Solo Sailing a 36 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

Is it possible to solo sail a catalina 36 foot? If not, what is the largest boat a person could solo sail.

K

Keith

solo on a 36

I solo my 36 alot. It handles very well and have no problems. I do have a Autohelm which makes it nice if you need to go below for a few minutes. My only concern about going solo is having your slip set up so it is easy to tie up. That would apply to any size boat.

M

Michael McCann

Solo 36

Kieth is right on! I sail my 36 solo quite often, and I also find it very helpful to have the slip set up for docking.

E

Ernie A

Solo a C-42? Yup.

Hi, Mark-- Whether or not a boat can be comfortably single-handed depends alot on the design characteristics, the fitting out, and one's own experience and confidence. Catalina boats, being relatively stiff once heeled and with running rigging lead back to the cockpit, are easy to solo if (big IF) an autopilot is installed. Frequently, I take my C-42 alone daysailing or on the starting legs of a vacation or back from the "cruising grounds". No, I'm not a hairy-chested macho tar, but I have been messing around in sailboats for a while and I'm comfortable handling a well designed and well set up sailboat by myself. When your ready, cast off and enjoy being truely seff-sufficient. Ernie April (WindCatcher, C-42 #618)

C

Craig Cody

Solo sailing a Catalina 36

The first time I soloed in my recently purchased 36 (March 1999) was a matter of necessity, not choice. We had some rough weather in the Santa Barbara Channel, and both of my semi-experienced guests got seasick. I was a bit daunted by the prospect, it being only the second time I had handled the boat. All controls lead aft to the cockpit, so that was easy. Bringing her into the slip without help that first time was really a "white knuckle" exercise, but after a few "solos", it has become second nature. Just like making it to Carnegie Hall, practice, practice, practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.