Sometimes, progress comes slowly

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
The plastic inside-the-locker-door spice racks that came with my boat have been gradually falling apart. I have been looking for years for a suitable replacement.

ABD0202D-D384-4419-8B06-F844A9BA25F6.jpeg

On my last trip home I found some drawer organizers at Bed Bath and Beyond. After cutting one side off today, I mounted them with small elbows and they fit nicely.

3EFA0900-254F-45DB-865D-C6ACDAA2F2B6.jpeg

I’ve ordered a different size set of organizers for some narrower doors (actually the doors posted in the first picture). Hopefully all the spices we now have in a big jumble will soon be organized behind the doors.

Lynnie is happy, and a long-term minor problem to solve is crossed of the list.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
It's great to cross something off the list. I find that I have to accomplish some small projects from time to time to not get overwhelmed by the big ones.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Nice clean fix, looks good.
Yes, sometimes you need a simple win just to feel like you've made progress. My problem is I think up ideas for my list faster than I can cross them off. :eek:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Nice, Max. You mounted them with small elbows? What are elbows? :)

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
I love seeing these things that folks do to their boats to make the small spaces usable (and sometimes, just accessible). In today's boats with molded liners, it's amazing the small spaces going to waste behind the liners. Another thing is how much these liners cut down ventilation between spaces.

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
91B26F92-AB44-4755-AB79-E0FDA44B5390.jpeg
Justsomeguy is correct, the racks are held in place with a little 90 degree bracket.

Making good use of space is worthwhile as Al notes. This isn’t any great revelation, but we were wasting overhead space in a tall locker behind the settee, so we went to stacked plastic bins to store condiments and the like. In the transom and cockpit lockers, I screwed eye nuts onto the bottom ends of the toe-rail bolts. I use them to hang hoses, drogue, life jacket bags, spare lines and the like and thereby use much of that dead space up there.

D1705688-1FFA-4315-9B70-04FD0C9BC0E7.jpeg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
View attachment 143872
In the transom and cockpit lockers, I screwed eye nuts onto the bottom ends of the toe-rail bolts. I use them to hang hoses, drogue, life jacket bags, spare lines and the like and thereby use much of that dead space up there.
View attachment 143871
I did the same thing in my cockpit lockers, Max, using rope hooks through bolted.

Old sailing bags and grocery bags are handy to hang by their carrying straps (knot them to shorten), and easy to remove and slip on. The stuff that we don't use often, stays put keeping items in the bottom easy to access.
Starboard locker (1 of 1).jpg

I discovered this is a good way to use a small Magna grill. We don't leave it mounted on the rail which made it a bit of a bother to use, until now.

In this old bag (most aft by the CNG tanks), it hangs on rope hooks. You can see the rod mount poking out of the bag. Now I unhook the straps and mount the whole thing - bag and all - onto a stanchion. That holds the hinged grill all together, lid can't open, grease and soot off your hands and boat, while I tighten the mount. THEN I slip the bag off.
Port locker (1 of 1).jpg

When cool, I slip the old bag over the mounted grill and reverse the process, it's stowed.

Usable storage is different than a 'trunk' packed with stuff. It seems like a minute item but I find efficient storage, even on a coastal sailer like our boat, enhances time spent aboard.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
We have those exact old spice holders, and have also been looking for years for them. They must have only been in production for a short time. We recently solved the issue in a similar way as you, but with a different product.

Mark

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
we went to stacked plastic bins to store condiments and the like
:plus: I use plastic bins also, I like them because I can sort stuff out to make it easier to find under the settees, it keeps stuff dry, and keeps the dust off them. Also plastic bags inside that are labeled so I can tell what's what.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
:plus: I use plastic bins also, I like them because I can sort stuff out to make it easier to find under the settees, it keeps stuff dry, and keeps the dust off them. Also plastic bags inside that are labeled so I can tell what's what.
and if for some reason water finds it's way into the bins, things don't get soaked