Solar and Blue Sea Controller

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
I’ve got solar on our 30ft Cat and also 2 batteries. One regular size and a big one. Was going to use the large battery for house and the regular 12 volt for start. Question is the Blue Sea controllers, Do they have a set point for amperage coming from the solar that will let the solar charge while sailing. I’ve sent blue Sea a message but haven’t heard back yet. We also have a battery charger on board when hooked to shore power. Not sure if it’s really doing it’s thing. Output is okay but all batteries seem low. Almost lost of current when starting. Thought I’d ask here. Also being trying to find wiring diagrams for this kind of setup. Do I need 3 controllers or 2 or how does a guy do all this. I’ve looked over the Cat34 site but can’t seem to find the diagram I’m after. I know there must be lots of boats out there with the same setup. Wiring on our boat is old from previous owner and want to redo the whole thing. How far from panel and engine to batteries is acceptable. Number 4 wire is ran in our boat. To start is about 3 ft from panel and in under chart table. The large battery is in under sole behind fuel tank area. As I said wiring is quite a mess. Just want to redo runnning proper size wire and lengths plus having the solar and battery charger do the right thing. We leave our boat sit for months while we are away so solar is only thing running to keep batteries up for bilge pump. Then when we are at boat in slip we plug in when not sailing. Just want to sort this whole thing out. Always worried when away that batteries okay for bilge.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
You have a lot of questions. But we have all been there. I don't really have the time to answer all but will send you in the right direction.

First, you don't need a starting battery and a house bank. Most people are now going to a large primary bank and a smaller reserve. You can do everything from both banks, start, refrigeration, nav instruments, lights, etc. Go to the "Featured Contributors" section of these forms and look for Mainesail's Musings. He has a number of sticky topics. One of them is on rewiring the 1/2/both/off switch. This will give more details.

On bank size, I have helped some friends install better battery banks on C30s. Easiest is to put two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series in the battery box under the starboard laz and a group 24 or 27 either near the fuel tank or in the hanging locker.

Wire size is based on the load and weather it is a critical system or not (this is important for the voltage drop). But from my past experience with C30s the 4 AWG is too small. Typically I have rewired with 2/0 AWG and eliminated the issues during starting. Blue Sea System has a good chart on selecting wire size and fuses (don't forget to add fuses). Remember that wire length is measured round trip. So if it's 10 feet from the batteries to the water pump that is a 20 foot run.

Solar controllers will work while under sail or under motor. Getting the right type and size is key. I personally would not bother with a PWM on my boat and only go for MPPT controllers.

To save yourself a lot hassle, go to the Mainesail's Musings section and read most of the posts. Then go to his website and read everything there. https://marinehowto.com

If you go to my blog you can also find a lot of articles on batteries, wiring and solar where I went through all of these issues and have links to the various Mainesail posts and other information.

Good luck and Fair winds,

Jesse

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I’ve got solar on our 30ft Cat and also 2 batteries. One regular size and a big one. Was going to use the large battery for house and the regular 12 volt for start. Question is the Blue Sea controllers, Do they have a set point for amperage coming from the solar that will let the solar charge while sailing. I’ve sent blue Sea a message but haven’t heard back yet. We also have a battery charger on board when hooked to shore power. Not sure if it’s really doing it’s thing. Output is okay but all batteries seem low. Almost lost of current when starting. Thought I’d ask here. Also being trying to find wiring diagrams for this kind of setup. Do I need 3 controllers or 2 or how does a guy do all this. I’ve looked over the Cat34 site but can’t seem to find the diagram I’m after. I know there must be lots of boats out there with the same setup. Wiring on our boat is old from previous owner and want to redo the whole thing. How far from panel and engine to batteries is acceptable. Number 4 wire is ran in our boat. To start is about 3 ft from panel and in under chart table. The large battery is in under sole behind fuel tank area. As I said wiring is quite a mess. Just want to redo runnning proper size wire and lengths plus having the solar and battery charger do the right thing. We leave our boat sit for months while we are away so solar is only thing running to keep batteries up for bilge pump. Then when we are at boat in slip we plug in when not sailing. Just want to sort this whole thing out. Always worried when away that batteries okay for bilge.
Blue Sea Systems does not make solar controllers but they do make a product called an ACR or "Automatic combining relay".

#1 All charge sources should feed the house bank (wind, solar, alternator and shore charger)

#2 A Blue Sea ACR, Echo Charger, Duo Charger or other combiner or DC to DC charger is placed between the HOUSE & START banks. When hHOUSE voltage rises to combine / parallel / ON level both banks will get charged automatically.

#3 Without more information we really can't help much;
- "Regular size" and "big one" are okay for buying coffee, but not for describing batteries? Ah capacity? Brand? Model?
- How many watts of solar?
- Where is solar located on the boat?
- What solar controller are you using? Brand and model #?
- Battery charger? Brand and model #?
- Alternator amperage? Brand and model#?
- Battery switch configuration?
- Where is bilge pump wired to?

The more you give us the easier it is to guide you...