Soldering PL-259 Connectors

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
A recent thread called Radio Check pitted a sailor with the issue of RF cables and PL-259 (UHF) connectors on his VHF. Several boaters made recommendations on how to solder the connector to the cable. Maine Sail quoted Vizwhiz on how to solder the braid to the connector http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=171879&#post1217511.

Since I use RG-8X and not RG-8 or LMR400 my connectors have a reducer. The issue I have is soldering the braid that is folded over the reducer. Too many times after screwing the reducer on I find little or no braid available to solder through the holes in the connector.

The discussion in the link talked about tinning the braid so that a foundation was available to solder on the connector. I have thought of different ways to do this but then found this PDF file that recommended a simpler way to ensure the braid make contact with the reducer 100%.

The concept is to solder the braid to the tip of the reducer then trim back all the excess braid. Sounds simple enough. Once the connector is fitted to the reducer, solder the tip and then the reducer to the connector via the holes.

Here is the PDF link (written by K6MHE and courtesy of W5FC) so that you can read about it and utilize this procedure if you think it will benefit your work with RF cables and PL-259 connectors.

http://www.w5fc.org/files/how-to/PL259.PDF

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Along the way of 50+ years in ham radio and antenna design and experimenting, I think I've tried every variation including those you mention. None are new or untried. As one example, with small dia coax like RG58 and its clones with which the braid becomes problematic, I've found trying to tin the braid usually ends up melting the dielectric regardless of how careful or experienced one is.

If the manufacturers gave any merit to these suggestions, they wouldn't bother leaving the solder roles in the outer barrel case.