Solo anchoring...

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
That sounds complex but it is SO easy. It is easier to set then it is to pick it up. Picking it up in a crowded anchorage requires a bit of finesse but I can do it.
Exactly- as I said in my response-

"Sometimes UN anchoring solo is a bigger problem, particularly with little clearance astern. Then I set up the tiller pilot on whatever seem the best course,crank the engine, engage it in slow ahead, and go begin hauling in rode. I pile it on deck til the anchor hits the roller,, go back and take over the helm until I'm in clear water, then go stow the rode. HOWEVER, if I'm running the ICW I usually just leave the chain piled on deck, so should I need to anchor quickly, I can just go drop."

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Not sure this would work well for us. On each bow anchor, we have 400' pf 5/8" chain, at about 3.8 pounds/foot. I recently ruptured a bicep tendon just trying to take a twist out of it when we had 200' out at Cooper Is. We'll have to stick with the conventional method of approaching the anchor drop point into the wind!
Mea Culpa. When I started this thread, I wasn't thinking about solo anchoring of a 65' ft motoryacht. More like smaller boats with easy-to-carry Danforths or similar anchors. We all do whatever works... But Gunni has it right: get the anchor set well the first time and avoid a reset at 2am.

Mar 1, 2012
Mea Culpa. When I started this thread, I wasn't thinking about solo anchoring of a 65' ft motoryacht. More like smaller boats with easy-to-carry Danforths or similar anchors. We all do whatever works... But Gunni has it right: get the anchor set well the first time and avoid a reset at 2am.
lol the reason I don't do "storm anchors". when I'm in the middle of nowhere, alone, I want my "storm anchor" holding my boat. Have no desire to have to change anchors at 0230. May have to (and have had) to veer more rode, but the anchor was SET- my 22 pounder on my 25 foot boat, backed with 80 feet of chain

platform-front.jpg

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I also agree about using big anchors. My Compac 23 has a Lewmar 22lb claw anchor. If I had my way and a bigger budget I would use a 25lb Rocna.

I also agree with set it right the fist time. New Gen anchors are so much better because they have a very good chance of resetting if the weather changes direction.

My Catalina 30 had a 33lb claw anchor. I wanted a 35lb Rocna.

You see the trend, big anchor. Call it a storm anchor or being over anchored but I call it cheap insurance. I sleep better knowing that I have a big anchor down there and it isn't that much harder to pick it up off of the bottom. Chain is also important.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Perhaps the best incentive to make sure you set it hard and deep the first time. Doing it a second time at 0200 sucks.
You got that right, Gunni!

Mea Culpa. When I started this thread, I wasn't thinking about solo anchoring of a 65' ft motoryacht.
Warren, just to clarify, we are a ketch. No intended insult assumed...:yeah:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Setting anchor solo is not really a big problem. Hauling it back up, can be.

I went out on a calm day last summer to anchor out and brush my bottom, Dropped in sand in about 40' of calm water, and got a good set with about 50' of chain and 40-50' of nylon rode. After anchoring, I had lunch and then a nice afternoon, swimming around the boat in 80° water. As the day progressed, the wind picked up a little, and we started to get a 1-2' confused chop. When it was time to head in, trying to pull up this anchor solo was nearly impossible. I was having to pull with no windlass, against the wind with no forward motoring. Every time a wave would hit the bow, it would try to rip the anchor rode out of my hands. I don't usually wear gloves, but after about 3 minutes, I re-tied the anchor and went below for them. I eventually got it up, but I was beat, and have been trying to find a windlass to fit my locker ever since.

2015-04-05 17.09.07.jpg

What would you have done differently?

Attachments

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
It isn't clear why you could not slowly motor forward over the anchor to break it free and then haul it in. I also assume you tried to snub the rode to a cleat each time a wave hit the bow and brought it down. Did that not work? Sounds like you had a real work out....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The old Sampson Post was a great resource for anchor management and retrieval.
11141.jpg samson post.JPG
Gives you something to tie off the rode and a resource to use to belay the rode. You can leverage the rode or chain against the post to aid the solo sailor in retrieval.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
It isn't clear why you could not slowly motor forward over the anchor to break it free and then haul it in. I also assume you tried to snub the rode to a cleat each time a wave hit the bow and brought it down. Did that not work? Sounds like you had a real work out....
Due to the seas, I could not motor forward, and expect the boat to continue in the same direction. It was bobbing around pretty good. While I was pulling in the nylon, I was able to snub it with the waves, but they were not predictable. Once I got to the chain, I could not. the chain on this anchor will not go around the cleats on my bow, and I do not yet have a chain hook. When I anchor offshore, I set out all of the chain, and some nylon to cleat to the bow. In shallow anchorages, I have a Danforth backup, that only has about 15' of chain that I use. (you can see the hanger for it in the picture)

The old Sampson Post was a great resource for anchor management and retrieval.
Gives you something to tie off the rode and a resource to use to belay the rode. You can leverage the rode or chain against the post to aid the solo sailor in retrieval.
I wish these were more common today, but can you wrap chain on them?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You were on less than a 2:1 scope. I would have brought up to the chain, securely snubbed it off and backed the boat around to the other side of my set to lever out the anchor, then haul it in.

This is, by the way, one of the many reasons why sailors need to spend some time in the gym...regularly load a few wagons of hay, or split a few chords of wood. Even if you have a powered windlass.

Mar 1, 2012
Nice anchor. The 80 feet of chain gives the anchor real purchase unless your in a Force 12 gale. And the chain is the back breaker to retrieve if your over 60...
well, I'm 76, and seldom have problems. When I do, I put the chain hook on, lead that line back to a winch and crank

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
well, I'm 76, and seldom have problems. When I do, I put the chain hook on, lead that line back to a winch and crank
That is a great idea. I guess I need a chain hook.

ps: Two more questions.
1) How do you attach a bridle to line rode?
2) How do you anchor deep? (I scuba dive, and some of the great local dives are in 120+ feet of water.)

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
^^
1. Why do you need a bridle? The line will absorb the shock. Just wrap chafe gear around the rode at the roller. Catamarans (have to use a bridle) use either a camel hitch or prusik hitch. A rolling hitch is more prone to slipping.

2. Lotsa a rope. However, less scope is needed in very deep water, though that is far more true with chain than rope. You are going to need a LOT of rope.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
1) Prusik hitch
2) You would need at least 400 feet of rode, and you still need to leave a dive watch on deck. You might as well drift, move in for recovery.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Can't solve the "anchor deep" issues but if you anchor in more secure sites you can pull the boat toward the anchor and let momentum carry it to break out the anchor. Also makes your sleeping better knowing that you are anchored in a snug location and not likely to drag. Seriously, I've spent a lot o nights in less than secure sites and it is worth the extra 15 minutes to motor a little further up the river to find the secure site. The Admiral is happier too (but this is solo anchoring so not an issue). Which makes me wonder why anybody would want to sail solo.