C125/ethernet setup works nicely, although the adapter might have worked better. C125 wireless pairs with my ipad though. Kinda handy down below. Hard to see my ped's display in the sunlight.

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
Agreed!!!! :)

When spending weekends on the boat at dock or on the island, my wife likes to relax and watch movies together. So, while I would agree with that statement in general, I want to make it a "vacation home" and having a home theater is fun. Besides, if it becomes the dog-house, then I have something to do... :)
A vacation to me is getting out of the norm and exploring. The last thing I would want to do is being along the monotonous lifestyle with me, especially the market oriented media brainwashing junk.

This is my point of view on entertainment which is relative, keep it simple and explore nature. Nature will entertain you beyond your belief.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Harsh crowd! :D Many aftermarket stereos have auxiliary inputs so that the TV can be connected to the radio as an audio source. I am the poster boy for too much stereo, 21" TV connected to Sony radio. External amplifier with sub. Surround sound in cabin, cockpit speakers also with a remote control in the cockpit. Purists be haters if you have to but having a nice audio and video system is a pleasure to many of us.

Jun 2, 2014
Harsh crowd! :D Many aftermarket stereos have auxiliary inputs so that the TV can be connected to the radio as an audio source. I am the poster boy for too much stereo, 21" TV connected to Sony radio. External amplifier with sub. Surround sound in cabin, cockpit speakers also with a remote control in the cockpit. Purists be haters if you have to but having a nice audio and video system is a pleasure to many of us.
Thank you!!!!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
While we don't have that much "system" we are music lovers. I find I don't have much in common with the anti-music on-board crowd. I listen to music all the time. Spotify is playing on my computer as I type this. All day at work I stream music. I play guitar too...

My wife and I always find it funny that folks we know who are "purists", and have no stereo so they can "enjoy nature", always seem to wind up at the most commercialized harbors in Maine, and we are way off the beaten path enjoying nature in some secluded anchorage and perhaps enjoying a little jazz or bluegrass when the mood strikes.........;)

I don't listen loud but I get to solo sail a lot due to the nature of my job. I love sneaking out and listening to music, and the wind.....

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
While we don't have that much "system" we are music lovers. I find I don't have much in common with the anti-music on-board crowd. I listen to music all the time. Spotify is playing on my computer as I type this. All day at work I stream music. I play guitar too... My wife and I always find it funny that folks we know who are "purists", and have no stereo so they can "enjoy nature", always seem to wind up at the most commercialized harbors in Maine, and we are way off the beaten path enjoying nature in some secluded anchorage and perhaps enjoying a little jazz or bluegrass when the mood strikes.........;) I don't listen loud but I get to solo sail a lot due to the nature of my job. I love sneaking out and listening to music, and the wind..... <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojdmTmmTkaQ?list=UUoPqTkOluQsuu3RpGnxVwFw">YouTube Link</a>
I find this purists are often quietly jealous... Barely able to operate what they have with fear it's over-complicated. A properly-designed big system has the same basic control as a little system. Ultimately, selecting volume and source are all you should need to worry about; what's playing and how loud... :D

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Harsh crowd! :D .
+1 Every dawg to his own bone. I normally prefer sailing with no music but daggummit it's nice to have entertainment sometimes. Especially if the Gamecocks can figure out what their defense is for.

Jun 9, 2004
There ain't nothin, and I mean nothin, like CSN during a nice sail. Try it...you'll like it.

Jun 2, 2014
Slightly off original topic....

First a rant... Why the heck can't car stereo manufacturers use non volatile memory for saving settings????? Virtually every electronic device these days has it. After installing my great new Kenwood blutooth, marine radio, I find out that the blutooth mode doesn't output to all speakers by default, you have to change the setting from Front only to ALL. And now that I'm installing a sub amp, I want to highpass the main speakers at 120Hz...another non default setting. Never mind my favorite radio stations. So how does it remember all this? Of course, the ole yellow wire has to be hooked up to your battery, and when it drains or gets disconnected, your stereo gets a lobotomy. Seriously??? There 's NO good reason that I can think of for it to be this way. Put a freakin reset button somewhere if you want, but KEEP MY SETTINGS. I want to cut all battery power from everything when I leave the boat (except for hard wired bilge pump), but now I have a PITA.

