Solar arch on a Passage 42

Jul 7, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Jacksonville
I'd like to add a stainless steel arch on our Passage 42 for mounting solar panels and am looking for ideas.

I've scoured the web and found a few examples. A couple attached entirely to the scoop, the "arch in a box" from Atlantic Towers is like this. Some attach front legs to the deck and back legs to the scoop.

One I found particularly nice attached entirely to the deck and was integrated with the stern rail so it didn't get in the way of the lazarette hatches. This was on listings for a boat named Proteus that seems to have been sold recently.

I'd like something of similar appearance to the traveller arch so as to not detract too much from the look of the boat.

Has anyone here done it? I'd really like to see pictures.

Thanks,
Daniel

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Daniel, Here is one that we saw in Bradenton a couple of weeks ago. Nice clean install. Do you have dinghy davits?

Attachments

Jul 7, 2014
No dinghy davits, we put it on the forward deck. The traveller arch on the P42 is probably some 8ft or so forward of the transom, so what I'm describing would be an entirely new arch, not something attaching to the existing one. Frankly I'd like to string a hammock diagonally between the two arches if possible. :)

The Passage 42 also has a somewhat unusual stern rail design that makes attaching the typical davits weird. (By "typical" I mean the forespar/kato type that connect to the stern rail) When I've seen them installed on P42s, they added a diagonal cross-brace tying the stern rail to the deck because the design of the stern rail won't provide enough strength on its own. This seems like a tripping hazard I'd like to avoid.

I'm not really sure I want dinghy davits as part of the arch, but it could be nice. I'd like the arch to be strong enough for that to be an option, but the main thing I want is somewhere to put solar panels.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Well the picture I sent is pretty clean and attached to the Arch and bimini structure. Ours is over the Dinghy Davits and tied into the arch

Attachments

Jul 7, 2014
I found a decent picture of the arch on Proteus. The construction style is very similar to the factory traveller arch and it is nicely integrated into the stern rails. So far this is the closest thing I've seen to what I'm looking for...
15232055_10106276217461740_1220898166428471754_n.jpg

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
Daniel, Here is one that we saw in Bradenton a couple of weeks ago. Nice clean install. Do you have dinghy davits?
I love the way the fenders are stored. What kind of clips are those?

Dec 10, 2016
Hunter P42 16 Caribbean on the move
The Atlantic Towers arch can mount pretty much anywhere you like. We mounted ours on the sugar scoop to. I’ve it as far aft as possible. We then added a extra support tube on each side for extra security but I am sure it’s not needed. I just sleep better knowing it’s there.

Below are a couple pics of our Atlantic Tower with dinghy and davit tubes. Since then we have also installed solar and a propane tank rack.

The arch on Proteus is a custom fab job. If that’s what you really want, you’re going to have to start talking to fabricators in your area.
6ED6286B-D9F7-4C11-9113-7F4DCD18DA2D.jpeg
587EEDB8-1536-4636-8FE0-AADF52CDC388.jpeg

Feb 11, 2008
Hunter 42 La Salle , Mi
We Passage 42 owners have inside stays that allow us to walk completely around the boat without being a gymnast and swing around stays that are in our way. I love it like that. The design you have on Proteus will have you ducking or swinging to get around. Or bumping your head.
I went with 2 flexables that I move with the sun optimizing its use. However if I wanted a fixed panel I would add onto the arch that you already have. Thus not destroying your ability to walk the deck. My boat has pole mounted on the starboard step going to the transom. It is used for radar and a small crane to raise and lower the dingey motor. To fix a panel on that pole and have it on a swivel which I have seen before. Would allow you to maximize a smaller panel thus not needing as many panels.Just a couple of opinions and some food for thought.

Attachments

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
I mounted an Atlantic Tower as well. Would like to have had it sit on the deck but couldn't figure out how with out negatively impacting the storage locker access.

Attachments

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Here is our solution. We got four 100 watt flexible and had hard points installed on the bimini. Able to run wires through arch down below. Put on Ocean Marine Systems davits which are custom made for the 42 or 420 passage. (They used to have a contract with the old Hunter for factory installs). We mounted another panel on arch cross brace for a total of 520 watts and the arch panel can be manipulated for optimum sun angle.

