Some pics as promised

Apr 14, 2014
S2 8.0a 26' Cape Coral, FL
Thanks all for the the advice and comments in my previous thread. As promised i posted some pics in a new album of my splash and Jacki Blue at her new home. Click my account to see the newest album
I've had her out several times now with sails up in light to moderate air. So far she sails like a dream. Points far better then i could have expected. I'll try to get some sailing pics next time.
My only issues so far are the motor. 10hp just doesnt seem to be enough to push her in moderate head winds and tidal currents. I'm thinking about trying another prop. With that said, the motor does run well and it gets me there so i wont complain to much about that.
Cheers,
John

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
She is fine looking, John.. Congrats !
Propeller probably has too much pitch.. The diameter and pitch should be stamped on the prop somewhere.. (9 1/2 X 10 maybe?)If you can find a prop that goes down an inch or thereabouts in pitch, ya might be able to get a lot more push..

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is hard to find an outboard that comes off the shelf correctly propped for a particular boat. Lacking a tachometer is hard to say whether they are reaching maximum rated RPM or prone to over reving. An 8 meters boat is about 26' so perhaps a 15HP engine might be more appropriate. I don't know what are your expectations for "enough push" but I figure as long as I can move at 3 knots or better against weather I have an adequate engine. At 1 1/2 knots or less I would drop anchor and wait.

Apr 14, 2014
Yes, first step is to get the current prop diameter and pitch - I could kick myself for not knowing this already. I just always figured, this is a sailboat outboard so it probably has the right prop. Now i have to get the boat turned around in the slip so i can look at the prop from the dock....or go swimming;)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You need what is termed a "high thrust" prop... which will have a lower "pitch". Benny explained why.

You should know that pushing through wind and chop is one thing that more power will help with... but tidal current is another issue because it's part of the boat's speed through water calculation.

Apr 14, 2014
You need what is termed a "high thrust" prop... which will have a lower "pitch". Benny explained why.

You should know that pushing through wind and chop is one thing that more power will help with... but tidal current is another issue because it's part of the boat's speed through water calculation.
Read some threads on other forums about the "High Thrust" props. Others with same size sailboat and motor configuration having exact same issues - very slow to move in forward, reverse almost doesn't exist and close to no affect when reversing to slow down when entering slip. The "High Thrust" prop from Solas appears to have been the answer.
I took a stab and ordered a Solas 4-blade High Thrust 10X7 prop. From what i read this should get me what I need - a trawler when sails are down. Thanks for the lead:)