So we decided to go big...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
Holee crapola

OK, so...

Put fuel in the boat. Tank is a 20 gallon, 090 thick aluminum.

12 Hours, 15 minutes total trip time.

Engine RPM, 2700, mainsail up, 10-15 kts directly astern, averaged 6.2-6.5 kts all the way.

Surfed some 3 foot swells, saw as high as 7.7 kts on the GPS!! :eek: Probably a fluke, but DAMN!!!!

Total fuel burn, about 7.75 gallons. Or about .63 gallons per hour.

Which is EXACTLY what the book says it should burn! How cool is that!!!! :D

Universal M-18, 14 horse, ran exactly 185 degrees engine temp the whole way.

Never once throttle back.

Here are some pics, nothing of the boat overall yet, we haven't been in a position to get a good shot from afar yet. Mostly of us having fun!!!

Attachments

Aug 27, 2011
The only damper to the whole deal, was that when I paid for the boat, all the equipment was on it. We also left our cleaning supplies on board.

When I went to pick the boat up, all the safety equipment was gone, flares, med kit, paddle, boat hook, as well as the dodger/bimini poles, and a few other things.

I have fired off a nastygram to the seamanship school in Stuart Fl where we bought it to see what they will do to make it right. We shall see what the response is...

Try to be a nice guy, and make a deal on a handshake, and this is what happens...figures...

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Looks like you all had a good time moving the boat. Boat looks good. Could it be the wife is a UK fan? Noticed the blue/white shorts. If she says no she is probably in denial. LOL

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Congratulations you two!! Thanks for the great pictures of your trip, makes me miss that salty water a little bit. I think we all look forward to seeing and hearing about more cruises and adventures from you all in the future.

Aug 27, 2011
The seller attempted to make it right at least. We had to drive 200 mile round trip to Stuart to go get the stuff. They "found" our cleaning brushes, they "scrounged" the yard sale pile to get us everything that was taken off our boat. I found it very funny that all the stuff they had to scrounge for was exactly the stuff that was on there when we bought it...kinda funny...

Oh well...

We scored a cheap bimini...has some holes, but nothing that we can't fix! Beats the alternative!

Got some other things getting sorted out, lots and lots of cleaning, interior cushions getting laundered, and the years of fuel oil and musty smells are finally subsiding.

The MOST important thing we have done so far...

Got the cup holder mounted! WOOHOO!!!

LOL

Aug 27, 2011
Update and Pics

Somebody learned how to whip the ends of lines! Feel like a proper sailor now!

:D :dance:

Been doing some cleaning (Linda) and some repairs/rework of some issues the boat has.

Cleaned up a TON of screwed up wiring. I hate it when people use automotive butt splices and wire for boat use. What is WRONG with solder and shrink tubing? It is faster than a damn butt splice!!! LOL

Found a few plumbing issues. The anchor locker drain hole was plugged. So the anchor locker filled with rain water. That rain water then flowed down the disconnected vent for the holding tank and into the bow under the v berth. Also the lovely smell of the holding tank was filing the interior of the boat with its wonderful aroma. :cussing: All it would have taken is a new HOSE CLAMP!!! Ugh...why are people SO lazy? I figured buying a boat from a very famous maritime school would give me a sense of comfort that it was properly maintained. Guess not.

Also the emacerator pump is shot. Doesn't even try to turn. Just blows fuses. Even tried tapping on it, no good.

Galley sink leaks, not from drain line, but from around the drain assy. itself. No big deal, nothing a little butyl tape won't fix.

ALL the plumbing hose needs to be replaced. It is all 30 years old and is done. Modern Tygon is going back in. Little bit at a time.

Also nothing is double clamped. Gonna have to fix that too! :naughty:

Packing gland drips a bit. About 45 drips a minute. Too much for my liking. We will try and tighten that up a bit for now, and repack it when we eventually haul it out.

Fuel level sender is shot, anybody got a recommendation on that? Gonna suck trying to get to it.

Tach is intermittent. It is dead, then you rev the engine, and it will start to work. Is that normal?

NONE of the mast lights work. Power at the switches, so guess we are going up the stick.

Terrible screech from the darn sliding hatch, why me? LOL
Anywho... Pics to follow!

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Ah Neal, it ain't that bad. Welcome to "big" boats. The shaft seal should drip no more than two, or three times a minute, and NONE when the shaft is not rotating. Just try and tighten it up a tad.
On the macerator pump, there is a slot in the shaft on the back side of the motor, that you can stick a large screwdriver in and physically turn the motor/pump, in case it gets jammed. maybe you can free it up.
Fuel sender? Not a problem. I've replaced three of them in the last month. Problematic little suckers, with a short life span. They're cheap, and easy to replace if you can get to it. Try and go with a Moeller. I think around 35 bucks.
Patience my friend.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Intermittent tach: it runs from a signal/wire from the alternator, could be a loose belt or a bad connection.

Aug 27, 2011
Thanks to both y'all Chris and Stu. I will attempt to locate a Moeller sender and I have a feeling the wires may need a cleaning and checking over on the ALT. I have a new belt too, time to swap it out, dry rot is getting a bit too much for my liking.

I was trying to hold off on the engine service until next week.

Aug 27, 2011
Swapped the fuel sender today....that job SUCKED! Darn thing is half under the hull liner and half in the open. Had to actually disassemble the metal top from the sending unit itself in order to get it in there. Kinda precarious...I'll post some pictures later.

Also found out there is NO raw water strainer. NO fuel water separator filter (Raycor) and quite a bit of green corrosion to clean on the coupling and packing gland.

