Solar panels

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Who has solar panels and how do you have them mounted?

I do not think that I want them exposed all of the time because they would get damaged. Am I wrong? I think I saw a picture of someone who had them basically covering his foredeck and he walked on them.

Thoughts?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@letlmt .. you ask great questions.
I am confused. How do you plan to use this boat? One day were discussion the sails and looking at the issues of racing, then your exploring the solar panel issues of a live aboard cruiser. And if I understand your location, Lake George NY, your in a land locked lake which is an ideal day sailor, local beer races, sailing venue.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I plan to singlehand the boat, take 2-3 day jaunts up the lake, anchor overnight in some of the beautiful bays and also competitively race the boat in the Wednesday night races with a crew. The lake is too big to sail from end to end in one day and I want to be able to be out for a few days and not lose power. I want it all.

Oct 22, 2014
I want it all.
That is what I was suspecting. You will need a bigger boat.
or your going to need to have everything removable and a big storage locker. You are either putting dollar signs in the eyes of the boat dealer ( Oh Boy this will be a great Christmas) or they run for the back door to hide in the closet when they see you pull into the parking lot.

Cruising is usually outfitting for comfort. Think camping along the Appalachian trail by driving from site to site car loaded with all the gear you can find, verse racing which is only having for overnight what you want to carry on your back.

Regarding your solar needs, Base it on the battery capacities. There are light weight portable panels being developed that you can set up and take down. Your batteries for cruising are going to be too heavy to have for racing. So consideration may be to avoid the cruising sailboat design and think back pack camper in a boat.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
You will need a bigger boat or your going to need to have everything removable and a big storage locker.
Competitive racers have their boats set up minimalist - with only the things necessary to win a race. Nothing extra.
One local skipper had a ships saying "If you use it (the porta potty) you have to empty it."
Enjoyable cruising is about having anything one needs to be comfortable which translates into weight, and more weight translates into more drag, and more drag translates into slower boat.
I've heard many stories about what diehard racers do to lighten their boat, legally and illegally, because weight makes a difference.
In fact, there is one very good sailor here that races solo, no heavy crew, and he always wins and that's on a J-35. Well, I say "always" because I've never heard of him not winning.
So, I kinda of have to agree about the difference between boating styles, racing vs. cruising. Bottom line: It's all about where one wants to be, at one end or the other (racing or cruising), or just happy in the middle (maybe). Don't forget, good crew likes food and drink$ after the race and the skipper gets to do all the repair$.

Last edited:

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I used to own and competitively race a J/120 and know all about stripping the boat (only legally for me). I will just be racing in Wednesday night beer can races that should be pretty low key. I am doing it because I enjoy racing.

The solar panels would be easily removable for sure. I would probably only have them on board when I am out for a few days at a time. Otherwise they will be stored in my shed.

The boat would only have 1 battery all of the time, it is only needed for the instruments. I guess the regulating equipment and extra wires for the solar panel will weigh a little, but I am not running a Grand Prix program.

I have not added anything to the boat that adds significant weight, most of the changes I am making are performance oriented to make the sails more trimable and controllable. I think the performance increase will more than pay for the weight.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I added 2-195 watt panels on top my arch on my Hunter-36 basically over my Bimini in
2010 and have never been off here in SW Florida and yes no hurricanes but cruise 2 times
every year for 3 weeks at a time up and down from KeyWestto Tarpon Springs and still going strong .
Nick

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I have 2 65watt flex panel on the dodger from Apr-Nov. with no problems.

Oct 22, 2014
@letimt I suspect your 50W panel will be excellent to maintain your battery between your rac events. A good deep cycle G30 or 31 12V battery should be very functional for your needs with out a lot of extra unneeded weight. Nite time lights can be from solar lights. I have a couple of Lucy lights that do a great job of lighting the boat at night. No drag on the house bank.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I use a 100w flex panel from Grape Solar that I bungee to the bimini (pic). With MPPT controller.
Have a quick disconnect plug in cockpit for panel input.
It runs the whole boat, including Indel TB18 fridge, charging phone, tablet, etc. All LED lights reduce consumption drastically. The controller is green (full charge) by mid afternoon. -this is when moored/anchored. Under way uses more juice with AP, chart plotter, VHF, instruments, etc. Not a problem with one day passages, but 100w would be inadequate for long crossings.
I only use the panel when cruising, then it hides under the quarter berth cushion.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I have 4x100w mounted to a frame over my bimini with zip ties. This way I can easily remove them. In your case, just add another battery and recharge at the dock when you return. 2 - 3 days shouldn't be a problem.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
I have a 100w flex solar panel with a charge controller NOT permanently installed that I can use on overnight trips to recharge batteries if necessary. Also have a second spare battery on board. There really isn’t any room on the CP-22 for a permanent installation IMHO....

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Keep in mind that everyone has different goals while sailing. I race but I consider it as practice for effective daysailing.

I have a 110 watt rigid solar panel permanently attached above the stern. The goal was to charge and maintain the 24 volt, 210 amp lead-acid battery bank while on a mooring all season. The standard "12 volt" solar panel needed a 12-volt to 24-volt booster controller.

The battery is used to power a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 electric outboard for several years. The solar panel via a separate 12-volt charge controller also charges the "house" battery that runs the lights and electronics

Last season I changed the lead-acid batteries to lithium and shed 200 lbs. Plus I increased the rigid solar panel to 160 watts. The solar panel continues to charge the batteries while we enjoy the sunshine as we sail.

Previously, I tried using Ganz flexible walk-on panels on the foredeck. They worked well for two years reducing windage. But the flexible panels all failed about the same time. The internal connections between the solar cells broke during the heat and cold cycles (not the walking on).

The frame is 1-inch tubing (lighter gauge would be sufficient) clamped onto the stern pulpit.

The photo shows the basic configuration. It was taken this September at the annual Hull YC "Great Chase Race". There was an hour delay waiting for the wind to appear. We had to motor over from Winthrop and then troll around for the delay. Eventually the wind came up and provided an enjoyable race.

Ophelia - Great Chase Race 2018.jpg