Solar Panel Installation hunter legend 35.5

Sep 27, 2014
Hunter 35.5 Legion Oceanside
Need assistance on installation and wiring of solar panels on a 1994 Hunter legend. We have an inverter, The installation seems pretty straight forward, deciding on wiring in series or parallel is dependent on your needs, I am confused as to how the Controller is wired to the battery(s). We have an inverter that has a controller for charging bank 1 or 2 or both. Can the Solar panel controller be wired to the inverter?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Batteries

I have a inverter/charger but wired the solar controller to the batteries and this way the solar is always charging the batteries and only need inverter/charge to charge maybe at night or charging off most times.
nick

Sep 27, 2014
Re: Batteries

Would you have any pictures of how it is wired directly to the batteries from the controller? I once knew a Mary Ellen (Marshall), she was brilliant and a very talented person!!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Manual

I have a Blue Sky 3024i controller and remote and I am up in NY
for Xmas but I think if you look up my controller you should be able to
see the install.
Basicly the wires go into the controller + wire and - wire with a off & on switch
before the controller and than + wire & - wire to the batteries with a circuit breaker for the + on the batteries with #6 wire I think and a long wire run.
What controller do you have.
Nick & MaryEllen from Brooklyn not marshall.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
drkmcdaniel, what kind of controller do you have? If you give us the manufacture of the equipment you are trying to install you may get more responses.

Most controllers I have seen have three connections. One for battery (with a little battery icon), one for the panels (not to exceed the maximum current handling of the controller - little panel icon), and one switched for interior lighting (not to exceed the controllers current handling). I believe the inverter should be tied to the batteries and not the controller.

Sep 27, 2014
Thank you much!!, haven't decided on a controller yet, although I am going to go with an MPPT Controller (which is what yours is). As I don't have enough knowledge in this area I am trying understand if some sort of device is needed for isolation between battery Banks or if the controller manages that :) Again thank you!! Merry Christmas from Janis and Keith (Sea Honey) Oceanside, CA

Sep 27, 2014
Actually I haven't decided on a controller yet, although it will be MPPT type. I am asking the questions to get valued input from the forum before I actually purchase the controller. My knowledge is limited in this area so I am hoping for suggestions on what is best? I am looking at 4x100 watt panels. From what I have read wiring in parallel is more stable if shadowing is highly probable and series is better for increasing output. Assuming I can get past the gymnastics of wiring the panels correctly and assuming an MPPT controller is best. Wiring it to charge multiple battery banks is where I am stuck! Is some sort of Isolator needed to manage switching charging or does the controller handle that, which I assume may be an issue of the controller and its features? Before spending the money I was hoping to be armed with some knowledge from the forum :)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
There are several sailors on SBO who are very knowledgeable. One has a tutorial on Solar Installations. That would be Maine Sail. His site has lots of great tutorials.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/root

On the left side is the "Projects" section of the site.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

And his solar section is:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/solar_panel

That should get you started.

I too have solar on my boat in Camp Pendleton Boat Basin. But it is a single panel of 50 watts. Keeps me topped up when I am out and about. If I add one more panel I will run them in parallel to keep the voltage the same and double the current. Putting them in series will double the voltage and you will need a controller that will handle that higher voltage. Might be a little more expensive. I am not sure.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Banks

A little help as far as battery banks and just discussed hear and it explains how
much better one big bank is.
I did have 2-4D's but when they needed replacing I went with one large bank of 4- 6 volt batteries and easy to charge 1 bank and did add a starter battery
and my charge controller does have aux outlet for a starter battery.
I am no expert and just did a lot of reading here and reading on internet about solar.
Nick

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
1. Assuming I can get past the gymnastics of wiring the panels correctly and assuming an MPPT controller is best.

2. Wiring it to charge multiple battery banks is where I am stuck! Is some sort of Isolator needed to manage switching charging or does the controller handle that...
1. Shouldn't be gymnastics unless you're dealing with tight spaces. Do a wiring diagram, first, and plan ahead.

2. Isolators: NOOOOO. See this: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=1172823&highlight=combiner

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
You should not need 4 ea 100w panels in Oceanside! Calculate your draw and base your solar watt need on that. Chief

Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
Each solar panel needs its own mppt controller. No switching between panels.

Ben

Nov 26, 2012
Not necessarily Ben! The gain with separate controllers is basically negligible. The extra cost is just not worth it! Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Bob: How many solar watts do you have for your boat? My boat is smaller than you but with reefer inc. I use 2 ea 80 watt panels & one controller. Chief, Electronic Eng.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Bob: How many solar watts do you have for your boat? My boat is smaller than you but with reefer inc. I use 2 ea 80 watt panels & one controller. Chief, Electronic Eng.
We have one panel, Kyocera, 325 W. Our energy budget is about 120 Ahr per day at anchor. We Live aboard in Florida and Bahamas Dec. to May. We have all LED lighting. A 140 Amp alternator, 50 Amp Sterling battery charger and 3.5 kw generator. Often run the generator in the morning at breakfast and the panel finishes it off and keeps up with our fridge, freezer ect. We don't sit still for weeks at anchor. The panel alone seems to able to keep us happy for a few days, by then the genny or engine needs to be run. Our house bank is 400 AHr AGMs.

Bob

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
We have one panel, Kyocera, 325 W. Our energy budget is about 120 Ahr per day at anchor. We Live aboard in Florida and Bahamas Dec. to May. We have all LED lighting. A 140 Amp alternator, 50 Amp Sterling battery charger and 3.5 kw generator. Often run the generator in the morning at breakfast and the panel finishes it off and keeps up with our fridge, freezer ect. We don't sit still for weeks at anchor. The panel alone seems to able to keep us happy for a few days, by then the genny or engine needs to be run. Our house bank is 400 AHr AGMs.

Bob
sounds like to me you have the 12v power thing covered you 12v power is worth more than my whole boat :D

Nov 26, 2012
Woodster: Sounds like we need to go where Bob goes! All we would have to do is tie up alongside and plug into his systems! ha Chief

Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
Not necessarily Ben! The gain with separate controllers is basically negligible. The extra cost is just not worth it! Chief
That is great news! My hesitation was where I thought I was going to put all the controllers.