Solid Bimini / Solar Panel Mount

Daddio

Nov 22, 2013
Hunter 29.5 Elbow marina, Lake Diefenbaker, Sask.
I have a hunter 29.5 and am looking for new ideas to mount my two 100w solar panels. I currently have them mounted on our Bimini but they are a pain to install and remove for winter storage. I was thinking a solid Bimini might be a better idea but I have not seen one. Has anyone seen or built one? Or does anyone have a great system for mounting their solar panels?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
On a pole (solar stick) with 2 axis tracking
off the stern rail attached with a hinge so you can drop/raise them during docking
On a towed float or dingy
mod the bimini so it is not a pain (probably using strategically placed zippers)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter Catalina 400 PORT JEFERSON, NY
Solid Bimini
Recently on my Catalina 400, I removed the aging bimini and replaced it with sheets of pvc in 1/2" x 4' x 8'. I had to glue them together to get the size I needed(5200 and clean up immediately). The sheets have some flexibility and easily take on the shape of the frame. It is held onto the frame with stainless steel conduit clamps from McMaster. I then mounted my solar panels to the bimini, a total of 540 watts which is the reason I went to a solid bimini. It worked so well that I also now have a hard dodger.

Alan Johnson, Catalina 400, Port Jefferson NY

Daddio

Nov 22, 2013
Hunter 29.5 Elbow marina, Lake Diefenbaker, Sask.
Yes Alan, if you had pictures that would be great. The pole sounds interesting but I am not sure how solid it would be while sailing. I keep the panels deployed all the time as we run our fridge of them. Can't put it on the dingy as it already has its own solar power supply.
image.jpeg
Any other ideas? I will try to find pictures of how they have been installed but the boat is put away for winter.

Feb 11, 2017
Rival 32 Traverse City, MI
I have a solid Bimini on my boat. The previous owners had it fabricated. Three 40 watt solar panels are mounted on top and there is room for more or bigger panels if I wanted. The solid Bimini has its tradeoffs but, overall, I like it.

thecage4.jpg
thecage3.jpg

You can see the bare frame in the top photo. The bottom photo shows what it looks like with top canvas and solar panels.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Get the thin, light weight panels from Mainesail, and mount them with zippers to your bimini top. Easy as unzipping a zipper to remove for the winter, and no framework is needed.