soldering iron

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I think one of my problems with electronics is using a crappy soldering iron. I'm making a new VHF cable and need to get a good solder.

So for fine wiring, what soldering gun should I get? How many watts?

Thnx

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Hmmm. Can I trust this recommendation? ;-)

Very hard to find it for sale outside of google ads or amazon. Both on my avoid list.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I like cordless hand tools, including a soldering iron. Weller. But I am eyeing those larger torch adaptable types that let me melt rope ends...and glaze the Brulee'!

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I keep a Butane fired soldering iron aboard along with and extra butane cartridge, since I'm often anchored out and have no a/c aboard except for a small inverter. Google "butane soldering iron" and you'll find many

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
My corded Weller (the higher wattage one) made short work of my new coaxial fittings.
Actually, I used a friend's big Weller gun, then bought my own right after that.

But yeah, if you're on DC, what those guys said. Mmm, creme brulee....

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
My 100w Weller takes forever to heat up. Even with a new tip.

I have tons of solar and battery so a soldering gun is no big deal. Yesterday I ran my heat gun on my new, excellent inverter, with no problem.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
For cables and large connectors - Weller Model 8200 100/140 watt. Key here is to not hold the hot tip on the part for extended periods of time. Presolder (tinting) and use a good solder flux. Plus, get the rope cutting tip and you can trim your lines.

For small connectors - Weller WP-25. You can get an assortment of tips from very very fine pencil tip to wider screwdriver tip.

I actually have four soldering irons. The two Weller iron above, an older Jensen iron, and an adjustable 60 watt Chinese iron that works rather nicely. The Chinese iron heats up quickly, as does the Weller 8200.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My 100w Weller takes forever to heat up. Even with a new tip.
If the set screws are even a little bit loose, the tip takes forever to heat up if it does at all.

As others have noted, get the rope cutting tip. It does a much better job of sealing the rope ends and can cut/sear synthetic fabric, nylon, dacron, sunbrella, etc.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... get the rope cutting tip. .
You can use the rope-cutting tip on the smaller Weller if you drill out the two mounting sockets to fit the tip into it. Might have to bend it a bit IIRC?

Feb 17, 2006
I tightened the screws TIGHT. I wonder if there is some other resistance
Where the contact is made in the heating unit, it is probably dirty and corroded from many heating cycles. You can probably clean it but with what I am not sure. Sometimes one has to remove the tip and reseat it, several times.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
the size of the job will dictate the wattage of the iron/torch. For coax connectors I always use a torch and pre tin the connectors. The 1000++++ wattage of a torch will get you into trouble with melted insulation so ....... it's a learning process. Trying to get a 5 watt iron to do big projects is imposable. The heat lost due to conduction and convection is greater than the wattage of the iron so it is never going to get hot enough. A torch can be use on a small project but you can fry stuff so easily........ get the right tool for the job!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
the size of the job will dictate the wattage of the iron/torch. For coax connectors I always use a torch and pre tin the connectors. The 1000++++ wattage of a torch will get you into trouble with melted insulation so ....... it's a learning process. Trying to get a 5 watt iron to do big projects is imposable. The heat lost due to conduction and convection is greater than the wattage of the iron so it is never going to get hot enough. A torch can be use on a small project but you can fry stuff so easily........ get the right tool for the job!
Bingo..!

The Hakko I recommended may be a bit overkill for the job, but once you own one you'd never go back. It really is a good value and performs significantly better than my old Weller station. Set the temp where you want it, I use 800F for RG-213 or LMR-400, and it does an amazing job. Pre-tinning is a good and pretty critical step especially if you're not used to soldering. A liquid solder flux, I use GC Electronics PN# 10-4202, really helps too especially with used cable (used cable is a real PITA with solder). If the cable is old a SS wire wheel in a Dremel will be necessary to clean the conductor or to keep stripping back until you hit good braid and center conductor. For solder/solder I use only Amphenol PL-259's.

If you are doing this at the top of a spar, in a chair, then a crimp solder connector would be wise. A mini-torch can be use to solder the pin and the braid gets crimped.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
After many years (since 1974 but retired in 2011) in the Avionics world, the biggest problem with solder is skill, not tools. Practice not overheating or underheating the connection, but without letting the wire wick solder where it doesn't belong. Over the years I've been amazed at the people who think they can solder, but can't. They can't even tell what bad work is. This is why I'm an advocate of solderless connections. Only solder if there is no other option unless you are willing to put in the time in training.

Ken

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Agree with Ken. After 38 yrs in Avionics, using the tools correctly is paramount. You can use to high wattage of an iron but know where to put the heat and when to back off. Know how to tin.. Try soldering 55 wires into a 55 pin solder pot connector!! There are rules about how these joints are supposd to look...This goes from PL-259 connectors to integrated circuits on boards. Ken, we had to have crossed paths sometime...I spent most of my time in electromagnetics and lightning protection...

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
So I repaired the weller and it works. used a drill bit to ream out the insides.
I made a new cable to go from the radio base to the mast since the old one was probably 30 years old. Checked continuity at the first connector I made up and that was good so I ran the wire from the mast to the radio. There I made the second PL259 connection and continuity was bad. Hmmm. Redid it and still bad. Disconnected it from the mast end and no more continuity problem. Uh Oh! Checked the antenna wire that runs up the mast and bad news, it has continuity between the shield and the pin. The radio does work but I am sure it is causing issues.

Before I replace the entire cable up the mast and before I go to the top to check continuity at that end is there something else I should be considering?

Also, there is a barrel connector at the base of the mast to join the two PL259 connectors together. Are some better than others?

Feb 17, 2006
When you say you tested continuity on the cable going up the mast, what is on the other end? If it is a VHF antenna then you are actually seeing the results of a coil in the antenna base. VHF antennas cannot be tested this way. Simply because of the coil in the base of the antenna. If the antenna was a single whip type with direct connect to the base such as 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave vertical then it would pass the continuity check since the base is not connected to the ground system or counterpoise.