Soon to be new 146 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
Hello all,

Just about to purchase a 2008 Hunter 146 that looks to be in good condition. I have a couple of questions, hopeful that this forum has enough activity to get some responses.

Any helpful resources for rigging do's and don't 's? I will be stepping and un-stepping the mast every time out.

Is there a good resource for new sails? I think the jib is going to need to be replaced right away. North Sails?

Thanks!

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
I can help with the sail question. Factory North Sails are available through this site and they are very reasonable. I replaced my main recently for a lot less than quoted by my local sailmaker. Contact SBO for a price before you go elsewhere

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
I'll add something else regarding rigging. I added Johnson Marine Quick Release Stay Adjustors to ease in mast raising and trailering. These allow you to keep the shrouds attached and make solo mast raising easier.
Please read the Hunter Owner Mods section and note everything in the 170 section applies to you.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Amazing post. Especially when I saw your nic. Just so happens a dentist 3 doors down from me just put in a Hunter 146. He and his kids were having a blast on it this weekend. Sorry I can't help with your questions but I thought maybe you were he at first. But alas, you are in Oklahoma and not South Carolina.

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
Two thumbs up for those Johnson quick shroud adjusters. A must have mod for your new H146. Also have a look at the owners mod section for H15's (the fibreglass version of your H146). I made a few mods that have made set up and take down much easier.
Cheers and good luck.

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
Thanks for all the replies. I should have not been so impatient (and trusting) when purchasing this boat. Missing in Action: main sheet/blocks, boom vang, transom plug, uppermost batten in main, roller furling line, etc. UGH! And running this stuff down is difficult. Tried to contact Hunter for OEM hardware list and they basically said they don't know!!! Maybe that's why they went bankrupt? Oh well, no sailing for a while apparently...

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
Another question, I don't see the forum "170 section" or the "15 section". All I see is "Daysailers" am I missing something?

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
Two thumbs up for those Johnson quick shroud adjusters. A must have mod for your new H146. Also have a look at the owners mod section for H15's (the fibreglass version of your H146). I made a few mods that have made set up and take down much easier.
Cheers and good luck.
Thanks for the references...I found one of the threads and have a question about your roller furler setup. I am now in land-locked Oklahoma City and we don't even have a West Marine store for me to puruse...nada, nothing. So all my shopping has to be online. Can you give me the approximate sizes of the shackle and twist shackle you are using? How about the size of line on the furler drum? My new-to-me boat is missing lots of rigging items...thanks.

Feb 26, 2010
Another question, I don't see the forum "170 section" or the "15 section". All I see is "Daysailers" am I missing something?
Click the "Boat Info" tab on the top of the Day Sailors section and then choose Owners Modifications and then select H170 or H15 or H146 to see what others have done to their boats.

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for all the replies. I should have not been so impatient (and trusting) when purchasing this boat. Missing in Action: main sheet/blocks, boom vang, transom plug, uppermost batten in main, roller furling line, etc. UGH! And running this stuff down is difficult. Tried to contact Hunter for OEM hardware list and they basically said they don't know!!! Maybe that's why they went bankrupt? Oh well, no sailing for a while apparently...
Ouch!

Here's a link: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3YHoCg&usg=AFQjCNE9cjCj3N-3n3-kw-67n21XeZSpnQ

It's for the 170 but should help.

Nothing that can't be purchased from this site or other suppliers. What you listed is probably $300-400 range unless you go for high-end lines. OEM equipment can be ordered here, just shoot them an e-mail with the list. Boom Vang and sheets can be purchased here or elsewhere.

Spent the last couple of days in OKC, just got home and saw your post....

Edit: Let me know if you need info on specific items, I can probably give you recommended parts....

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
No, I'm still trying to get him to do the right thing and send me a refund for the missing items. I don't have any expectations that he will, since he has taken the tactic of "it was there on the boat when I left it", even though the boat has been in dry, outdoor storage for over two years. I think the stuff got stolen personally. It's what I get for dealing with someone who knew nothing about the boat (his daughter), and then trusting something was "in the bag" without looking until I got home.

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
Hung the mast in my garage, removed all hardware and rigging, put a cover on it and took it back to the dry storage where it will stay until I can collect enough cash and replacement blocks, line, plug, etc to get it on the water. Bummed...

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
Picked up a new Harken 2624 Carbo 57mm fiddle block, cam-matic, with becket for $87 incl shipping for part of my main sheet set up. Sells regularly for $118...feel pretty good about it. Now to find a 2621 to go with it...

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
Also looking for Harken 2658 and 2655 if anyone has some used ones...40mm carbo blocks.

Feb 26, 2010
Picked up a new Harken 2624 Carbo 57mm fiddle block, cam-matic, with becket for $87 incl shipping for part of my main sheet set up. Sells regularly for $118...feel pretty good about it. Now to find a 2621 to go with it...
Way to go! I think you also mentioned you don't have the Mainsail removable batten. I lost mine when I capsized a few months ago. The measurements on that are 992mm (3' 3 & 1/16") X 16mm ( 9/16").

Are you looking at the Harken 2658 and 2655 for your replacement Vang? That's what I used when I recycled the OEM Vang to be used as a Cunningham. I'm using 8mm line on it (see photos attached).

Attachments

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
Way to go! I think you also mentioned you don't have the Mainsail removable batten. I lost mine when I capsized a few months ago. The measurements on that are 992mm (3' 3 & 1/16") X 16mm ( 9/16").

Are you looking at the Harken 2658 and 2655 for your replacement Vang? That's what I used when I recycled the OEM Vang to be used as a Cunningham. I'm using 8mm line on it (see photos attached).
Yes, I was planning on using the 40mm blocks for the vang. I thought 6mm was the max size line for those blocks though. Thanks for the batten measurements. I was planning on using a fiddle block for the upper block...looks like you used a double block. Any difference between the two? And please tell me about the plastic device that is in lieu of an eye splice or bowline know on the becket...I have been away from sailing for a few years and haven't seen that.

2thdr

Jul 15, 2012
Hunter 146 Oklahoma City
I also like the round plastic stop instead of just a figure 8 knot...nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.