Solar panel directly driving a thermocouple cooler

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
This was brought up earlier in another thread which I didnt want to hijack so started this..

Chief RA has posted a couple times about using a solar panel to directly drive one of those thermocouple coolers and I think this is interesting and hopefully Chief RA can tell us more about how it works. I think this is "cool" by the way..

A battery is a constant voltage and a solar panel is constant current so they are way different in how they power things. But what Chief RA is doing is pretty clever in how simple it is and there isnt really anything wrong with doing this.

I found this spec for a electric part of a thermoelectric cooler http://www.customthermoelectric.com/tecs/pdf/07111-5L30-25CJ_spec_sht.pdf

The reason for the link is for the V vs I curve at the bottom of the page. A resistor will have a constant slope of V vs I and this thermocouple mostly does also. The difference between the thermocouple and a resistor is an "offset" where the current doesn't start flowing until the voltage gets to 1 or 2 volts. But its still very similar to a resistor and a solar panel will power a resistor just fine. The panel will produce current which results in a voltage across the resistor simply defined by ohms law. For max power into the resistor, you would match the resistor value so that the voltage produced was the same as the panel maximum power point voltage.

Ill use the thermocoupler in that spec sheet as an example and it lists some specs of 2.5 amps at 8.6 volts. Two of these in series would operate at just over 17 volts which is of course in the ball park of the maximum power voltage of a "12 volt" solar panel. In this case of picking a solar panel to power two of these thermocouples in series, you would pick a panel peak power of 2.5 amps * 17.2 volts = 43 watts.. Just one case, there are a huge variety of thermocouples available.

This is just an example.. I dont know what Chief is using (I think its closer to 100 watts of solar). Someone will note that the conventional setup with solar, MPPT controller, battery, compressor fridge is more efficient and this is true. But.. its also WAY more complicated and expensive than one of these thermoelectric coolers plus a solar panel.. Its interesting for a smaller boat application.

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Here is a quick and dirty spread sheet showing a comparison of the power "delivered to the load" for a solar panel run through either a MPPT solar controller or PWM solar controller or directly to a thermocouple. I made up the solar panel power profile vs hour so keep that in mind. I didnt intend to pick it to favor one method or the other but it of course does. This doesnt take into account battery loss but for this profile you can see that the power delivered direct to the thermocouple is between the MPPT controller and the PWM controller assuming that the panel was matched to the thermocouple.

I dont know the details but the compressor coolers are supposed to be more efficient and that is not considered here.. But its a little bit interesting..

thermocouple_power_comp1.jpg

walt

Jun 1, 2007
The down side of the solar to thermocouple.. this is the same spread sheet as before but the panel currents were cut in half to represent a cloudy day. The thermocouple impedance is no longer matched to the panel max power output and the power delivered really drops off compared to the MPPT controller which can adapt to whatever the panel max power point is.
thermocouple_power_comp2.jpg

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I wasn't sure what a retired electrical engineer does when retired but now I know ;);)

....I dont know the details but the compressor coolers are supposed to be more efficient and that is not considered here.. But its a little bit interesting..View attachment 131300
I've had both and yes the compressor cooler is way more efficient, from my experience anyway. I had a thermocouple in my teardrop trailer and it would totally drain a 12 volt RV type deep cell in a night. I quit using it connected to the battery but put ice in it instead.

Maybe it was worst than some and depending on how one uses one they might be a good deal, but I'll stay with my compressor fridges,

Sumner
=============================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
OK, thanks for your interest. I use an old 75w solar panel hooked directly to my cooler. No regulators, batteries or anything except just a solar panel. Beer locker!
Merry Christmas everyone! Heading for winter on Colorado river again this year, leaving 28th. Chief

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Chief, thanks! I think that is interesting.. It might not be as efficient.. but there are no batteries to get discharged!!! If you lose sun for a day or two, buy a bag of ice.. Sunny days.. cool beer.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Beer is a product really suited for a thermoelectric cooler. A beer at 50 F feels real cold when the ambient temperature is 90 F.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Benny, the way I used it most was as a cooling beer storage unit to keep moving into the reefer as room permits. I have a large RV reefer now so don't take it to Arizona. It is quite effective as a boat cooler especially when using a flexible solar panel. Chief