So we decided to go big...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
We decided to go big and do a somewhat major re-fit of our 22, Mischief Managed.

Placed a big order to Catalina Direct, got all new Starboard Crib boards, and the holder rails, sliding top rails, hand rails, all rope halyards, new mast step (old one got ripped out and subsequently run over by a car at 60 mph, long story), all new standing rigging, bottom job, rebuilt the trailer, new motor mount...
Phew...LOL

AND we decided to paint the deck. The gel coat is destroyed...loads of crazing, some very large cracks, just ugly all the way around. Just curious, has anyone out there done the same job? Our boat sat under a willow tree in the Florida sun for 25 years. What type of fillers etc. does everyone have good experience with? We plan on using up the last of the 2 part Poly aircraft paint we have left over from the restoration of our Champ, so the topcoat is pretty much compatible with anything.

I was thinking West epoxy and light filler for the big stuff and a high build epoxy primer for the rest? Thoughts?

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Plan

Sounds like a solid plan!! I've done two bottom jobs (one had a lightning strike). I used west epoxy on both along with there 407 filler. It has a reddish brown color but sanding is much easier than some pf the others...

Good luck, take plenty of pictures keep us posted on your progress. :D

Jul 18, 2011
Catalina 22 Clinton
KingAirDriver said:
We decided to go big and do a somewhat major re-fit of our 22, Mischief Managed.

Placed a big order to Catalina Direct, got all new Starboard Crib boards, and the holder rails, sliding top rails, hand rails, all rope halyards, new mast step (old one got ripped out and subsequently run over by a car at 60 mph, long story), all new standing rigging, bottom job, rebuilt the trailer, new motor mount...
Phew...LOL

AND we decided to paint the deck. The gel coat is destroyed...loads of crazing, some very large cracks, just ugly all the way around. Just curious, has anyone out there done the same job? Our boat sat under a willow tree in the Florida sun for 25 years. What type of fillers etc. does everyone have good experience with? We plan on using up the last of the 2 part Poly aircraft paint we have left over from the restoration of our Champ, so the topcoat is pretty much compatible with anything.

I was thinking West epoxy and light filler for the big stuff and a high build epoxy primer for the rest? Thoughts?
We are doing almost the same. I almost have all the hardware off the deck. I was planning on using the west system resin as well.

Are you going with white or an off white?

Aug 27, 2011
We put the boat in the hanger today, (poor Champ had to be left outside for the day! LOL)

Got all the hardware off the deck, test sanded an area of bad crazing, and thank god it doesn't seem like it will be too bad a job. We plan on rolling on 1 coat of epoxy primer and doing a 220 wet sand. If it looks good enough, we will roll and tip the 2 part poly. If not, we will hit it with another coat of epoxy primer. We will take some pictures tomorrow and post them up.

Upon closer inspection and probing...we determined the few areas that I though were bad were not, so I just picked up a small thing of marine body filler. That should take care of the small areas. The rest will be handled by the epoxy primer. There are 2 areas that will get epoxy filler, but I am going to cheat and use tube epoxy and some talc. Very small areas and it should not matter too much, they are just deeper cracks on the corner by the cockpit area, a place where the gel coat was VERY thick.

Was figuring on leaving the windows intact. I am afraid to remove them, as they really don't leak at all. I am terrified that if I remove them for the paint process, even though I have the good butyl tape, that they will leak. Thoughts?

I am using aircraft products for the paint as I have them left over. I have 2 1 quart kits of Epoxy primer, 1 each in light green, and 1 in white. And I have about a quart and a half of Dakota White (pretty darn bright white! LOL) of 2 part Poly. Both of these products double when mixed with catalyst and thinner for spraying. Any thoughts on how a mixture for spraying will do roll/tip? And I figure there is plenty of product for the job we need to do. We plan on using that KiwiGrip in light blue for the non-skid areas.

The paint that I am using is from Randolph Products. It is intended for use on aircraft metal, fiberglass and fabric covered. It is designed for outdoor exposure of 20+ years. So I figure it should be fine for the deck of the boat. I debated using a flattening agent for the smooth portions of the deck, but the non skid will dull the deck down as a whole.

Now I just have to figure out how to set up the halyards aft the way I want, and where to get some new jib track. I am not real sure our existing track is worth salvaging.

Pics tomorrow.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Pulling the windows is no biggee, seeing as how you have butyl it should go smoothly. I hesitate to advise taking them out if they don't leak, but if it were ME, I wouldn't hesitate. The paint job will be easier, look nicer, and with all your hard work, preventive sealing of the windows can not be a bad thing. It's when you take the windows apart that generally cause the most "problems", not taking them in or out, that job is a whiz bang.

When you go back with your track, you might want to consider a 1" track, as apposed to the 15/16" that's probably there now. Your car options are a lot better.