For what its worth.
Cheers
fisheye solar.jpg
flag on deck.jpg
back deck.jpg
20180331_073956.jpg

Apr 18, 2017
Hunter 26.5 Brick, New Jersey
Hi, there was a guy who posted a YouTube video about putting an adjustable solar system on his boat, now he has I think a 30’ boat, and mine is a Hunter 26.5, the man put two 100w panels on this frame, and has these easy adjusters to change the angle and rotation of the panels, plus the panels have quick connect fittings making them easy to dismount and store if need be...
How To fit BIG solar panels on a SMALL boat - YouTube
Christopher Barr - Random Chris

Jul 7, 2014
I like the pictures of the arch in a box more than I thought I would, but it looks kind of short. How high above the deck do the solar panels end up?

I am planning on putting 4 x 200W panels for 800W total. That seems to be the absolute max I'll be able to fit. Even if the arch is placed far aft, they will likely overhang the aft deck and I don't want to clonk my noggin on them.

The arch on Proteus looks to me to be plenty high to walk under, which is another thing I like about that design. Not the end of the world, but my marina will also probably bump me from a 45ft slip to a 50ft slip if too much sticks out the back. So, having the arch more forward might be better in that regard.

Apr 21, 2017
Daniel - I tried to get my out of the box arch to height to line up with the boom arch - as such there is plenty of head room under the solar panels as you are stepping down the transom. Head height given my installation is not an issue at all. I would point out that it is quite a job to install these arches. It takes a few people, lots of planning, creative problem solving and some bravery to make the first cut and drill the boat holes. I'm very happy with the end solution.

Jul 7, 2014
Hey Jim, any idea if the solar panels give 6ft of clearance above the aft deck?

And, yeah, the idea of drilling holes in the boat scares me!

Apr 21, 2017
Hey Jim, any idea if the solar panels give 6ft of clearance above the aft deck?

And, yeah, the idea of drilling holes in the boat scares me!
Daniel standing on the aft deck (by the emergency rudder access) the arch will be ~ 5'9 (guesstimate) - almost eye level (boat is on the hard away from home right now so doing from memory. If I recall I cut ~ 2" off the highest Atlantic Arch tube and ~ 20" off the lowest tube). So if you could mount your arch slightly higher on the stern you'd probably get 6'. (I just now recalled that I didn't use the supplied backing plates and instead made larger ones out of 1/2" fiberglass sheet. I think that is why my arch is slightly lower.) But I want to point out that by walking down the stern steps there is way more than 6' clearance.

Given where my arch is located I don't need/use the (expensive) dingy tubes and can easily suspend the dink directly from the arch.

Good luck with your decision. - Jim

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Sorry guys. Didint realize the huge differences in the boats.... Dont envy you.

Good luck

Jul 7, 2014
Jim, thanks for the pictures and measurements, I really appreciate it!

Rick, I see yacht brokers confuse the Passage 42 and 420 *constantly*. And you're right, they are very different boats representing different generations of Hunter design series. I'm not going to argue which is better or worse -- every boat design decision is a compromise of some sort. Enjoy the one you've got!

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
Daniel, your post says you are focused on adding another arch, so I have not yet joined in here. On my Passage 42 I went a different route. My bimini is constructed with an even height all the way across the cockpit fore-and-aft. I placed two full-sized solar panels side-by-side just atop the bimini. I had two stainless steel rails fashioned with feet that attach to the original radar arch on the aft end, and to the bimini rail on the forward end. I then attached lengths of angle-aluminum to those ss rails. The panels fit right into the angle portions of the angle aluminum. It works great, and I just pull my boom out whenever I am at anchor or in the slip (to get unobstructed sun). I have been quite surprised at all the power the panels supply; I rarely run my generator anymore at anchor.

Again, this is an installation that does not include an additional arch, so it may not be what you are looking for; I just wanted to present an alternative if you were interested. Unfortunately I have no photos right now.

Jul 7, 2014
Hi Paul,

An interesting idea, thanks for sharing. How big are the panels you fit? (physically and watts)

Thanks,
Daniel