PO had clogged the vent in the anchor locker that vents the holding tank. So, at some point they just decided to cut the vent line instead of cleaning the paint out of the vent itself. Ugh...more half a$$ed stuff on this boat is discovered every time we go work on it. BUT, when we are done, it will be Mike Holmes right!

Pulled a bunch of woodwork out of the boat for varnishing. We are going to seal everything up. compartment covers, everything.

Anybody have any experience with painting that Formica crap? Rustoleoum sells a kit for it, thought about trying it.

Pics later.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Neal, I know squat about painting formica.
But call Gwinn up in Oriental. He's got a couple of "old style" Racors sitting on a shelf you could probably pick up for around ten bucks. They work very well, (I've actually had them in my hands), and they take an R24T filter that's still commonly available. 252-249-3222

He ships.

Aug 27, 2011
Made a helm cover this evening! This sewing stuff ain't so hard! LOL

Had to sandblast the aluminum compass mount and cover... It was bare and had 30 years of corrosion on it. Got a couple coats of self etching primer on it, gonna hit it with a few coats of white tomorrow.

Started on the massive project of varnishing all the woodwork below decks. God, that wood sucks up the varnish like a sponge! It does look nice when it is smooth and shiny.

I am a bit concerned. The Universal M-18 was installed at the factory. And there is NO raw water screen. Goes from the thru hull right to the Oberdorfer pump. Picked up a used one, I have to clean it up and install it. Also, there is no fuel/water filter either.

Some of the things that I am finding on this boat have me a bit concerned. I am not sure if it is bad manufacture or bad maintenance. Maybe it is just normal. *Shrug*

Anyway, not that much more to report... Just fixing 30 years of slack repair work...

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Aw, bigger boats just have bigger concerns man. Don't sweat it. Those are little things in the scheme of things.
I don't know if you check out "Ask All Sailors" much here, but it's nutty some of the things that get posted there. A guy on there now with a new to him Beneteau has the deck half ripped off, on account a failure of some kind. Crazy things.

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Looks as if your wasting no time getting started the projects for the "new" boat. Looking forward to some pics. Especially the varnish on the inside. Saw a video on a Irwin 52 a while back with everything inside varnished. Looked awesome!

Aug 27, 2011
I told Hillbillywanderer that there was not much to report. But as I think about it, there actually is a fair bit.

Firstly, I NEVER thought that buying a boat from a famous seamanship school in Stuart Florida would result in my severe disappointment in the maintenance of said boat. I figured, hey, they are a famous school, the care of the boat MUST be top notch.

Guess again.

Where do I start.

Lifelines. One removed due to broken swage. Tossed in engine compartment.
Another one, broken, repaired with a hardware store cable clamp, and wrapped with self amalgamating (sp?) tape. Hidden.

Raw water strainer and cooling hoses. Found where the raw water strainer was installed in the past, and removed. Hose from the thru-hull to the pump. Hose was cut at each fitting, and a LARGER diameter hose was installed over the top of the old hose!

NONE of the thru hulls had doubled up clamps.

Instead of replacing the vent line from the holding tank to the vent in the anchor locker, they spliced it with garden hose splices! And the vent was clogged with some type of epoxy or bondo, so instead of fixing it, they cut the hose up in the very front of the bow, and that allowed the overflowing holding tank to drain into the bottom of the bow under the v berth.

So, We have addressed all the issues with the plumbing items I mentioned, replacing all the old hose and clamps with new.

Oh, someone DRILLED holes in the galley sink.

The broken teak trim from the ladder area was used in the bilge to hold up wiring.

They took the bilge pump out of direct to battery wiring, and wired it to the switch panel. WHAT??? LOL

The macerator is froze up. Wires were cut and not even taped up.

The raw water impellor was last replaced in 2003 when the PO donated the boat.

I am starting to think that might have been the last time the oil was changed too.

The engine zinc was non existent.

The alternator belt was also at least 10 years old.

The screwed up part? There was a NEW impeller, zinc and belt in the galley drawer.

Also, the boat continuously takes on water. Not sure if it is all from the packing gland or not. We will try and isolate it this week. Also, something in the raw water circuit is leaking, the bottom of the engine, in the area of the dipstick tube is pretty well covered in corrosion and salt crystals. Hence all new raw water hose and clamps to be installed with my new raw water strainer.

***** session over.

Removed all the covers and wood parts from the v berth and brought them to the hanger for varnishing. Some stuff from the main cabin too.

Got a hand me down bimini installed with some ugly patches, but hey, shade is shade!

Made a nice helm cover out of some surplus sunbrella like material, bead blasted the bare aluminum compass mount and shield, self etching primer and some satin rattle can white, done and done. The wife managed to get the compass dome and card pretty clean of the 30 years of yellow uuggghhh and just have to run and get some odorless mineral spirits and refill it and reinstall it.

Still have to find a serviceable polarization crystal for the old depth finder. Get the holding tank emptied so I can get the macerator pump working again, and fix the darn lights on the stick. God, for a pilot, I really am chicken $h!t of heights! Borrowed a bosuns chair, waiting for the wind to drop off below tropical storm force to go up the stick and handle that job.

Overall, the varnish looks AMAZING, and can't wait to get it all back in the boat and get the rest done up all shiny too!

I am going to the boat tomorrow, I will take a ton of pictures and post the up here then.

Thanks all for listening to my rambling!

Oh yeah, the anchor hatch was kinda busted up, little glass and west epoxy on the inside to stiffen it up and viola! Fixed the stripped out hinge screw holes with some marine epoxy, just have to bolt it all back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.