Aug 27, 2011
OK... I give up...what the heck size bolts go into the swing keel mounts? CatDirect has the kit, but not the sizes...ughhhh... Anyone know the diameter, thread and length? Please??
I am only asking, because I want to get new ones BEFORE, I try and remove the old ones...already have one missing...

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Negative, it's course, 5/16-18. You would think it is fine thread, (24 pitch), but it isn't.
It baffles me why, like a lot of things with this arrangement, I can think of 3 different things off the top of my head that would be different here, but Frank didn't ask me, go figure. But if I were so smart, there would be a thousand Patterson Yachts running around out there, haha.
BTW, they use lock washers, no flat washer, and blue Loctite as well. The best you're probably going to manage is a 1/4" drive socket in there as well. I did a little machine work on my last set that changed that situation though. Be vewy, vewy careful not to strip or break the bolt, drilling a S.S. bolt out of that silly stainless weldment is a tough one, right straight over you head. Trust me, the prior owner left me that challenge..

Aug 27, 2011
Anyone have any thoughts on using a PVC "T" for the tips of the spreaders? My lovely bride suggested it, and for the life of me I couldn't come up with a good reason why not. Anyone have any input?

cjb300

May 29, 2012
Catalina 22 Mandeville, LA
Well, one argument could be that since the spreader boots are there to protect your sail from chafe and the edges of the PVC 'could' possibly chafe your sails. If you use PVC T's i would make sure all edges are sanded smooth.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
King Air, being the cheap scoundrel that I am, ie: poor, I bought a couple of those rubber chair leg boots that people put on them to keep from scratching the floors. I cut two slits in them for the shrouds, and put white tie wraps to hold them on, and they work great. 25+ bucks for a spreader boot? If I ever did something that silly, I'd hope my lovely bride would have me committed..

Erieau

Apr 3, 2009
Oday 25 Erieau
"Poor" is a state of mind.
"Broke" is merely a financial condition.
I hope that you, like me, are only broke.

Aug 27, 2011
Oh boy...we are screwed... The "missing" keel bolt was not just missing, it is broken off up inside...Sooo...I attempt to remove one on the other side, starts to turn nicely, and promptly breaks off half way up inside. Ughhhh... Looks like the we are going to be dropping the keel, good a time as any to effect the required repairs. But I am dreading the removal of the broken (will more than likely be all four) keel bolts.

Anyone have to deal with this? How bad a job is it really? The probability of the keel bolts being OEM from 1978 is very high. And the boat has been docked in brackish water for the past 12 months.

Sigh...any words of encouragement are welcome right now. I was praying this was not going to be a nightmare...

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
How about drilling out and re-treading for the next size bolt?
On the ones that aren't broken off, Autozone now carries a cold shock type product. Might help break the bond.
If you need any tools, floor jack, 4x4 chunks, bad advice give me a yell.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I have done this job recently. You can not drill it oversize, there is not enough material there to do it. The bolt is 5/16"-18. You will have to drill the weldment out 1" deep, and a bottom tap will have to be used to finish out the hole threads. I took a looooong time doing it, so as not to overheat the bit, or the fiberglass around it. NO cutting fluid would stay on the bit more than a couple of seconds, as you're drilling straight up, over you face, (it ain't pretty). I ended up having luck with Antisieze as a cutting fluid. There may be three hundred arguments about why Antisieze is not a proper cutting fluid, but it stayed on the bit fairly well, and it did drill the hole. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES!! The hot stainless chips are real fun in your face.
All in all, it wasn't very bad. It just took some patience. But I've drilled out and tapped hundreds of bolts before, so I can't say this is an opportunity to start learning how. If you break the drill or tap off in the hole, nothing will save the day. Glassing in another weldment would be the only recourse.
You can do it man. Just be slow.

Attachments

Aug 27, 2011
Chris, what are the chances of them coming out with a center drill and EZout? Perhaps some MouseMilk and a heat gun and an EZOut? maybe? please? LOL

Why does it look like there are flat head countersunk screws in those weldments? Are they screwed in and then glassed over?

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I guess, just guess, that from the factory that that screw just held it in place until the glass cured or something? I'm really not sure, the new replacement weldment doesn't have that hole at all, nor do I see a reason for it.
An easy out may work, it is worth a try, you have little to lose. You are going to drill it anyway, so by all means try it. It would not budge for me, I tried that first. There again, if an extractor breaks off in it, mmmm, big trouble, there's no drilling that thing out. I guess that is where a lot of experience with these things come in, knowing where that threshold is between "it might move, or it's gonna break".
That said, I've broken many taps, drills, and extractors in my dealings. Some critical, some not. And while glassing in another weldment would by no means be fun, it too, can be done.
But by all means try it. Once you relief drill it, with copious amounts of PBlaster, (my drug of choice), as you're peck, peck, pecking on the easyout, it might break free. Especially if you drill all the way through to the bottom,(top, whichever), of the broken bolt, and the penetrant can get through to the other side, it's only a plus. The weldment is exactly one inch deep by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.