So we decided to go big...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
I told Hillbillywanderer that there was not much to report. But as I think about it, there actually is a fair bit.

Firstly, I NEVER thought that buying a boat from a famous seamanship school in Stuart Florida would result in my severe disappointment in the maintenance of said boat. I figured, hey, they are a famous school, the care of the boat MUST be top notch.

Guess again.

Where do I start.

Lifelines. One removed due to broken swage. Tossed in engine compartment.
Another one, broken, repaired with a hardware store cable clamp, and wrapped with self amalgamating (sp?) tape. Hidden.

Raw water strainer and cooling hoses. Found where the raw water strainer was installed in the past, and removed. Hose from the thru-hull to the pump. Hose was cut at each fitting, and a LARGER diameter hose was installed over the top of the old hose!

NONE of the thru hulls had doubled up clamps.

Instead of replacing the vent line from the holding tank to the vent in the anchor locker, they spliced it with garden hose splices! And the vent was clogged with some type of epoxy or bondo, so instead of fixing it, they cut the hose up in the very front of the bow, and that allowed the overflowing holding tank to drain into the bottom of the bow under the v berth.

So, We have addressed all the issues with the plumbing items I mentioned, replacing all the old hose and clamps with new.

Oh, someone DRILLED holes in the galley sink.

The broken teak trim from the ladder area was used in the bilge to hold up wiring.

They took the bilge pump out of direct to battery wiring, and wired it to the switch panel. WHAT??? LOL

The macerator is froze up. Wires were cut and not even taped up.

The raw water impellor was last replaced in 2003 when the PO donated the boat.

I am starting to think that might have been the last time the oil was changed too.

The engine zinc was non existent.

The alternator belt was also at least 10 years old.

The screwed up part? There was a NEW impeller, zinc and belt in the galley drawer.

Also, the boat continuously takes on water. Not sure if it is all from the packing gland or not. We will try and isolate it this week. Also, something in the raw water circuit is leaking, the bottom of the engine, in the area of the dipstick tube is pretty well covered in corrosion and salt crystals. Hence all new raw water hose and clamps to be installed with my new raw water strainer.

***** session over.

Removed all the covers and wood parts from the v berth and brought them to the hanger for varnishing. Some stuff from the main cabin too.

Got a hand me down bimini installed with some ugly patches, but hey, shade is shade!

Made a nice helm cover out of some surplus sunbrella like material, bead blasted the bare aluminum compass mount and shield, self etching primer and some satin rattle can white, done and done. The wife managed to get the compass dome and card pretty clean of the 30 years of yellow uuggghhh and just have to run and get some odorless mineral spirits and refill it and reinstall it.

Still have to find a serviceable polarization crystal for the old depth finder. Get the holding tank emptied so I can get the macerator pump working again, and fix the darn lights on the stick. God, for a pilot, I really am chicken $h!t of heights! Borrowed a bosuns chair, waiting for the wind to drop off below tropical storm force to go up the stick and handle that job.

Overall, the varnish looks AMAZING, and can't wait to get it all back in the boat and get the rest done up all shiny too!

I am going to the boat tomorrow, I will take a ton of pictures and post the up here then.

Thanks all for listening to my rambling!

Oh yeah, the anchor hatch was kinda busted up, little glass and west epoxy on the inside to stiffen it up and viola! Fixed the stripped out hinge screw holes with some marine epoxy, just have to bolt it all back down.
They sell donated boats to raise money. Sorry I didn't get to warn you in time. I wouldn't buy any boat without a survey. Impossible yo insure.

Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
Nothing is a real deal breaker, I bought it at the right price. There are many things on the boat that are actually in really good shape overall. I didn't get a survey because I did my own. I knew most of these things going into the deal, with the exception of the complete lack of some basic repair work and maintenance. I would call this being exceptionally lazy. I concentrated my inspection on the critical, costly stuff, the overall structural integrity of the hull and the rigging. Sails are good, stick is good, hull is good, rudder and steering assembly is good, standing and running rigging are great, interior is in great shape and the engine runs fantastic. It will run even better when I am finished with it.

It was not a donated and resold boat. That is what kills me. It was their primary school vessel! This was the boat they taught offshore sailing in for almost 10 years! This was a boat that supposedly got inspected by the Coast Guard on a regular basis.

I actually discovered the majority of these issues during my inspection, but the gravity of what they DIDN'T do to maintain the boat blows me away. The vast majority of these issues are very easily remedied with a little labor and a few new parts. This is a almost 30 year old boat, and I knew this going in.

This school has the cash and the ability to properly maintain the school vessels. They just didn't. Come on, a clamp on a broken life line? Really? LOL I fixed it in 10 minutes for less than 10 bucks. I doubt the owners nice Mercedes in the parking lot is that easy or cheap to fix.

It's all good in the end. It is a fun project, and when it is done, it will be sooo sweet!

It is our dream, we fell in love with it the moment we saw it! We set about restoring the 22 with the intention of selling it to buy this 27. It worked!

We really do love the project aspect of it too! Once we get her dialed in, we will get many miles of water flowing past her hull. Someday, the next size we fall in love with will come around, and we will do the same thing, upgrading on a budget!

Pics to come!

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Holy crap, man. Those people were kicking the dog crap out of that boat, huh?