So, if you were me, would you connect the yellow wire directly to the battery and hope you never forget to put the trickle charger back on, or would you still keep the yellow wire behind the "ALL OFF" switch?

I'm in the habit of leaving the cabin and water pressure switches on, and using the battery switch to "turn on" the boat when I go there. If I don't use the battery switch, I have to remember to check all the other little switches, turn off the VHF radio, and then what happens when my wife goes to the boat? Panic phone call "there's no water!! or why are there no lights!!" etc...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I know of two radios coming out in the near future that use EEPROM for station memory, settings, etc. no yellow wire.

Stay tuned. It will still be a few months

Jun 2, 2014
Philwsailz, what manufacturer? I'm curious. I have a friend who is an engineer at Alpine and he didn't mention anything like that.

I ended up connecting the yellow wire directly to the house battery only. It's better than having a lobotomized sound system every time I go on it. I ended up buying the Pyle $65 sub amp which is more than enough, and I first tried using the existing starboard side cheap car speakers as subs, but they're just to low quality and have no excursion capabilities and can't handle any power. I can get them to supplement low end at low volumes, but I'll have to change them out. I found some 6.5" woofers I had laying around:
https://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gw-206-4-6-1-2-oem-woofer-4-ohm--290-300
And they look like they might work a LOT better. I'll have to work on dampening the cupboard space above the closet (the doors rattle), but I think I can make this all work without buying a dedicated sub and using existing holes. But, if it still doesn't sound good enough, I'll consider getting one of the self powered ones, I like the kicker one you found.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
image-1689736835.jpg

Subwoofer installed. The port side cabinet has all the media equipment installed.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Philwsailz, what manufacturer? I'm curious. I have a friend who is an engineer at Alpine and he didn't mention anything like that.

I ended up connecting the yellow wire directly to the house battery only. It's better than having a lobotomized sound system every time I go on it. I ended up buying the Pyle $65 sub amp which is more than enough, and I first tried using the existing starboard side cheap car speakers as subs, but they're just to low quality and have no excursion capabilities and can't handle any power. I can get them to supplement low end at low volumes, but I'll have to change them out. I found some 6.5" woofers I had laying around:
https://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gw-206-4-6-1-2-oem-woofer-4-ohm--290-300
And they look like they might work a LOT better. I'll have to work on dampening the cupboard space above the closet (the doors rattle), but I think I can make this all work without buying a dedicated sub and using existing holes. But, if it still doesn't sound good enough, I'll consider getting one of the self powered ones, I like the kicker one you found.
Who is your engineer friend? I might know him...

Without messing up and spilling beans too early, know it is a well known brand that is rapidly growing their marine product offerings; marine gear designed and built by boaters. I just got back from the IBEX boat builders show where I saw working units on display for the first time.

There is no clock on-board, due to the lack of a permanent battery connection via the yellow wire, but every other saved memory setting is via eprom.

These units feature global AM/FM tuners, a weather-band tuner, Bluetooth with Apple and Android control, USB inputs with album art on a full-color sunlight-readable display. There are also standard AUX audio inputs.

The display has day/night mode, reducing light noise from the display for nightime use. It can be switched manually, or if a trigger wire is connected to your nav lights, it can be done automatically.

Each of the outputs on both models is 2-ohm stable. In non-geek-speak this means that you can drive 8 speakers if desired without the need for an outboard amplifier.

The upper end unit featuers dual USB inputs and dual AUX inputs and is Satellite radio ready. For the satellite radio, it will display channel info, channel art, and other data sent down from the birds in the sky.

The upper-end unit also adds second source/second zone, whereby from a single radio unit, (but with a small outboard amp attached to Zone 2 out) you can have a movie playing with audio through the stereo down in the cabin, while Jimmy Buffet can be playing through speakers in the cockpit. Both units can be controlled via several different optional remotes.

I am sure I am missing something but that sort of rounds ou the key features I noted. I think that they should be available for aftermarket sales sometime around April or May... I think... I am still waiting to hear more from the developers to see if they think they can have them ready by then.