Some deck creaking sounds near stanchion aft of pulpit on the port side: 2000 Hunter Passage 420

Jan 27, 2017
Hunter Passage 420 San Diego
Hi, I've recently made a deal to purchase a new 2000 Hunter Passage 420.
A few questions for anyone kind enough to help me understand a couple issues/worries;

The upper left pulpit stancion brace looks like it was bend inward at one time because the most outward base screw is riding up about a half a centimeter and the inside side is bent up a bit. The actual base is still sitting squarely on the deck held by the other screws. There are 2 little gelcracks in the fiberglass there. The deck around the first port-side stanchion immediately aft of the pulpit makes a bit of a creaking sound when underfoot which bothers me as I'm paranoid it might be deck rot. However, I don't know enough about the 420 to know if the deck is solid fiberglass or has a wood core.

The left front hull window sealing seems a bit wonky with some black sealant pushed inwards on the bow top side of the window. I'll like to know your opinion as to whether you believe the boat was crashed into on the port bow or whether this is related to a core rot problem or repair or if I have nothing to worry about.

The actual survey is scheduled for several weeks from now.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It sounds a bit like collision damage with either another boat or a dock. Lots of things can happen. Let the surveyor know about your concerns.
The boat is approaching 17 years old. Most boats that have been used that long have a ding or two. Gelcoat cracks can mean the fiberglass under deformed for some reason. The gelcoat doesn't deform very much at all, so you get cracks. Impact - but not necessarily wet. I think the stanchion areas for Hunters of that time are solid laminate with no core for that very reason. Does the area that creaks deform when you put weight on it? See how some water runs over the area. Is there a depression?

Jan 27, 2017
Hunter Passage 420 San Diego
Hey thanks for your quick reply. The area just creaks but doesn't seem to deform. Seems pretty solid with no depression.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Rely on the surveyor, but, I have seen many posts about how to replace a portlight - if you are handy and read up it seems doable, using the right glues. I imagine this site's store has or can get the new port. If this works out otherwise, I'd negotiate at least the cost of having a yard replace the wonky port as a price reduction.