(You can empty the holding tank with a siphoning hose, but you gotta be careful. It's a LOT worse than siphoning gas)..

Aug 27, 2011
Ewwwww.... dude... that just grossed me out beyond anything imaginable!

They weren't necessarily kicking it as much as riding it hard and putting it away wet without a brushing or feed.

They just didn't do it right. They took care of it crap. I take care of my boats like Mike Holmes does to houses. Do it RIGHT or don't do it at all.

There are some things you can let ride, but the impeller? Really? Just pure laziness and cheapness.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Man, you would not believe it. I'm very sure that from what you've said, this boat was severely neglected. But I see them them a LOT of days that the maintenance is left alone to the point of malicious. And some don't even know. This picture of a Yanmar in a Dufour was so clean I wanted to bring it home with me, and when I questioned the owner about the impeller, you would have thought I asked about his opinion on special relativity. No clue.
And falling apart.

And yes, when I was through servicing it, I cleaned up that little puddle underneath it..

Attachments

Aug 27, 2011
quick update

Got a few pics with the phone today.

Got quite a bit finished up and accomplished today. It was so damn windy, I was afraid of the moorings breaking free! No darn way I was going back up that stick in that bosuns chair either!

Yeah, I decided that job is not that bad, but sure as heck ain't my favorite!

We got the new hose from the pump to the heat exchanger installed, the refurbished raw water strainer and associated hoses installed and permanently mounted, some of the woodwork (now bright work?) put back in, and the folding helm table put back on.

Also, we threw on another coat of varnish on a bunch more parts in the hanger today too.

Coming along! At least now, the engine is back to being usable, so if we wanted to get in the wind we could.

Also, I found out that seagulls and Beechcraft King Air 200's don't mix. Clobbered one at about 110 KTS right at take off the other day. One hell of a dent! And one dead bird!

Oh yeah, when you take the zinc out of the heat exchanger, and you thought it was a simple plug.... you know you have slack a$$ maintenance.

Left side, old, right new. :eek::eek:

Attachments

Last edited:

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Looking good, what varnish are you using?

I tried Interlux Schooner last year on the inside of my dinghy to say I'm sold would be an understatement...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that zinc hasn't been changed in....forever..:eek:

Aug 27, 2011
I think in 2000 was the last time the Zinc was changed.

I bought a gallon of solvent based spar varnish from Ace. It was Ace brand varnish. It is made by the same people that just won the overall paint competition versus the likes of Benjamin Moore and Behr etc., Clark & Kensington.

It is great! So easy to apply and it comes out nice. Doesn't hide screw ups, is a bit on the thinner side, so you have to apply it in thinner layers, but it is quite nice. I think if I had to do it over again, I would spray it. Straight, no thinner!

And the best part? About 30 bucks for a GALLON!

Aug 27, 2011
We got a good bit of interior woodwork installed today, post varnishing. Looking real good, once we get the interior all done, it will look great!

Exterior stills needs some TLC, we have to remove the ugly red faded stripe from near the waterline, get the transom polished so we can apply the new lettering, and get some chipped out gel coat on the corners fixed up.

With the wonderful help of Merlinuxo, we got the new starboard bilge covers made, and boy do they fit and work great! All for 50 bucks and a bit of labor.

Got the original compass put back together and refilled with odorless mineral spirits and put back on the pedestal. The dome was somewhat salvaged by my ever patient wife, and will remain serviceable for the near future. I would love to get one of the nice blue and white Ritche ones to replace it.

We did get the nice helm cover we made and looking great, the winch covers done, and the patchwork bimini up and good.

We are going to trade a buddy of mine the maroon mainsail cover for a blue one.

Coming along nicely! This weekend, time to get some air in the sails!

Time for play not work!

:D:D

Attachments

Aug 27, 2011
Thank you all very much! We do our best. We actually went out motoring the canals for about an hour tonight. Had to get some water past the hull.

Felt good to relax a little and not work.

More updates and pics to come.

:)

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
"wonderful help" was me watching and offering bad advice!
Thanks for the visit. Good to see you guys out using the boat.

Aug 27, 2011
Bottom cleaning...

Well.... sigh... Not much to report lately. Moved, had a tooth pulled, still hurts like hell, broke a rib, that too still hurts like hell.

Had a diver check the bottom today. Had a shake in the prop, wondered if it was dirty.

Diver called me back after spending just over 2 hours cleaning.

3 inches on the prop of barnacles.

A foot and a half of oysters, coral, barnacles etc at the keel hull joint.

Some of the sea grass was over a foot long.

Zinc on the shaft was good, so I know they must have put a zinc on it at some point.

No excuses for the bottom to be that bad. Diver said it must have been years since it was done last.

We know we need bottom paint, hoping to get a few months out of it before we do. Regular sailing and cleaning should help.

Put it this way, she is sitting 6 INCHES higher out of the water than before the cleaning! Acceleration is fast, RPM is near 2800 rpm, and she leaves a wake!

Looking forward to moving it to the marina this week!

Aug 27, 2011
How much weight do you figure that boat had in growth on it to cause it to sit 6 inches lower in the water?

I estimated 2000 pounds at least...

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Sounds like your boat had what I thought ours would when we pulled it. Makes a few clams on my keel look like a luck break.

Status
Not open for further replies.